Society/Culture How long can the developed world stay in business lock down?

Remove this Banner Ad

The standard of "discourse" on SRP:

3vgaqs.jpg

LMAO!!!! One of the funniest memes I've ever seen.

IF for example McGowan decides NO ONE is to leave their property then how does one get food and essentials? That would require a regimented state to 'home deliver' such things. Martial law, if not there'll be citizens doing all sorts of crazy things to survive, anarchy.

If the government told people they can't leave their property (which would obviously never happen) then people would literally reach breaking point and say "* this" and it would have the opposite of the desired effect. Aside from that, they'd have no chance in hell of enforcing something like that.

The most questionable thing to me is that the WA government has forced gun shops to close "in the interests of community safety". But is there something else we're not being told? Was the forced closure of gun shops preceded by an increase in the numer of people attempting to purchase firearms, similar to what happened with toilet paper and hand sanitizer?

Are these gun shops all going to go under and never be able to re-open? (consider that these measures are going to be in place for minimum 6 months). Nobody seems to be asking the question. Is the government exploiting this opportunity to enforce such measures indefinately while nobody will protest or ask questions because of the lockdown and social distancing regulations?

Pretty much what they did in china - food delivered - stay home

course they can say stay home or you cop a bullet

sometimes being a totalitarian state has its advantages (i guess - not willing to find out)

im super proud of the politicians in this country pretty much stfu and getting the job done

the oppositions especially - all they can do atm is make suggestions that the respective pm / premier will wear the kudos for.

morrison started slow out of the blocks - then hit stride - i cant believe its the same insipid useless waste of space that he was in the fires..... hes grown as a leader massively - to understand how far you have to understand that the hard right / ipa do not want him to do what he’s doing.

hed be under immense pressure to do precisely nothing - the hard right / ipa would have us in tent cities eating from soup kitchens..... well those who survived anyway

- all the better for them to wind back every working condition to zero....

hes resisting that and doing the right think for the country and has dropped his ideological ballast on the way.

im the first to give the guy brickbats and im pretty happy to be giving him kudos in this case.

That's a great post Kranky!

I have to agree re the political behaviour in that it is nearly non existent. If it weren't for this virus imagine the potential of the leaders in government and opposition and the potential of the society we live in. Sad reality is once this is over and it will be, the s**t fighting will return (insert eye roll here).

It seems right now in wa at least we're in semi lock down, all regions are off limits to each other but we can still go to market to get food and essentials even non essentials. A balancing act if you will, the economy is ever so slowly ticking over but we are separated from each other as much as this scenario allows. Great leadership McGowan.

If the government told people they can't leave their property (which would obviously never happen) then people would literally reach breaking point and say "fu** this" and it would have the opposite of the desired effect. Aside from that, they'd have no chance in hell of enforcing something like that.

The most questionable thing to me is that the WA government has forced gun shops to close "in the interests of community safety". But is there something else we're not being told? Was the forced closure of gun shops preceded by an increase in the numer of people attempting to purchase firearms, similar to what happened with toilet paper and hand sanitizer?

Are these gun shops all going to go under and never be able to re-open? (consider that these measures are going to be in place for minimum 6 months). Nobody seems to be asking the question. Is the government exploiting this opportunity to enforce such measures indefinately while nobody will protest or ask questions because of the lockdown and social distancing regulations?

Some good points, I'm not suggesting that martial will be able to have every citizen pull into line, the vast majority yes. Even in the hardest communist societies there are those that are in active opposition to it. Can't possibly police everyone I agree.

However it's evident from the last few weeks that the majority of Australia's population are being compliant with the requests of all the governments and oppositions. And it's only being mildly policed, yet the citizens in a liberal democratic capitalist society are complying.

As far as the gun shop owners that is fair speculation, to be honest I'm kind of glad that it does stop panic buying of fire arms. Nothing worse than a panic merchant with a fire arm in a regimented state. If we ever got there.

People saying we have only 2 options lol. ie Lockdown until there's a vaccine or let it infect 15 million people and many die.

Doomsdayers are worried we may never develop a vaccine. It doesn't matter as we can develop herd immunity safely. Stay in lockdown until we have antivirals that inhibit the virus ability to replicate in vivo. We will definitely have those within 18 months

I think many pundits have made a very good point.

The jobless, depressed and suicidals don't make headlines. Politicians don't care about them.

The number of people, mostly the vulnerable (old, obese, smokers, druggies, vegans, underlying conditions, etc.), who will die from COVID-19 will increase if the economy is allowed to resume and the politicians will be castigated if the number of deaths from this demographic spikes.

The politicians can't fully empathize with those who are losing their jobs or businesses. They still have a job and will remain in power nonetheless. Best to minimize the number of reported deaths to protect their reputations and remain electable.

It is highly ironic that in the modern age, during a pandemic such as this, it is more about the "survival of the unfittest", as opposed to the contrary. Then again, you could argue that having a propensity to take care of its more vulnerable is why humanity has thrived for as long as it has. I can accept that.

Disclaimer: No, I did not lose my job and, no, I am not depressed.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back