Prediction How many career goals can Lance Franklin get?

How many career goals will Lance Franklin kick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

A little to much romance is placed on 80s players. There were some greats but if they were plonked into today's game, without the benefit of training, they'd get their arses kicked.

If they did have the training and ran as hard as today's players during a game, they'd be stars but they'd also succumb to "tired legs" and the accuracy of kicking would decrease.

Fair point, but era's and game styles are always difficult to compare.

A worrying trend in recent times is the focus on a players athletic ability vs their actual skill as a footballer.
As some keen observers of the game state (rarely the media) there seems to be an increasing trend on recruiting athletes who play footy, not naturally gifted footballers. This may sound like semantics but it's not.

Goal kicking skill. Let's face it, set shots at goals in recent times has been hard to watch. Compared to the same players sublime skills in most other aspects of a match it's hard to comprehend how they can be so incompetent at comparably such an easy skill?

When Buddy kicked 113 goals in 2008 he also kicked 88 points and it's safe to assume about half of those were set shots!
That's just one year of his career with an overall conversation rate of 53% - and if this was just 5% better, suffice to say he probably would have passed 1000 goals years ago....

Last edited:
Goal kicking skill. Let's face it, set shots at goals in recent times has been hard to watch. Compared to the same players sublime skills in most other aspects of a match it's hard to comprehend how they can be so incompetent at comparably such an easy skill?

This is a bit of a misnomer; try doing a few flat out 20m sprints off the back of tired legs from the general distance they cover structuring up and taking a set shot.

Most of the players are quite capable set shots at training or warming up, it’s the fatigue that really throws it.

This is a bit of a misnomer; try doing a few flat out 20m sprints off the back of tired legs from the general distance they cover structuring up and taking a set shot.

Most of the players are quite capable set shots at training or warming up, it’s the fatigue that really throws it.

Beg to differ.
We've all seen enough players kick a shank with a set shot early in games so fatigue has very little to with low set shot conversion.
Poor or non-existent routine and related set-up is as obvious as the nose on your face in most cases.

Some players habits with set shots is laughable, jogging in at angles, spinning the ball in their hands, high ball drops, it's frustrating to watch and hard to believe any coaches allow it.
With a few exceptions, Ben Brown, Tom Lynch, Jeremy Cameron etc. when most players line up for set shot it's often a toss of the coin if they manage to kick any score at all...

Last edited:

Beg to differ.
We've all seen enough players kick a shank with a set shot early in games so fatigue has very little to with low set shot conversion.
Poor or non-existent routine and related set-up is as obvious as the nose on your face in most cases.

Some players habits with set shots is laughable, jogging in at angles, spinning the ball in their hands, high ball drops, it's frustrating to watch and hard to believe any coaches allow it.
With a few exceptions, Ben Brown, Tom Lynch, Jeremy Cameron etc. when most players line up for set shot it's often a toss of the coin if they manage to kick any score...

Again, misnomer.

A handful of occasions of players absolutely shanking shots does not represent the skill level across the league. Forwards now run vastly increased distances, at higher intensity, than ever before. This occurs from early in the game. It means that a player like Lockett would struggle to exist in the modern game, as even your monsters like Hawkins have to cover lots of ground.

There are some absurd scenarios of players making poor decisions between kicking a drop punt or around the body, and I agree that it appears across the league there would be some benefit from actually spending some time on goal kicking practice. But it's nowhere near the level people like to make it out to be.

If Gil and his gang of idiots mess up the rules again, he won't get to 1000 next season even if he plays every game. With his injuries though I don't expect him to get the magical 1000 in 2020 anyway.

2021, Round 4. That's my prediction.

The first player I Have seen in my lifetime (so far) to kick 100 Goals in a season. (I mean that i can actually remember)
I have no doubt Bud will pass 1K goals next season, at this stage it looks quite un

Unlikely he will pass Plugger, but think he will finish between 1000 to 1060
Its very unlikely at this stage of his great Career he will kick 100 in a season (correct me if im wrong but im pretty certain he was the last player to reach that feat)

If he could actually take more than 1.5 contested grabs a game, he'd have made it to 1000 a year or so ago.

Blokes like Ablett, Lockett, Dunstall were taking 3 or 4 contested grabs every game.

He looks about 5-7 kgs lighter. I rekn he'll kick over 70 this season, he'll be quicker and more evasive. Look out if he can play 18+ games. Im guessing he'll give 1150 a nudge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think he'll catch Wade, but a reasonable chance to pass Ablett.

I'll predict 80 more goals across the next 2-3 seasons (he'll be injured for a fair chunk). That takes him to 1024. He'll probably need a few chancey bags in there to catch Ablett, and I guess it depends on the capabilities of Sydney's forward line to push him out. Even so, 1000 would be a mammoth career achievement, as would another 70+ Coleman season from here on.

Three seasons averaging 45-50 goals per sees him somewhere in the 1070-1090 range. I voted accordingly.

I don't think he'll catch Wade, but a reasonable chance to pass Ablett.

I'll predict 80 more goals across the next 2-3 seasons (he'll be injured for a fair chunk). That takes him to 1024. He'll probably need a few chancey bags in there to catch Ablett, and I guess it depends on the capabilities of Sydney's forward line to push him out. Even so, 1000 would be a mammoth career achievement, as would another 70+ Coleman season from here on.

Well if your coach could try his Round 1 2018 tactics against Buddy that would be really helpful. Basically leaving Buddy in the forward 50 with a single opposition defender and no one else around really showed how good Buddy would have been in the 1980's.

will be 4th all time.

amazing effort in this day and age.

I reckon he’ll finish on around 1050 which is a mighty achievement.

From a personal point of view, I saw first hand week after week how bloody prolific Lloyd was, so you have a huge respect for a player that kicks that many.

Lockett, Dunstall, Hudson, Pratt, Buddy, plus the greatest non-key forward goal kicker in Lethal - the Swans and Hawks share quite a history is terms of goalkickers.

The 32yo has returned to training and is looking svelt and fit. I believe he wants to kick as many goals as he can before he has to retire and I believe he can kick 1200 goals, he is currently 7th on 944 goals.

1. Tony Lockett (StK/Syd) - 1360
2. Gordon Coventry (Coll) - 1299
3. Jason Dunstall (Haw) - 1254
4. Doug Wade (Geel/NM) - 1057
5. Gary Ablett (Haw/Geel) - 1031
6. Jack Titus (Rich) - 970
7. Lance Franklin (Haw/Syd) - 944
8. Matthew Lloyd (Ess) - 926
9. Leigh Matthews (Haw) - 915
10. Peter McKenna (Coll/Carl) - 874

View attachment 780902

Sorry ,, I luv this guy and the champ he is but I think hes about buggered ,, past 2 seasons has seen him play minimum games and today its bgeen announced he needs motre clean up ops on his knee that will keep him off the track for 10 weeks ,,, Sorry but hes about stuffed and no way he will kick 1200 goals

Back