How many for Sandilands?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Typical problem of where a really tall bloke bumps a short bloke, head high contact.

Normally it would be a week if the ball was in play but it was a bit of a cheap shot and Lyons certainly wasn't expecting contact, Lyons looking at a player who just kicked the ball.

So two weeks. Wouldn't mind three though.;)

Not much in it probably a fine, might get one.
Definitely not 3 and surely you wouldn't want it to be anyway, will be a great matchup.

True it didn't cause injury and Lyons played on and was BOG. Luckily.

Would be surprised if it only got a fine. 1 week min. Bumping, high contact, careless and low impact? Being blindsided and out of the play is the issue.
2018MRPGraph-v2.jpg

High contact, low impact shouldn't be up for debate.

Careless = fine
Intentional = 1 match

The difference is entirely up to the reviewer, depending on whether the bumping act was intentional or if the contact to the head was intentional.

2018MRPGraph-v2.jpg

High contact, low impact shouldn't be up for debate.

Careless = fine
Intentional = 1 match

The difference is entirely up to the reviewer, depending on whether the bumping act was intentional or if the contact to the head was intentional.

At one stage wasn't it Intentional, Reckless and then Careless?

Very few instances of players intending to hit someone in the head. Accidental head shots can be careless but someone trying to lay a bump and getting it wrong is reckless.

I would not say Sandilands action was intentional so the only option is Careless.

So medium impact equals 1 week, low impact is a fine.

At one stage wasn't it Intentional, Reckless and then Careless?

Very few instances of players intending to hit someone in the head. Accidental head shots can be careless but someone trying to lay a bump and getting it wrong is reckless.

I would not say Sandilands action was intentional so the only option is Careless.

So medium impact equals 1 week, low impact is a fine.

They also said that low impact was one that saw the player leave the field.

Lyons was at the bounce after the goal was kicked.

Force under that constituting a reportable offense. Thrown out, or low impact and a fine.

They also said that low impact was one that saw the player leave the field.

Lyons was at the bounce after the goal was kicked.

Force under that constituting a reportable offense. Thrown out, or low impact and a fine.

Thrown out not forcefull?

How many kgs is Sandilands again? 110?

He is damn lucky Lyon doesnt have a glass jaw and is a tough hombre who can take a hit.

If that had of been Oliver from Melbourne the doctors would still be assessing how much brain trauma he has.;) Would have needed the Westpac rescue copper to get him off the field.

Bit of tongue in cheek but you get the point. Sandi is lucky no damage was done as we have seen similar actions cause injury.

Who do Freo play next week?

Its interesting that we supposedly have a Match Review Officer, yet Steven Hocking is in his office discussing every incident with him every week.

Now, I can tell you I may on occasion argue with my boss over minor things, but Im never going to risk my job trying to change his mind.

So why do we even need an MRO? Why doesnt the AFL General Manager just make the decisions given he is rubber stamping them anyway.

LOL... this league never ceases to amaze.

How is this classed as CARELESS when it was behind the play?.

MRO is a joke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably deserved a week as it was a cheap shot, however if MC is going to err - happy that he errs on the low side.

Ultimately though - i hate how the injury determines the penalty. Lyons doesn't get up and Sandi spends a month on the sidelines for the same instance.

Intent is such a low factor, compared to outcome.

Probably deserved a week as it was a cheap shot, however if MC is going to err - happy that he errs on the low side.

Ultimately though - i hate how the injury determines the penalty. Lyons doesn't get up and Sandi spends a month on the sidelines for the same instance.

Intent is such a low factor, compared to outcome.
Outcome is also quite dangerous to use as a metric if they were to bring in the send off rule.

Lyons would stay down and not move until Sandi had been sent off, then back up and 'heroically' back on the field after a five minute review on the bench.

Outcome is also quite dangerous to use as a metric if they were to bring in the send off rule.

Lyons would stay down and not move until Sandi had been sent off, then back up and 'heroically' back on the field after a five minute review on the bench.

Hadn't thought of that - but agree completely.

I recall Mckernan lifting the elbow and flushing Sheppard clean. One of the worst acts I have seen on a footy field.

But because by pure chance the angle was such that Shepp didn't break a bone or wasn't concussed - he got 2 when the act deserved 6

yet we see players every week where the intent has no malice and they get 1-3 weeks for injury.

Should have been 1 week , lucky the outcome to Lyons saved him .
AFL is joke , too many cooks ... cooking up s..t as they see fit

Remove this Banner Ad

Back