How many chances does Finch get???

Khawaja has been meh at best, can't rotate the strike and is a garbage fieldsman.

Not saying Khawaja has been great far from it but less than 3 months out we aren’t changing 3/4 of the side and Warner is a certainty. Personally form or out of form I’m sticking with Finch at this stage. Short hasn’t even looked great in T20’s Internationally.

Leeda

Talents B Sharp
Suspended
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Even I could make runs against this windies team atm, yet Finchley can't...
Oi.. shooting your mouth off again.. the level of the whole team of debutants, high scorers, long time tragic... and well all those who dabble
in the occult of spider cricket.. o_O

send me your proteges and I will reform with pleasure..

Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England
They won’t go back to Short yet. Short should demonstrate he can dominate a T20 International before they go back there.

The obvious option is Warner. Khawaja has probably done just enough. They might look at Khawaja/Warner opening

Lol Khawaja is great, if they think they can defend 220 every game, unfortunately in England they are going to need 320+

Bicco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 23, 2013
Hobart
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Socceroos
They won’t go back to Short yet. Short should demonstrate he can dominate a T20 International before they go back there.

The obvious option is Warner. Khawaja has probably done just enough. They might look at Khawaja/Warner opening
Short has dominated the Big Bash this summer and played very well in the two T20's against India. Asking him to dominate is pointless because the opportunities to do so just aren't there.
We're running out of time before the WC.
As it stands there's 3 real options.
Short, who is in undeniable career best form.
Finch who is in undeniable career worst form.
Warner, who hasn't played for 12 months so we have no idea if he is physically and more importantly, given what English crowds will dish up, mentally ready.
There seems to be some strong opinions of Shorts 50 over form based on 4 games, yet Finchs form based on an entire summer, indeed 12 months doesn't seem to have the same scrutiny.
Cricket's about scoring runs and there's only one player anyone can say is doing that out of the above 3.

Short has dominated the Big Bash this summer and played very well in the two T20's against India. Asking him to dominate is pointless because the opportunities to do so just aren't there.
We're running out of time before the WC.
As it stands there's 3 real options.
Short, who is in undeniable career best form.
Finch who is in undeniable career worst form.
Warner, who hasn't played for 12 months so we have no idea if he is physically and more importantly, given what English crowds will dish up, mentally ready.
There seems to be some strong opinions of Shorts 50 over form based on 4 games, yet Finchs form based on an entire summer, indeed 12 months doesn't seem to have the same scrutiny.
Cricket's about scoring runs and there's only one player anyone can say is doing that out of the above 3.

Big Bash form...please tell me we aren't picking 50 over cricketers off someone smacking pies from Liam O'Connor, etc in a domestic comp. There are 3 main options Finch, Khawaja and Warner. Two will open, the other will be in the squad, it's that simple. Given the short time to the WC, you are always going with proven performers, ie. Warner and Finch. I expect that to be the case.

Bicco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 23, 2013
Hobart
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Socceroos
Big Bash form...please tell me we aren't picking 50 over cricketers off someone smacking pies from Liam O'Connor, etc in a domestic comp. There are 3 main options Finch, Khawaja and Warner. Two will open, the other will be in the squad, it's that simple. Given the short time to the WC, you are always going with proven performers, ie. Warner and Finch. I expect that to be the case.
National teams are pretty much aleays picked from players form in domestic competitions. Given the form (domestic or international) of Finch and Warner, I would go with Short, based on the fact that he actually has scored runs in the past 6 months. Warner could do it, but it would be more of a hail Mary than picking Short.

National teams are pretty much aleays picked from players form in domestic competitions. Given the form (domestic or international) of Finch and Warner, I would go with Short, based on the fact that he actually has scored runs in the past 6 months. Warner could do it, but it would be more of a hail Mary than picking Short.

Warner is proven you know the fact he has multiple ODI hundreds. I’m always picking him over Short and it’s not close. Warner has a defence for starters. Short is an absolute dartboard selection and it’s a risk we don’t need to take. Short has zero form at international level whether that be 50 over or t20. How about he performs at t20 level first.

FrankCostanza

Debutant
Jul 28, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
Any combination not involving Finch is the way to go moving forward. Anybody who advocates him remaining in the team has rocks in their head

Any combination not involving Finch is the way to go moving forward. Anybody who advocates him remaining in the team has rocks in their head

I’d rather gamble on Finch coming good than many other options. Go on name the alternatives. You don’t score numerous ODI hundreds if you aren’t a good bat in this format.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
I’d rather gamble on Finch coming good than many other options. Go on name the alternatives. You don’t score numerous ODI hundreds if you aren’t a good bat in this format.
Warner
Marsh
Smith
Stoinis
Maxwell
Lead Boots
Carey

Warner
Marsh
Smith
Stoinis
Maxwell
Lead Boots
Carey

Can we not bat Stoinis in the top 5 please! Heck I’d bat Maxwell there before that.

Marsh is better at 3 or 4. Having Smith and Marsh at 3&4 is perfect. If Lead Boots is in the side should be ahead of Stoinis and Maxwell although use Maxy as the floater

FrankCostanza

Debutant
Jul 28, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades

Khawaja, S.Marsh, Stoinis, Short are all better alternatives to partner Warner at the top of the order based on current form. Finch is absoutely nowhere near it presently and his issues will only be magnified in English conditions

Khawaja, S.Marsh, Stoinis, Short are all better alternatives to partner Warner at the top of the order based on current form. Finch is absoutely nowhere near it presently and his issues will only be magnified in English conditions

Finch has a great record in England. English ODI pitches are NOT the same as their test pitches. They are flat as anything. Lol at thinking Stoinis would be better as an opener and Short is a Hail Mary, thanks but no thanks. Khawaja is okay and would probably be in my squad but he’s so slow early on. I’d prefer Marsh at 3 or 4.

Both Stoinis and Short, on current form are better openers. How exactly is Short a hail mary?

What form? BBL form? Anyone can smack a few D grade pie throwers. Internationally Short has been average. How about he dominates a t20 game first before we take an almighty Hail Mary on him in a ODI (where he was below poor before). Stoinis won’t be a ODI opener he’s a perfect 6/7.

FrankCostanza

Debutant
Jul 28, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
What form? BBL form? Anyone can smack a few D grade pie throwers. Internationally Short has been average. How about he dominates a t20 game first before we take an almighty Hail Mary on him in a ODI (where he was below poor before). Stoinis won’t be a ODI opener he’s a perfect 6/7.
Finch didn't manage to smack those "pie throwers" too well when he kitted up for the Renegades this season.

You dismissing BBL form because it doesn't suit your argument doesn't make it any less relevant. Where else were they meant to score runs over summer? Would club cricket have impressed you more?

Finch didn't manage to smack those "pie throwers" too well when he kitted up for the Renegades this season.

You dismissing BBL form because it doesn't suit your argument doesn't make it any less relevant. Where else were they meant to score runs over summer? Would club cricket have impressed you more?

Where was Short’s Shield form and another great innings today from him..and furthermore he’s done very little either at T20 or ODI level Internationally. There is the issue. His main form has been off the BBL which is of poor standard formthe most part. No issue having a look at him AFTER the World Cup but not before.

FrankCostanza

Debutant
Jul 28, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
Where was Short’s Shield form and another great innings today from him..and furthermore he’s done very little either at T20 or ODI level Internationally. There is the issue. His main form has been off the BBL which is of poor standard formthe most part. No issue having a look at him AFTER the World Cup but not before.

So BBL form is irrelevant but Sheffield Shield form is relevant? To white ball cricket? Your argument is flimsier that Finch's front foot defence.

Why on earth would you wait until AFTER the 50 over formats premier event to drop an out of form batsman and try to get a lineup together that will be competitive? Ridiculous.

Last edited:
So BBL form is irrelevant but Sheffield Shield form is relevant? To white ball cricket? Your argument is flimsier that Finch's front foot defence.

Why on earth would you wait until AFTER the 50 over formats premier even to drop an out of form batsman and try to get a lineup together that will be competitive? Ridiculous.

International form is the most relevant, Short has little. His last ODI stint was awful to say the least. You are absolutely gambling on a bloke who hasn’t even performed at the top level Internationally even at t20 level where he is outstanding domestically.

You aren’t dropping your captain who has multiple hundreds and winning performances for a complete Hail Mary. You will always be giving the performed one more chances it’s just the way it is. I know I’d want Finch opening in a World Cup rather than Short.

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong

Bet there are a few players around that would be happy averaging 33 at international T20.......be about triple what Stoinis averages.......and he has only played 4 one dayers......

He smashed the big bash and the JLT.

Short not playing the one dayers against SL and in India is as big a blunder as batting Maxwell at 7 IMO.

Basically the only bat earning his keep in the one dayers is Shaun Marsh and you can't find a place for an in form, damaging player with upside potential like Short. Ridiculous if you ask me.

Voice of the G

Premiership Player
Jan 18, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
International form is the most relevant, Short has little. His last ODI stint was awful to say the least. You are absolutely gambling on a bloke who hasn’t even performed at the top level Internationally even at t20 level where he is outstanding domestically.

You aren’t dropping your captain who has multiple hundreds and winning performances for a complete Hail Mary. You will always be giving the performed one more chances it’s just the way it is. I know I’d want Finch opening in a World Cup rather than Short.

Good to see you have now given up on dropping Maxwell,lol.

Good to see you have now given up on dropping Maxwell,lol.

Where have I ever wanted to drop Maxwell from either the ODI side or t20 side? The only thing I wanted was him not in the top 4 in a ODI. Him at 5 or 6 is perfect

Voice of the G

Premiership Player
Jan 18, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Where have I ever wanted to drop Maxwell from either the ODI side or t20 side? The only thing I wanted was him not in the top 4 in a ODI. Him at 5 or 6 is perfect

Why not 4 in the 1 day team.Perhaps I am confused is that you do not think he should be in the test team.My thoughts are currently he should be one of the first picked for the test team and sad his selection for the ashes series will most likely depend in what he does in the upcoming county cricket season.

Why not 4 in the 1 day team.Perhaps I am confused is that you do not think he should be in the test team.My thoughts are currently he should be one of the first picked for the test team and sad his selection for the ashes series will most likely depend in what he does in the upcoming county cricket season.

That’s the one. Don’t want him in the test side not ahead of players like Patterson for one.

ODI side, completely different he’s a certain selection. I’d have Smith and SMarsh at 3 and 4. Maxwell at 5/6 with Stoinis.

Voice of the G

Premiership Player
Jan 18, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
That’s the one. Don’t want him in the test side not ahead of players like Patterson for one.

ODI side, completely different he’s a certain selection. I’d have Smith and SMarsh at 3 and 4. Maxwell at 5/6 with Stoinis.

Now that is where we disagree,Maxwell in test cricket is a better batsman then Patterson,a far better fieldsman and can bowl a bit where Patterson does not at this stage.Still think Patterson is a chance of test selection though but not in Maxwell's spot.

Back