Misc Footy how long is too long to be out of the game?

Remove this Banner Ad

MrNatural

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Indiana Pacers
I have played footy for most of my life.
Played Auskick from a young age, then started playing competitively when i was 11-12.
Injuries have slowed me down since i was 17 (now 24). In the last 6-7 years ive only managed 1 full season of footy without a missing a game.
The reason for this was injuries, a shoulder reco, then a knee injury in 2010. In that time i have had a falling out with my original junior/senior club, and switched clubs a number of times.
I injured my knee in Rd 1 of 2010 and since then havent really had much of a crack at footy.
Since late last year, i have managed to lose over 20kgs of weight and gotten back into shape (better shape than i was).
Up until recently, i had written off playing footy this year, but now ive had a couple of mates ask me to come down to their clubs to play and now its got my footy passion back a bit.
The question i have is this, how long is too long to be out of the game? Assuming i dont play this year and start up again next season, ill be 25 and hadnt played a full season of footy since i was 19-20.
Im now questioning my previous decision to write off this year, as now i feel i could use this year as a stepping stone to taking the game for more serious next season.
The only thing that is holding me back at the moment are the following.
- My body: i want to lose another 10-15kg before im down to an ideal weight, and i dont want to play footy unless im close to a normal weight. But another part of me thinks that footy will speed up my weight loss more than what im doing currently.
- My knee: When i injured my knee in 2010, i tore my meniscus and partially tore my ACL (which is rare). I had surgery to repair the meniscus, but was told by the surgeon that my ACL would not require a reco, and would be able to handle the pressure of AFL football. I have played cricket over the past 2 seasons without any major issues with my knee. It seems the knee has become more of a psychological issue than a physical issue. So it plays on my mind.
- Finding the right club: I have played for 3 clubs over my career. Still feel an attachment to my original club, but i feel now that my race was run at the club and need to move on. Ive been asked by a number of mates to play at a number of clubs, and im finding it hard to decide (if i play) which club i want to play for. I would most enjoy playing with mates i know and hopefully win a few games (havent played in successful teams).

I had thought that i had lost the passion to play, but now the juices seem to be flowing and im beginning to remember the parts i missed. Having a kick at training, getting excited the morning before the game, kicking a goal etc.
I dont want to quit football forever and regret it when im older and unable to play.

Has anyone ever gone through a similiar situation to me? Am i better off taking another year off to get the body right, or should i just use this year as a stepping stone to greater things in 2013?

25 is hardly too late, you're just about in your prime haha. If I were you I would use this year to shed the excess weight, especially if you're injury prone and get in the gym, and work on your skills and speed. That way you'll come into preseason training 2013 ready to tear it up rather than trying to play catch up all year this season.

I have been in a very similar position to you although for not as long.

Good advice from James Hutchy.

You're definitely not too old to play footy.

I would suggest waiting out this season and keep trying to lose weight, get stronger, getting your body right, etc. Also use this time to decide which team you want to play for. Then in about November, go to your desired club and get in a solid preseason, get to know everyone around the club, etc.

Give yourself a month to get a good aerobic base,
by the end of that month work up to 3 quarter pace work.

Spend another month doing sprint work.
Few weeks of plyometrics/Core work and start playing in June.
Youll get games in and it will set you up for 2013, especially
by building a rapport with your team mates.

If thats all a bit much, just fit as much as you can in and then
come back earlier.

No way you should wait till next year, theres no reason why
you cannot come back this year, you just have to put the hard
yards in, its only March/April, hit the track and get some run into your legs.

what about 30?

:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu: Im in the same boat although will be 29. Bit of weight loss for me i reckon and then mid early season start training and see if i can play a few games later in the year.

Getting the itch to play a bit of late.
Getting mates asking me to play again and again, and im tempted.
But i dont think the body is ready yet, so im gonna keep losing the weight and then have a tilt at a comeback in 2013 with a full preseason.

Will give me plenty of time to find the club of my desire.
Been tempted to go back to one my original clubs, but figure its best for a fresh start.
Looking for a club in SE Melbourne area preferably, would love to hear suggestions of clubs from people. Feel free to send through a PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Back