Prediction How many career goals can Lance Franklin get?

How many career goals will Lance Franklin kick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty awesome effort by Buddy in the modern era to even be anywhere near 1000

Has nothing to with the modern era. He's just a significantly better forward than any of his peers during this period of time.

Only 5 blokes in AFL history have cracked the ton for a reason. They were goal kicking freaks who had both longevity and consistency on their side. No different to Buddy.

Guys like Kennedy, Fevola, Riewoldt, Hawkins, Cameron are very good but in comparison, no different to Gehrig, Rocca, Neitz, Sumich who were a step below the very best of the best.

Has nothing to with the modern era.
Of course it has to do with the way the game is played today. Why do you think it is that since 2000 only ONE forward has cracked the 100, and that was Buddy in 2008?

Of course it has to do with the way the game is played today. Why do you think it is that since 2000 only ONE forward has cracked the 100, and that was Buddy in 2008?

So how come we haven't had 10, 15, 20, 1000 goal kickers in the past?

The modern game has not seen many quality key forwards. Josh Kennedy is regarded by many as the 2nd best behind Franklin as it stands but would Kennedy be any better than Bill Brownless?
The game is just s**t right now and we have god awful key forwards currently running around who are pumped up like superstars.
They'd be just another forward running around in the 80's and 90's.

So how come we haven't had 10, 15, 20, 1000 goal kickers in the past?

The modern game has not seen many quality key forwards. Josh Kennedy is regarded by many as the 2nd best behind Franklin as it stands but would Kennedy be any better than Bill Brownless?
The game is just s**t right now and we have god awful key forwards currently running around who are pumped up like superstars.
They'd be just another forward running around in the 80's and 90's.
My initial comment was that Buddy's effort in the modern era was especially awesome. It's awesome because full forwards don't kick centuries anymore and for a modern forward to be anywhere near 1000 goals is even more incredible. BECAUSE THE GAME HAS CHANGED.

The modern game has seen full forwards who in previous eras may, no probably would, have kicked the tonne - Ben Brown, Jeremy Cameron, Josh Kennedy, Jack Riewoldt and even Tom Hawkins. But the focus isn't on the full forward like it used to be. The small forward's importance has increased. Defenders have become cleverer, and coaches have put more focus on team structures. Look how Jack Riewoldt has been used.

Has nothing to with the modern era. He's just a significantly better forward than any of his peers during this period of time.

Only 5 blokes in AFL history have cracked the ton for a reason. They were goal kicking freaks who had both longevity and consistency on their side. No different to Buddy.

Guys like Kennedy, Fevola, Riewoldt, Hawkins, Cameron are very good but in comparison, no different to Gehrig, Rocca, Neitz, Sumich who were a step below the very best of the best.

In fairness to players like Riewoldt and Hawkins they do a ton of work up the ground (which will naturally lead to less goals kicked). Kennedy is probably one of a dying breed - the mostly stay deep in 50 full forward - and even then he is still required to put in a shift outside 50 when required, and will still end up nowhere near 1000.

Don't think we'll ever see a FF kick 100 in a season or 1000 in a career in the short or medium term because of how the game has evolved. Will need a drastic change in how the game is played.

In fairness to players like Riewoldt and Hawkins they do a ton of work up the ground (which will naturally lead to less goals kicked). Kennedy is probably one of a dying breed - the mostly stay deep in 50 full forward - and even then he is still required to put in a shift outside 50 when required, and will still end up nowhere near 1000.

Don't think we'll ever see a FF kick 100 in a season or 1000 in a career in the short or medium term because of how the game has evolved. Will need a drastic change in how the game is played.

Buddy does a tonne of work up the ground as well. Also he is actually far more selfless than most people give him credit for.

Concur, there is also that thing called 'rotations', which is mainly due to the evolving focus on athleticism and endurance; kick a goal - straight to the bench, kick another goal - straight to the bench...etc.

When Cameron kicked 9 against the Suns in Rd.23, thanks to 'rotation management', he spent a total of around 16 minutes on the bench.

Whereas not so long ago, most players leaving the ground during play would usually be via a stretcher or it often required a few runners physically dragging him off the ground...

How many times did you see Lockett, Ablett or Dunstall kick a goal and then run straight to the bench? If they did you be like; 'oh no, I hope it's not his ankle/calf/hammie again!'....

Last edited:
Buddy does a tonne of work up the ground as well. Also he is actually far more selfless than most people give him credit for.

Apologies if I implied that he didn't, well aware of his work up the ground. He's a freak that I think is a once-in-a-generation player.

When he retires he will deservedly go down as a legend that transformed the game.

The counterpoint to this is the advances in injury management have improved light years seeing modern players play for longer. We've recently had two players join the 400 club where prior to this it was thought no one would ever get close to Tuck or Bartett again.

Imagine how goals Hudson or Coleman could have kicked with state of the art fitness and injury management?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A little to much romance is placed on 80s players. There were some greats but if they were plonked into today's game, without the benefit of training, they'd get their arses kicked.

If they did have the training and ran as hard as today's players during a game, they'd be stars but they'd also succumb to "tired legs" and the accuracy of kicking would decrease.

Only difference with Fev is that he didn't have his head screwed on properly. He was more naturally gifted than Franklin IMO - could mark and kick the ball better and had some party tricks of his own. Unfortunately, he was a bit of a child and that seeped into his game. He'd throw tantrums, get frustrated easily, etc.

Only difference with Fev is that he didn't have his head screwed on properly. He was more naturally gifted than Franklin IMO - could mark and kick the ball better and had some party tricks of his own. Unfortunately, he was a bit of a child and that seeped into his game. He'd throw tantrums, get frustrated easily, etc.

I know you support Carlton but this is a bit much.

Yes, and even before Buddy joined the Swans I would have disagreed with you. Fevola was top 3 of this century, but he was in no way better than Buddy.
I didn't say he was the better player, I said he had a higher skill-ceiling. His kicking and marking was better, whereas Franklin has him over athleticism/aerobic capacity.

Line them up in a GF after the siren kick from 50 at a tight angle to win the game, I'd want Fev to take the shot.
Plenty of times during his prime - but I suspect a poll of BigFooty on who was the more naturally gifted player out of the two might surprise you.
I'm a pretty hard person to surprise. ;)

Seems like he's got about another 100 goals in him. Such a champ. For most forwards that would be about half their career.

Back