How Long Can We Stay with Holden?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes. Some of them she reviewed. Basically they have a program which detects the % of a paper that has been plagiarised. That even accounts for a paper that was submitted by another student. She was very disillusioned by the whole thing arguing the Uni shouldn’t be compromising standards for overseas students. But they provide valuable $$$ to the Universities which they don’t want to risk.
That level of corruption would make world news.

Stats can be misleading at worst, and I agree that at best they only ever tell part of the story. Still, the stats I used allow some reasonable implications to be drawn from them, buttressed by other facts, and overall I'm satisfied that my point has been made well enough for the back and forth of Big Footy.

The increasing reliance on international students does come with challenges, no doubt, and a lot of risks to the university bottom line if these lucrative 'markets' dry up. The advantages are also plenty, and more than financial. But the topic is hefty, and I'm feeling more and more bashful about the detour this Holden thread is taking.
What are these advantages of which you speak?

Anyway, my closing comment, before I get modded for going off piste again, is that by all means have foreign students, but when the intake has reached a stage where it morphs into a business/industry (real estate/visas/main source of revenue for tertiary institutions/associated special interests etc) then it is no longer purely education per se. As evidenced by the associated shills, hucksters and grifters leveraging this bonanza.

And as another example of the educational downside, I had pressure put on me by the Dean of the faculty at which I was at the time a visiting lecturer to pass the full fee paying international students. And this was at a faculty of one of the traditional professions - not alphabet soup gender studies/whatever.

I think I went into some detail on this vignette some years ago in some other BF thread - but while I really enjoyed being a lecturer [my wife would agree] in the end, after a few years, I gave it up [at that faculty].

I understand as I got of track and posted the Chinese do not send there best students to Australia.
Cheers jmac70
But others have commented on there poor vocabulary skills etc writing.
The other part of the article and I wish I bookmarked it seemed to be more about group studies counting to the students score.
So it seemed to me the English speaking person had to carry the load on such group assignments.

What are these advantages of which you speak?

Anyway, my closing comment, before I get modded for going off piste again, is that by all means have foreign students, but when the intake has reached a stage where it morphs into a business/industry (real estate/visas/main source of revenue for tertiary institutions/associated special interests etc) then it is no longer purely education per se. As evidenced by the associated shills, hucksters and grifters leveraging this bonanza.

And as another example of the educational downside, I had pressure put on me by the Dean of the faculty at which I was at the time a visiting lecturer to pass the full fee paying international students. And this was at a faculty of one of the traditional professions - not alphabet soup gender studies/whatever.

I think I went into some detail on this vignette some years ago in some other BF thread - but while I really enjoyed being a lecturer [my wife would agree] in the end, after a few years, I gave it up [at that faculty].

As I said, I made the point I wanted to make and now I'm happy enough to leave the topic alone. If it reappears in a relevant thread then I might pop in and offer my wayward version of wisdom.

I understand as I got of track and posted the Chinese do not send there best students to Australia.
Cheers jmac70
But others have commented on there poor vocabulary skills etc writing.
The other part of the article and I wish I bookmarked it seemed to be more about group studies counting to the students score.
So it seemed to me the English speaking person had to carry the load on such group assignments.
Please don’t take this the wrong way, but you comment on poor vocabulary skills, and yet your post is littered with them. What is your point?

Obese Arachnid said:
I ain't no word smiff but the balded above is incorrect I believe.
It always hurts to be balded above...

jmac70 said:
It always hurts to be balded above...
LOL got me with a ninja edit, have deleted post.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of all the many weird and wonderful things in this thread (thanks to Apples for kicking it off) I feel I must raise strong objections to this one, in the name of safety, indeed in the interests of our survival as a club.

The Yarra side? No. No absolutely not. Our club is just. Our club is sensible, unlike some supporters on here. For they know the terrible truth about what may lurk, even cavort, in the murky depths of the Yarra.

I speak, of course, of ponies.

Only a fool would advertise our presence at all on that side, the one closest to danger. For as anyone with half a brain knows, the worst, the most violent and most dangerous of ponies come by water. One day they will be swimming, casually as these ponies do, past the Holden centre on their way to more target rich environments upstream. And what would you do? Put up a big ******* sign saying "unleash your unspeakableness here" in a language ponies understand (for the record, ponies speak English, Finnish, and other scandinavian tongues mostly. In Finnish, that same sign says "liberally minded svelte buoyant waterfowl here" which also, by a tragic coincidence, is a pony attractant).

What will you do then, when the ponies divert their course and come inside, like Playschool, but Playschool as done by Sam Peckinpah? Even Walshy will struggle to pretend our players are only suffering from minor injuries that are short to medium term when their viscera are draped over the Holden Centre facade like gory Christmas Tinsel.

No, we should continue to keep the lowest of low profiles on that side, nobody here, move along, and direct the ponies upstream to more suitable locales, such as Richmond or Hawthorn, where they can feast on the flesh of hipsters or merchant bankers, because lets face it, both those populations need some culling. Or better, Richmond supporters. And then they may set up camp, like the bats moved from the Botanic gardens, attracted by the close proximity of kale based beverages and fresh classes of private school students every year and forget about us, and our modest home, and do God's work in suppressing two clubs who absolutely deserve a ******* pony incursion right up their collective [censored].

So let us speak no more of this. Or they might hear...
I had some kale 🥬 on my smashed avocado 🥑 yesterday. It wasn’t bad.
Although, I’ve been unable to get off the toilet today 💩

Of all the many weird and wonderful things in this thread (thanks to Apples for kicking it off) I feel I must raise strong objections to this one, in the name of safety, indeed in the interests of our survival as a club.

The Yarra side? No. No absolutely not. Our club is just. Our club is sensible, unlike some supporters on here. For they know the terrible truth about what may lurk, even cavort, in the murky depths of the Yarra.

I speak, of course, of ponies.

Only a fool would advertise our presence at all on that side, the one closest to danger. For as anyone with half a brain knows, the worst, the most violent and most dangerous of ponies come by water. One day they will be swimming, casually as these ponies do, past the Holden centre on their way to more target rich environments upstream. And what would you do? Put up a big ******* sign saying "unleash your unspeakableness here" in a language ponies understand (for the record, ponies speak English, Finnish, and other scandinavian tongues mostly. In Finnish, that same sign says "liberally minded svelte buoyant waterfowl here" which also, by a tragic coincidence, is a pony attractant).

What will you do then, when the ponies divert their course and come inside, like Playschool, but Playschool as done by Sam Peckinpah? Even Walshy will struggle to pretend our players are only suffering from minor injuries that are short to medium term when their viscera are draped over the Holden Centre facade like gory Christmas Tinsel.

No, we should continue to keep the lowest of low profiles on that side, nobody here, move along, and direct the ponies upstream to more suitable locales, such as Richmond or Hawthorn, where they can feast on the flesh of hipsters or merchant bankers, because lets face it, both those populations need some culling. Or better, Richmond supporters. And then they may set up camp, like the bats moved from the Botanic gardens, attracted by the close proximity of kale based beverages and fresh classes of private school students every year and forget about us, and our modest home, and do God's work in suppressing two clubs who absolutely deserve a ******* pony incursion right up their collective [censored].

So let us speak no more of this. Or they might hear...
Awesome post.

Can you PM me details of what you're taking? o_O

Dave Buttner.png

This is Dave Buttner after signing on the dotted line for a new Toyota. Dave, in case you are unaware, is the newly-ex boss of Holden in Australia. Before that, he was the head honcho at Toyota.

It seems Dave couldn't wait to ditch his Holden Colorado and buy a Toyota; most certainly getting a better deal than any of us could negotiate.

This says more about Holden than thousands of words could. Even their recently resigned CEO, couldn't wait to dump Holden.
What is Collingwood waiting for?

And yes, I know it's all about money and contracts, but they are negotiable. After Eddie's on-air gaff with the disabled woman last year, Holden considered its position and contemplated dumping Collingwood.

Surely Collingwood could say the association with Australia's Biggest Loser is not compatible with its fine image.

^It comes at a challenging time. To dump a major sponsor when we've taken the approach of (appropriately) dumping pokies revenue and are filling that hole still.
It may happen, but I'm not guessing that it will.

The problem with big companies or footy clubs playing the woke or political angle, is they become a laughing stock if they are inconsistent and choose money over ethics. The NBA and China was a good recent example.

You also have sponsorship from drug and alcohol and betting companies which some find inappropriate. Apparel made in sweat shops by Nike and co.

I think rather than saving the world (although happy to help out the good people in our community where possible) we just focus on winning flags more often. There’s enough dickhead slactivists to make up for our absence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back