How many chances does Finch get???

Remove this Banner Ad

International form is the most relevant, Short has little. His last ODI stint was awful to say the least. You are absolutely gambling on a bloke who hasn’t even performed at the top level Internationally even at t20 level where he is outstanding domestically.

You aren’t dropping your captain who has multiple hundreds and winning performances for a complete Hail Mary. You will always be giving the performed one more chances it’s just the way it is. I know I’d want Finch opening in a World Cup rather than Short.
So international form is relevant, yet you don't think Short should get a game to see if his domestic form translates into international form. Finch has 0 form and Warner hasn't played for 12 months.
Crikey, you're painting yourself into a corner.

So international form is relevant, yet you don't think Short should get a game to see if his domestic form translates into international form. Finch has 0 form and Warner hasn't played for 12 months.
Crikey, you're painting yourself into a corner.

Both the blokes you don't want to play have 10+ ODI hundreds...Short has ZERO. Sorry for wanting to be loyal to two blokes who have performed over and over again at the top level. Short will get his chance after the WC, there is no rush. Warner and Finch will open at the WC.

Now that is where we disagree,Maxwell in test cricket is a better batsman then Patterson,a far better fieldsman and can bowl a bit where Patterson does not at this stage.Still think Patterson is a chance of test selection though but not in Maxwell's spot.

That's where we will never agree, Patterson looks a test batmen and one who will do well over there, and he's coming off a number of hundreds in the last month and a half. We need batsmen like him that can bat time, can play a long innings. Patterson is good in the field anyway, sure he's not Maxwell but I'm not picking a top 5 bat in a test match on his fielding.

Both the blokes you don't want to play have 10+ ODI hundreds...Short has ZERO. Sorry for wanting to be loyal to two blokes who have performed over and over again at the top level. Short will get his chance after the WC, there is no rush. Warner and Finch will open at the WC.
I want whoever can win us the WC. I get you think that you stick with the incumbents (sort of). But I don't get the form lines you're using to justify their selection.

I want whoever can win us the WC. I get you think that you stick with the incumbents (sort of). But I don't get the form lines you're using to justify their selection.

I'll stick with the better players and that's Warner and Finch. Form or no form, and form is temporary...class is permanent. You don't get their records unless you are top level players. Warner is always coming straight back in, and Finch won't be dropped. Short hasn't done enough when he got a chance to force the selectors hand.

I'll stick with the better players and that's Warner and Finch. Form or no form, and form is temporary...class is permanent. You don't get their records unless you are top level players. Warner is always coming straight back in, and Finch won't be dropped. Short hasn't done enough when he got a chance to force the selectors hand.
Whichever way they go, let's hope the selectors get it right

Where was Short’s Shield form and another great innings today from him..and furthermore he’s done very little either at T20 or ODI level Internationally. There is the issue. His main form has been off the BBL which is of poor standard formthe most part. No issue having a look at him AFTER the World Cup but not before.

Yeah a very poor innings by him yesterday in the shield batting down the order at 8!! like wtf....open with him come on WA

I thought with Finch being out of form that this was the perfect opportunity these 10 games against India and Pakistan to have a look at Short before the world cup. We all agree that Finch is terribly out of form but he has a very good record and is a jet when is form. But this is not happening atm

To be fair to Short he has only had 4 ODI in his career so far. Yup I agree its a big risk playing him in the WC with limited games...so why not give him a go against India and Pakistan??....there is nothing to lose IMO and everything to gain.

Instead they have picked Usman... who should be concentrating against the Duke ball in the shield. Usman has played 22 ODI no hundreds and a strike rate of 79....like please ..a strike rate of 79 as an opener in todays ODI cricket with the likes of Gayle Sharma Hales.....that's just crap

We have a guy who has scored 250 in a ODI game in Australia !!!!! and he cannot get a look in over Usman ??? who has never scored a hundred in 22 ODI for Aus ....like seriously come on give a guy a go Before the WC

What is there to lose ??

Whichever way they go, let's hope the selectors get it right

The selectors have been pretty good in the last few month ever since the Mitch Marsh as VC fiasco so I’ll trust they will make the right call

Yeah a very poor innings by him yesterday in the shield batting down the order at 8!! like wtf....open with him come on WA

I thought with Finch being out of form that this was the perfect opportunity these 10 games against India and Pakistan to have a look at Short before the world cup. We all agree that Finch is terribly out of form but he has a very good record and is a jet when is form. But this is not happening atm

To be fair to Short he has only had 4 ODI in his career so far. Yup I agree its a big risk playing him in the WC with limited games...so why not give him a go against India and Pakistan??....there is nothing to lose IMO and everything to gain.

Instead they have picked Usman... who should be concentrating against the Duke ball in the shield. Usman has played 22 ODI no hundreds and a strike rate of 79....like please ..a strike rate of 79 as an opener in todays ODI cricket with the likes of Gayle Sharma Hales.....that's just crap

We have a guy who has scored 250 in a ODI game in Australia !!!!! and he cannot get a look in over Usman ??? who has never scored a hundred in 22 ODI for Aus ....like seriously come on give a guy a go Before the WC

What is there to lose ??

Each to their own. I'd rather use these 10 games to get our best credentialed opener behind Warner in Finch in form. That's the main objective. I would only rest Finch if he physically needs a break. If he doesn't and he hasn't indicated that he does, I'd keep playing him.

We can always go to Short after the WC. It's only 3 months to he WC, we don't have the time to be taking huge gambles. The side needs to be settled and set in stone now. Khawaja shouldn't be there but he won't anyway when Warner comes back.

International form is the most relevant, Short has little. His last ODI stint was awful to say the least. You are absolutely gambling on a bloke who hasn’t even performed at the top level Internationally even at t20 level where he is outstanding domestically.

You aren’t dropping your captain who has multiple hundreds and winning performances for a complete Hail Mary. You will always be giving the performed one more chances it’s just the way it is. I know I’d want Finch opening in a World Cup rather than Short.

You constantly contradict yourself and then roll out cliché after cliché. You scream out for players to be axed at the drop of a hat normally yet here you are willing to persevere with a player who is hopelessly out of form and draw a line through someone after 4 ODIs and a handful of T20Is.

Aaron Finch took 8 matches to score a 50 in ODIs. David Warner scored one 50 in his first 8 ODI's. Darcy Short has played 4 matches and scored 47* in his last match in England. Don't think 'awful' is an accurate description. He's hardly had a crack at ODI level. Have you had a good look at his T20I record? Average of 33 and S/R of 120. Has got multiple starts in 3/4 of those innings.

Would Short be a risk? Absolutely. Do we need to take risks? Yes. We arent winning anything playing safe. Short has the potential to be a match winner and he should have been selected for these ODIs.

Ideally, the best case scenario is Finch plays himself into some form. But if he doesn't and this drags on for another 6-7 matches, its not a good sign for the WC.

And I'm not sure why you would 'look at Short after the WC'. What is the point of that?

Last edited:
The selectors have been pretty good in the last few month ever since the Mitch Marsh as VC fiasco so I’ll trust they will make the right call
As much as I can’t stand him and the selectors are brain dead you know what’s I still hope he contributes to a test win...

He better be bowling though as his batting isn’t test quality
I blame both! Langer IS one of the selectors, he’s getting a vote. I blame the selectors more but the coach takes some blame.
So we play some average blokes ahead of Patterson at the start of the summer...

Good one selectors

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What’s the point? Since the Marsh VC fiasco they have been better. Perhaps they are finally learning. Patterson in the test squad, big tick. The last month I have had very little problems with the selectors. The months prior I had massive issues. We all make mistakes happy they realised some of their errors.

and the Drama Queen has spoken.. he has been emphatic and walked through it all.. hasn't topped it but has done enough
to speak to the persons that seem able to criticise... he has been a star.. kept himself to the front and never giving up to
those people who would like him to drop the bat...

what a absolute finch..* this speech.. finch you are a level above the captaincy..

and the Drama Queen has spoken.. he has been emphatic and walked through it all.. hasn't topped it but has done enough
to speak to the persons that seem able to criticise... he has been a star.. kept himself to the front and never giving up to
those people who would like him to drop the bat...

what a absolute finch..**** this speech.. finch you are a level above the captaincy..
Saying hes out of a slump after one good innings is as ridiculous as saying he should be dropped after one bad one.
One swallow does not a summer make.
That said, Im much happier having him in the team with that innings behind him rather than what he's produced for the entire summer.

Saying hes out of a slump after one good innings is as ridiculous as saying he should be dropped after one bad one.
One swallow does not a summer make.
That said, Im much happier having him in the team with that innings behind him rather than what he's produced for the entire summer.
plenty of people have been given second chances from one or two sessions..

He has had to put up with people telling him he is crap and that he is still having to play and captain and still support all his players...

He has travelled well has Mr A Finch..

as well he is Victorian.. .. los loved.. I wanted that to be spanish for carry on..

vics know this.. south of the border.. all that you know..

It was a very simple fix, he has to face the first ball

Of his last 6 innings facing the first ball he has scores of 93, 37, 41, 22, 100, 19
Last 6 innings not facing the first ball his scores were 0, 14, 6, 6, 11, 5
no it is well it is the first cos you would be out obviously but then it is easy to latch onto a ball and then stick that one and
then you get confidence and so you let it wash over you and you belt the ones every second or third.. Kind of like Mr Kohli..
he is someone you can learn from.. he has no fear and plays irreverently.. he has decided he is going to hit this ball and he does..

Warner and Smith know this.. they are stars because of it..

plenty of people have been given second chances from one or two sessions..

He has had to put up with people telling him he is crap and that he is still having to play and captain and still support all his players...

He has travelled well has Mr A Finch..

as well he is Victorian.. .. los loved.. I wanted that to be spanish for carry on..

vics know this.. south of the border.. all that you know..
And so it begins again.
A short journey for someone travelling so well.

Not arguing but just out of interest how much do you think being opening batsman helps the above?

Of course top 3 makes a big difference to leading run scorers, most bat top 3 but that’s because they are the teams best batsmen

But this thread doesn’t even think he should be in the team, if he was as bad as Bigfooty made out, wouldn’t matter where he batted, he wouldn’t score runs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back