Prediction How many games will the 2017 draftees play in 2018?

Remove this Banner Ad

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Old but gold.

Form:

ND
#4 Luke Davies Uniacke
#23 Will Walker
#62 Kyron Hayden
#72 Tristan Xerri
#77 Billy Hartung

RD
#4 Tom Murphy
#20 Gordon Narrier

My picks:

ND
#4 Luke Davies Uniacke - 18. Expecting big things. Physically ready. Might miss rd 1 and have 3 rest games. Only injury stops him from playing the majority of games IMO.
#23 Will Walker - 5. My boy. Could play wing or HF. He's small of frame but he's tough. Will rack up the ball in the VFL for a late season promotion.
#62 Kyron Hayden - 2. Shoulder injury hurts his chances this year. Especially since he needs to increase endurance. Should get a taste.
#72 Tristan Xerri - 0. Development year. Wait until he's ripe.
#77 Billy Hartung - 10. Unfortunately.

RD
#4 Tom Murphy - 2. Should be ready to play this year. I find it hard to get a read on him but he's an overager and should play.
#20 Gordon Narrier - 1. Gordy has a while to go before being AFL ready but should get a game as a goalsneak to give him an idea of what's needed.

Five draftee debuts might seem ambitious and no doubt injury will stall a couple of them but it's a development year and we seem to be debuting them sooner. If Larkey and Williams played last year I don't see why all but Xerri will debut this year.

#4 Luke Davies Uniacke 19
#23 Will Walker 1
#62 Kyron Hayden 6
#72 Tristan Xerri 0
#77 Billy Hartung 20

RD
#4 Tom Murphy 2
#20 Gordon Narrier 0

Barring injury I think LDU will start on the ground in Rd 1. I think the club will be very keen to show him off to the supporters and get buy in on the mid rebuild process. Overall I think he'll track at around 16-18 games depending on his body.
Hartung will play plenty early. If it goes well he'll play every game but whether that is the case I'm not sure - haven't seen anything of him. I'd punt on 18+
Hayden might jag a few games too but realistically it will depend on how much mid time we get out of Garner, Simpkin, Turner etc.

Luke Davies Uniacke - Hope he gets a big sample of AFl footy this year. 17 games.
Will Walker - Would love to see him appear in the 1's a few times but development in the VFL looms. 0 games.
Kyron Hayden - Tough to tell as the shoulder injury/surgery has a lengthy rehab time. Guessing 3 games.
Tristan Xerri - Competing with Goldy, Pruess and Daw while also being a long term project. 0 games.
Billy Hartung - Might step right into the 22. 20 games.
Tom Murphy - Could be a suprise packet. Put him down for 4 games.
Gordon Narrier - Might see him debut late in the year. 1 game.

LDU - 12
WALKER - 1
HARTUNG - 14
HAYDEN - 6
XERRI - 1
NARRIER - 1
MURPHY - 1

Like Sam PP I think LDU may burn out a little as the season gets on. Walker needs to put a bit of padding on, they're big boys out there. HARTUNG should be up to a nearly full season, HAYDEN looks like he'll handle this level Ok, but will start the season a bit late. Probably have the burn out LDU has as well. XERRI, NARRIER and MURPHY may get given a feel of it depending on how the season pans out. This all depends on the dredge injuries though.

I'm going to tempt fate and suggest we won't have as many injuries as the last couple of years, with most (except for LDU and the mature age Hartung) of our new players given the year to develop in the VFL but a taste of AFL here and there.

LDU - 20
Walker - 0
Hayden - 2
Xerri - 0
Hartung - 12

Murphy - 4
Narrier - 0

Morgan - 4

LDU - 20
Walker - 6
Hayden - 0
Xerri - 0
Hartung - 16

Murphy - 4
Narrier - 0

Morgan - 1

Will Walker reminds of Josh Williams. This time last year nobody expected he'd play ones in 2017.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

#4 Luke Davies Uniacke 15
#23 Will Walker 0
#62 Kyron Hayden 0
#72 Tristan Xerri 0
#77 Billy Hartung 22
#4 Tom Murphy 8
#20 Gordon Narrier 0

LDU (15) no need to push him to play every week
Hartung (7) expect most of his games to come in early part of season but to get pushed out later as we look to 2019
Murphy (6) wouldnt surprise me if he played a decent chunk im on his bus
Walker (2) looks as little light but expect he will play a couple late on
Hayden (2) likely off to a slow start with his shoulder problems but expect to see a game or 2 later on
Xerri (0) long term prospect
Narrier (0) looks a little light at this stage

Reckon he'll be better

He certainly has a poise about him, and seems to naturally get more involved in play than JW. Though I suspect JW is being coached to stick outside to provide the outlet option where he can then use his speed to burn people off and break lines.

But yes, WW does seem to be me balanced overall as a player.

#4 Luke Davies Uniacke 26
#23 Will Walker 1
#62 Kyron Hayden 5
#72 Tristan Xerri 0
#77 Billy Hartung 15

RD
#4 Tom Murphy 2
#20 Gordon Narrier 0

Remove this Banner Ad

Back