How long does Adam Simpsons have left?

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Apples and oranges
Demanding media services focus on a club that hadn’t played for 6 weeks and most of its players were on end of season trips is next level deranged

IMG_0118.JPG

Almost perfect

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
They made an absolute meal out of 2020 which now with hindsight was a great year for experienced sides with settled game plans. Shorter games to ease the wear and tear. Interrupted training schedules impacting young players and teams. Had the Eagles got the hub right they would've been clearly top 4 and had a real crack at it.

The covid situation in the west this year has probably done the Eagles and Simmo a big favour. There's no heat on him and they can stock up at the draft. They've already changed some assistant coaches and so it will be interesting to see if the new guys are as good as the old guys were. Simpson's had a knack for finding quality assistants.

Will be interesting to see if they are aggressive at training out players for extra picks, there's not a lot of great options to bring in top picks but there's probably ways to get in to the 2nd or 3rd round

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
I want our club to get out of their complacent, average is ok world we live in. If that takes freo having some success I don't care.
As much as i like hanging s**t on freo fans ive got long suffering mates who deserve some joy.

Id much rather they win than some dusty vic club that should have been dropped to the vfl or moved interstate 20 years ago.

May 2, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
As much as i like hanging s**t on freo fans ive got long suffering mates who deserve some joy.

Id much rather they win than some dusty vic club that should have been dropped to the vfl or moved interstate 20 years ago.
Ok Kranky, calm down mate. You had your 15 minutes..

1650950016386.png

masai tu

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2021
AFL Club
Fremantle

Kranky, I agree with your point about complacency.

Sometimes we just think that things will correct themselves, and all will end up well. Sometimes you have to have a good hard look and see if things can be done better. The Eagles have been pretty successful, but they have lost the hunter syndrome. They are comfortable, not being aggressively attacking to improve ( on & off field ).

Case in point is the fitness of players. Let’s call a spade a spade, .... a number of Eagles are nowhere near good playing weights. The fitness staff have dropped the ball, maybe partly due to soft cap reductions. Accept that the players are “unfit”, actively do something about it, but stop defending the indefensible.

We all need a good kick in the butt every now and then, it keeps us on our toes.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth

Sometimes we just think that things will correct themselves, and all will end up well. Sometimes you have to have a good hard look and see if things can be done better. The Eagles have been pretty successful, but they have lost the hunter syndrome. They are comfortable, not being aggressively attacking to improve ( on & off field ).

Case in point is the fitness of players. Let’s call a spade a spade, .... a number of Eagles are nowhere near good playing weights. The fitness staff have dropped the ball, maybe partly due to soft cap reductions. Accept that the players are “unfit”, actively do something about it, but stop defending the indefensible.

We all need a good kick in the butt every now and then, it keeps us on our toes.
Well youve just put what i think in much politer terms than i would.

The eagles need a funking rocket up the arse is my take.

WCE Wizard

Premiership Player
Jun 14, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast

Pretty much sums it up they look and feel unfit to me hence not running at full pace to either get the ball or create space or chase down tackles need a swift kick up the backside

Any coach who wins a premiership deserves the opportunity to have a crack at a rebuild imo

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

This. Mega credits for winning a flag. They've tried to keep going with the same players but a rebuild needs to happen. There are a few youngsters to build around. Give him a shot at it.

This. Mega credits for winning a flag. They've tried to keep going with the same players but a rebuild needs to happen. There are a few youngsters to build around. Give him a shot at it.
Yeah he has won a premiership with them so he should be given first crack at trying to build another premiership team.

I reckon but midpoint in the year they will start winding up a few old blokes and going full rebuild/tank mode

stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
Think they'd go for Jarrad Schofield if Simpson doesn't want to see out his contract.

One of the local scribes on radio reckons he was told by a WC official that Simmo has the coaching job for as long as he wants it. i.e. When the time comes we don't want to sack you, we want you to fall on your sword.

Last edited:

Freo

Club Legend
Aug 20, 2009
Somewhere between Preston Point and Bicton Baths
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Lakers
My take - Simpson is a very good coach in a strong club. He has had the benefit of some generational players and a history of good drafting.
Problem is like most successful teams, eventually father time catches up and your best players are old and on the way out. There is very little quality youth coming through and their middle age players are mostly pretty average role players with the exception of Ryan et al.
West Coast are going to be down for 3-5 years. They need the hit the draft hard.
Surprisingly as a Freo supporter, I am not jumping for joy at their predicament. Kinda feel pity for them, almost.

DanWA

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle Sharks
Think they'd go for Jarrad Schofield if Simpson doesn't want to see out his contract.

One of the local scribes on radio reckons he was told by a WC official that Simmo has the coaching job for as long as he wants it. i.e. When the time comes we don't want to sack you, we want you to fall on your sword.
I think we would go Jayme Graham over Jarrad Schofield

masai tu

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2021
AFL Club
Fremantle
Sadly that would be the logical replacement. Seems to have a great feel for the game and connection with his players.

Hang on, hang on, ..... I was told at the start of this season that Graham was a dud, an Eagles reject. Happy to move him on.

Now I’m hearing that Eagles fans see him as the messiah.

Geez I can’t keep up.

stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
There's a fellow that rings up 6pr every night about the Eagles and if he's not 100% right, the times he isn't doesn't matter. Apparently he already has a job as a truck driver but it wouldn't hurt WC match committee to at least ask and see if he wants to get involved in picking the team. Donny From Spearwood. Make the call, Nissy.

Back