Prediction How Long Will JENKINS Remain Dropped?

Remove this Banner Ad

So people (coaches) have to become a little more sophisticated in their delivery of a "s**t sandwich" .. what a surprise
Do they want a written invitation and a long discussion in person? :oops: Surely a personal phone call is better than a text? I remember a player back in the day saying they wouldn’t know they were in the team until they saw the list in the paper on a Friday morning.

Hang on, what the ****, we dropped him over the phone as well?!

So we omit Gibbs, and tell him over the phone, we drop Jenkins, and tell him over the phone?

What is this gutless crap?
The way Jenkins said "it was quite late Thursday so I wondered if I was going to find out on the news like everyone else" to me was a little extra spitting of the dummy. Stank of a guy upset he was dropped trying to make the situation seem even worse.

I assume the droppings over the phone must be as team selections align with a players day off? or the selection committee sits down after that training session. They aren't going to call a guy back into the club but they will call them, tell them, and obviously go into it deeper face to face the next day (or over the phone when the player spits the dummy_

It's not super uncommon, more to do with the environmental concern of cats hunting native birds.

Fair enough.

I have two cats that stray into my yard and the cheek of them to look thru the family room door and have a peek whilst I'm on the couch watching the footy. They just sit there until I throw something at the door. Time to get a dog!

Jenkins comments are a blight on him and our culture.

1. Him: he forecast he was in the gun and underperforming. He talks it up as if it is a looming reality that he is genuinely concerned over. Then when dropped he now admits to spitting the dummy. I dont mind him making that public as that's what he does, he prides himself on being open in the media often to his own detriment. But to have those thoughts show that his comments days earlier were just a facade. He feels a guy like Himmelberg should rot any in the SANFL regardless of form

2. The Club: the fact JJ knew he was underperforming but wasn't disappointed but angry and surprised at being dropped shows how comfortable our senior players are. We have always said it that these guys get picked on reputation, etc and this proves that these players feel untouchable. Its this history of selection the contributed to JJs poor attitude here.

I hope this is some sign of things to come re selection and it starts a shift in our culture/player beliefs re their position.

Sorry to intrude, but on the subject of dropping players by phone, it appears to be done at WCE too as per this famous case last year:

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www...ng-up-on-coach-adam-simpson-ng-b88990189z.amp

I was still under the belief that such conversations are still held face to face...

From an outsiders thought, it appears that Don is well and truly aware it is ‘crunch time’ and is now trying to take control! Your club has so much potential and good, I sincerely hope Don is the one who can lead you forward in the right direction and get rid of some of the more unstable influences... Get selection right and you’ll win this week :)

The phone call thing is fair enough IMO

Otherwise you risk the player finding out from elsewhere first

There would be a whole host of internal machinations (minor and major) that start rolling as soon as the 22 is finalised
Teams get sent to AFL
Media promo
Flight and accommodation details
Which guernseys go to which ground
Which top ups are required by the SANFL team, including communicating with the player's home clubs
Match payments
Etc

Add in that you are potentially waiting on other player's fitness too. So it's not always possible to give players a definitive answer about where they're playing when it's convenient to chat face to face with them.

1. Him: he forecast he was in the gun and underperforming. He talks it up as if it is a looming reality that he is genuinely concerned over. Then when dropped he now admits to spitting the dummy. I dont mind him making that public as that's what he does, he prides himself on being open in the media often to his own detriment. But to have those thoughts show that his comments days earlier were just a facade. He feels a guy like Himmelberg should rot any in the SANFL regardless of form

2. The Club: the fact JJ knew he was underperforming but wasn't disappointed but angry and surprised at being dropped shows how comfortable our senior players are. We have always said it that these guys get picked on reputation, etc and this proves that these players feel untouchable. Its this history of selection the contributed to JJs poor attitude here.

I hope this is some sign of things to come re selection and it starts a shift in our culture/player beliefs re their position.

Well duh. It's not in Jenkins interest to see Himmelberg do well as Himmelberg doing well actively harms Jenkins prospects of getting another contract.

Football is a cut throat industry after all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just why were you banned last week, o enormous one?

I was drunk and posted a made up/fabricated spoiler for the new Game of Thrones (which I know nothing about, have only watched half of the first season) just to be silly. Just being stupid - it was deserved. Unlike Josh I wasn't 'dirty' that I got dropped.

Good post. It's about respect.

Point 1 demonstrates a lack of respect to the rest of the playing group from JJ, and hints at broader issues along similar lines with other senior established players.

Point 2 demonstrates the club showing a lack of respect to the competition, because we think we can pick whoever we like regardless of form and performance and still be a competitive football side.

What cracks when the boys responded in the AFL?
Verbal communications with the media is not the be all. Results on-field would be much more meaningful, as well actions on-field.

Jenkins is simply out of form. What he says is just white-noise unless his form picks up.
Yea, clearly no issues there.
The context was that a post was suggesting the team is unhappy with our communications in letting them know they’ve been omitted.

My response was that we’ve responded well with our actions of a good performance/win. So if anything it more shows JJ was disgruntled, not the team as a whole.

The phone call thing is fair enough IMO

Otherwise you risk the player finding out from elsewhere first

There would be a whole host of internal machinations (minor and major) that start rolling as soon as the 22 is finalised
Teams get sent to AFL
Media promo
Flight and accommodation details
Which guernseys go to which ground
Which top ups are required by the SANFL team, including communicating with the player's home clubs
Match payments
Etc

Add in that you are potentially waiting on other player's fitness too. So it's not always possible to give players a definitive answer about where they're playing when it's convenient to chat face to face with them.
Don't really care how they find out. Would send him a text. "Jenkins enjoy sanfl this week big boy. It's at Noarlunga oval. Show some heart. Don."

Left wing PC culture has been eroding this for decades.

Everything would be better if they would just let you old codgers throw out a homophobic slur or two every now and then, am I right?

Maybe I'm being old fashioned but I think the club should take care of it's own dirty laundry. If players have a beef, it should be handled within the confines of the club, not spilled out into the circus and public spectacle of the football "media". Anything which suggests discord among the playing group is cancerous to a footy club in this day and age.

Only limited numbers, 283 votes but 89% say to keep him out and it’s pretty indicative of what the sentiment would be. Jenkins hasn’t done himself any favours before and after his dropping.

We just need Himmelberg to have a decent game so the selectors don’t have an excuse to bring him back.

But if I was a selector and listened to his public whining I wouldn’t have him for a month, no matter how good his form is in the SANFL. Our players need to be sent a message.

I tend to agree on the last part. I think you can't recall him after this conduct. Not until it's plain he's gotten the message.

My mind is beyond boggled at his thinking he was entitled to conduct himself this way after his performances.

I tend to agree on the last part. I think you can't recall him after this conduct. Not until it's plain he's gotten the message.

My mind is beyond boggled at his thinking he was entitled to conduct himself this way after his performances.
The way he performed in the SANFL wasn't great either. He looked dejected and not like a guy who was pushing to reclaim his spot. I'd keep him down there until he decides to stop huffing his own farts.

Didnt Fogarty play as a defender and yet outscore Josh?

He's not even close to the front of the line of people that have a valid gripe.

Fogarty played forward for all of 5 seconds and took a mark, kicked a goal, then went back to defense

Remove this Banner Ad

Back