Prediction How many Cats will become CAAts? (The All-Australian prediction thread)

Who will be All-Australian in 2019?

• Total voters

Max Milburn

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 10, 2018
Hobbiton, Tasmania
AFL Club
Geelong
The amount of All Australian contenders a team has is a pretty good indication that you are doing OK.
How many of our players are in contention?

Here's the rolling AA team (chosen on current form) put together by the Mongrel Punter:

B: Hurn (c), Blicavs, Keath

HB: Sicily, Moore, Stewart

C: Whitfield, Boak, Coniglio

HF: De Goey, Hawkins, Walters

F: Ablett, Cameron, Rohan

R: Grundy, Cripps, Neale

INT: Dangerfield, Fyfe, Grimes, Lloyd

Quite a handful of CAAts!

Footy Smarts

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 19, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Kelly should definitely be in the starting team right now. Has been best or second best on ground according to the coaches in 4 matches (Collingwood, Melbourne, Adelaide and Essendon) and was very good against the Hawks. In contrast Dangerfield shouldn't. He started the season on fire but hasn't done much over the past 4 weeks.

At the moment I'd have Kelly, Ablett and Stewart for certain. Blicavs, Hawkins and Rohan in the squad but probably not the team (Blicavs closest although his first 2 weeks were poor). Then Dahlhaus and Kolo as smokeys (I think they'd both be much higher in our B&F than most outsiders would think right now).

Max Milburn

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 10, 2018
Hobbiton, Tasmania
AFL Club
Geelong
I think Kelly would be in the team before Rohan and Ablett. As Roos said on the couch if he is not one of the top 5 players in the entire comp right now I don't understand football!
He wouldn't be replacing either, though.
He doesn't play their position.
I guess the question is: is he better than Cripps, Danger, Fyfe, Neale or Boak.
I'd have him in before a couple of those, and even ahead of Danger atm.

Feb 9, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
I've got 3 in for now. Kelly, Ablett and Stewart. Probably Hawkins too, I can't find a second key forward out performing him.

Ablett should be the first picked IMO. Plays as a genuine HFF, has been in the best 10 performed players this year.
Rohan is a hard no, 4th best forward on our team so far this year, but selectors can overrate goals

Blicavs and Dangerfield presenting strong cases.

If our form holds, we'll have a few. Geelong players who have been "in the conversation" have tended to be selected more than they haven't (Hawkins aside).

foodles05

Club Legend
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Blitz should be a guarantee but apparently the Freo defender is the new KD flavour. Tell me one thing he has done that Blitz hasn't. Lot of competition for KD AA this year though. Moore looks unreal.

Footy Smarts

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 19, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Ablett should be the first picked IMO.

Pretty much. He and Jeremy Cameron are the 2 who are miles above any competitors in their positions. Getting coaches votes in 5 matches out of 7 (also very stiff against GWS since he was awesome whenever the ball actually went forward) is incredible especially for a guy playing half forward.

Feb 9, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Pretty much. He and Jeremy Cameron are the 2 who are miles above any competitors in their positions. Getting coaches votes in 5 matches out of 7 (also very stiff against GWS since he was awesome whenever the ball actually went forward) is incredible especially for a guy playing half forward.

Agreed on GWS too, we've lost one game, and he was comfortably our best in it.

I forgot he should be second picked though.
Cameron is the leagues MVP right now.

Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham
I would have Blicavs, Stewart and Ablett as locks right now.

Dangerfield likely, but we'll see how this injury impacts him in the short-term.

Kelly and Hawkins certainties for the squad and maybes for the final 22.

Potentially Duncan and Stanley in the squad.

DanA

Norm Smith Medallist
May 15, 2006
Richmond
AFL Club
Geelong
At the moment:
In:
Ablett - he’s been extremely productive
Stewart - Arguably the best small/medium defender this year
Danger - He’s been good, a little bit of reputation probably cements him.

A good chance:
Kelly: I’d have him in but midfield is tough with a lot of competition
Rohan: posession count probably keeps him out.
Blicavs: I think Moore is in and that leaves one KPD and there are a few option. Blitz one of them.

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
The amount of All Australian contenders a team has is a pretty good indication that you are doing OK.
How many of our players are in contention?

Here's the rolling AA team (chosen on current form) put together by the Mongrel Punter:

B: Hurn (c), Blicavs, Keath
HB: Sicily, Moore, Stewart
C: Whitfield, Boak, Coniglio
HF: De Goey, Hawkins, Walters
F: Ablett, Cameron, Rohan
R: Grundy, Cripps, Neale
INT: Dangerfield, Fyfe, Grimes, Lloyd

Quite a handful of CAAts!
Far too generous for Gary Rohan, he's been good but nowhere near consistent enough for AA form. Jake Stringer - much as I don't like to admit it - has had a better year.

Glad to see Hawkins' quietly very good year being recognised. That said, there isn't as much competition for tall forward AA spots as there has been in years gone by, with Hogan, Riewoldt, Kennedy all having slow/absent starts to the year.

Kelly would have to be close but every other midfielder in that side is an absolute walk-up start.

The way the AA works there is a strong recency bias so 2nd half of the year form is telling. That said, if it was picked now you’d have Stewart and Ablett in with Blicavs, Kelly and Rohan very close. Danger is a victim of his own standards but should be in the mix too.

Max Milburn

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 10, 2018
Hobbiton, Tasmania
AFL Club
Geelong
Far too generous for Gary Rohan, he's been good but nowhere near consistent enough for AA form. Jake Stringer - much as I don't like to admit it - has had a better year.

Glad to see Hawkins' quietly very good year being recognised. That said, there isn't as much competition for tall forward AA spots as there has been in years gone by, with Hogan, Riewoldt, Kennedy all having slow/absent starts to the year.

Kelly would have to be close but every other midfielder in that side is an absolute walk-up start.
On stats alone, Rohan is clearly better than Stringer.
30 marks and 16.3 versus 26 marks and 14.13.
I'd have thought you pick the small forward with more marks, goals and nicer hair.

Love the Thread Title.
Blic, Stewart, Kolo, GAJ, Kelly, Danger would all have to be in contention at rd 7, as is GFC.
Let's revisit rd 14

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Stewart and Kelly appear the most likely. Kelly should absolutely be in the rolling side now. I don't think Rohan has the consistency within or across games to be an AA player. That feels like a big overrating of him to me and is the type of stuff that sets up people to be disappointed when he can't meet their expectations.

Max Milburn

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 10, 2018
Hobbiton, Tasmania
AFL Club
Geelong
Stewart and Kelly appear the most likely. Kelly should absolutely be in the rolling side now. I don't think Rohan has the consistency within or across games to be an AA player. That feels like a big overrating of him to me and is the type of stuff that sets up people to be disappointed when he can't meet their expectations.
He might not make the team, but he deserves to be mentioned at this point.
I think that's the point of a rolling team.

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
Forward line. I'd have thought the first two stats would have been selectively chosen for a reason.
As for the hair, simply no argument.:D
Well, the score stats are obvious - though there are only two points between the two.

However, Stringer finds much more of the ball and gets more involved in general play. I'd argue that makes up for more than two points in scoresheet output.

Purrfect pussy

AFLPA MVP
Apr 3, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
If the team was picked today I’d have Stewart as the only lock.

Ablett and Hawkins would probably make it due to a lack of competition.

Opposite for kelly and blicz who probably deserve it but have a lot of quality opposition for their positions.

Danger and Duncan would be in the squad but not the team imo.

Back