How long before a team is killed in a plane crash?

Remove this Banner Ad

I guess it would come down to who the team was, and if it really mattered.

Say it was Norf for example, you'd be pretty mad if you didn't get the points 'cause their plane crashed.
But say the AFL decided to write off the entire round and a team kicked up a stink about losing points. That would be a very bad look and there would be a MASSIVE public backlash against that team. Arguing about points when a lot of people have just died? I don't think any club would do it.

Are you saying the team whose plane crashed should get the points? Technically it would be the team they were playing who would get the points as it would be a forfeit. But the AFL would never do that.

One thing not mentioned. What would the AFL do for the rest of the season for the team whose plane crashed? They could let them use top ups but then they would just be a basket case for the rest of the season and beyond. How would they recover for the next season?

Gee, you post the most interesting scenarios.

I guess it would come down to who the team was, and if it really mattered.

Say it was Norf for example, you'd be pretty mad if you didn't get the points 'cause their plane crashed.

You think honestly think supporters of any club would be more upset about loss of premiership points than the tragic loss of human life under your hypothetical scenario ?

Give yourself an uppercut.

You think honestly think supporters of any club would be more upset about loss of premiership points than the tragic loss of human life under your hypothetical scenario ?

Give yourself an uppercut.
What if Carlton missed the finals becaused Norfs plane crashed?

Footy Is The Win I have been thinking about this a lot. You can't say it will never happen, because things do happen.

What if it was the grand final and an interstate team (or Geelong) were playing and their plane/bus crashed?

The AFL wouldn't give the premiership to the other team. Who'd want to win a premiership under those circumstances?

I'd say they would call it off. There would just be no premiership awarded that year.

Footy Is The Win I have been thinking about this a lot. You can't say it will never happen, because things do happen.

What if it was the grand final and an interstate team (or Geelong) were playing and their plane/bus crashed?

The AFL wouldn't give the premiership to the other team. Who'd want to win a premiership under those circumstances?

I'd say they would call it off. There would just be no premiership awarded that year.
What if you finished higher on the ladder though? Shouldn't there be a Duckworth-Lewis rule or something?

I mean, the dead team can't really accept it anyway. :shrug:

I think you seriously underestimate the greed of the AFL

Besides, why should the season be called off if, for example, Worst Coast's plane crashed in 2023 (rather than the train wreck they actually suffered)

Think of the heartache their supporters would have been saved

Last edited:
What if you finished higher on the ladder though? Shouldn't there be a Duckworth-Lewis rule or something?

I mean, the dead team can't really accept it anyway. :shrug:
But if they did that it would always have a * next to it. Would the winning team even celebrate? They would basically be celebrating the death of another team. Do you think they would get 100k into the MCG, have a minutes silence and they give the surviving team the cup? AFL, probably would.

I think you seriously underestimate the greed of the AFL

Besides, why should the season be called off if, for example, Worst Coast's plane crashed in 2023 (rather than the train wreck they actually suffered)

Think of the heartache their supporters would have been saved
That is true, they would never call off the season. Look at what they did when COVID was at its worst and many people were dying. Couldn't give a s**t, just need the $$$.

This is a most interesting conundrum.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They'd just have to do what they did in Australian Idol Season 1 when Cosima Devito had nodes and Nollsy made it through by default and was then robbed. Highest ranked loser of the prelim advances as the cinderalla story admist tragedy

They'd just have to do what they did in Australian Idol Season 1 when Cosima Devito had nodes and Nollsy made it through by default and was then robbed. Highest ranked loser of the prelim advances as the cinderalla story admist tragedy
Didn't think of that. Let a prelim loser replace them. There would surely by a public blacklash when people should be mourning, I wonder if the AFL would do it.

Didn't think of that. Let a prelim loser replace them. There would surely by a public blacklash when people should be mourning, I wonder if the AFL would do it.
It should just be a walkover. The other team didn't show. Kind of sucks though 'cause you'd get no %.

For example, you were playing the bottom team and were prolly gonna beat 'em by 12 goals but their plane crashed, so you only get the 4 points and not the % boost that other teams got when they played 'em. :shrug:

In the case of a final, I guess it's just bad luck your team died.

At least we know it’ll never be the Pies
Yeah because we didn't join the league last week and are not prepared to fly around the country to play in cow paddocks.

Come at us or fade into obscurity.

giphy.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back