Analysis How many live picks will your club take to the 2021 draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, seriously.

I think the front page post has mistakenly included the Senegalese player (Bassirou Faye) who's on an international scholarship as a Category B rookie. In which case another player (I think it would be Mark Keane the Irishman) is actually the Cat B rookie - leaving a vacant spot that has been used on Charlie Dean.
Yeah I guess that's probably the most likely scenario. Though Keane was on the Cat A list last year I thought?

I guess we'll wait and see when the lists are finalised on Monday.

My understanding was Keane was on the Cat A list and Tohill (and Wilson) were the two Cat B rookies in 2021.
You may be right, but probably as a result of having two Irishmen on their list - only 1 can be counted as Cat B (is my understanding). So Tohill was recorded as Cat B and Keane as Cat A - but when Tohill departed, Keane was presumably recategorised as Cat B rookie. Problem is that AFL House never announce these things - it's just an interpretation.

You may be right, but probably as a result of having two Irishmen on their list - only 1 can be counted as Cat B (is my understanding). So Tohill was recorded as Cat B and Keane as Cat A - but when Tohill departed, Keane was presumably recategorised as Cat B rookie. Problem is that AFL House never announce these things - it's just an interpretation.

Yeah, it used to all be published but these days it’s mugs like us trying to piece everything together.

Is there any chance Collingwood quietly delisted one of their mid-season rookies and that’s where the extra spot has come from? I didn’t know they’d delisted Chugg til he was redrafted today.

Is there any chance Collingwood quietly delisted one of their mid-season rookies and that’s where the extra spot has come from? I didn’t know they’d delisted Chugg til he was redrafted today.
While I could cynically say, with the AFL anything's possible, no I don't believe that's the case.

Here's the AFL.com.au list of Pies list changes - Isaac Chugg is included and I was aware of his delisting. No-one is a surprise inclusion on that list; their mid-season pick-up Ash Johnson is not on the list, and indeed Footywire still lists him as a Collingwood player. So I think that theory is very unlikely.

Collingwood.PNG

While I could cynically say, with the AFL anything's possible, no I don't believe that's the case.

Here's the AFL.com.au list of Pies list changes - Isaac Chugg is included and I was aware of his delisting. No-one is a surprise inclusion on that list; their mid-season pick-up Ash Johnson is not on the list, and indeed Footywire still lists him as a Collingwood player. So I think that theory is very unlikely.

View attachment 1287946

Yeah after some quick Googling, it appears Chugg’s delisting was announced at the same time as Sier and Rantall and I just didn’t absorb it.

I think your explanation is most likely - Keane and Wilson are the Cat B’s and Faye is an international scholarship holder who won’t actually be on the list in 2022. I think that’s the only way a spot to draft Dean opens up.

Cheers. Here's my numbers. Anyone spot any errors, let me know.

Essendon: 39: 35 seniors plus 4 Cat A rookies (Baldwin, Durham, Snelling, Waterman), plus 2 Cat B rookies (Hird, McBride). Need 1 senior plus can take 2 rookies after that
Essendon only took the one rookie, so we now have 2 vacancies that can be filled via the PSS or MSD. Which is a similar position to last year, where we used PSS picks on Waterman and Baldwin.

Essendon only took the one rookie, so we now have 2 vacancies that can be filled via the PSS or MSD. Which is a similar position to last year, where we used PSS picks on Waterman and Baldwin.

Dylan Clarke is one that is training in the hope of getting one of those spots isn’t he?

Dylan Clarke is one that is training in the hope of getting one of those spots isn’t he?
When he was delisted it was said he might get back on. But I don't know if he's actually training with us. Selecting Hobbs would be a blow to his chances as Hobbs is pretty much a direct upgrade for Clarke, playing the same role. With Hobbs, our need for Clarke as depth is pretty minimal.

I think most Essendon fans will be hoping we're asking all the small forwards we can to come train with us, since that's our main hole in the list (depth behind Walla/Snelling/Smith).

Cheers. Here's my numbers. Anyone spot any errors, let me know.

Adelaide: 40: 35 seniors plus 5 Cat A rookies (Butts, Keays, Murray, Parnell, Strachan), plus 2 Cat B rookies (Borlase, Newchurch). Need 1 senior plus can take 1 rookie
Brisbane: 41: 38 seniors plus 3 Cat A rookies (Lane, Madden, Mathieson), plus 2 Cat B rookies (Michael, Uosis). Will use last spot to redraft CEY
Carlton: 40: 36 seniors plus 4 Cat A rookies (Boyd, McDonald, Mirkov, Parks), plus 1 Cat B rookie (Owies). Will use last two spots to redraft Cottrell and O'Brien
Collingwood: 42: 36 seniors plus 6 Cat A rookies (Begg, Chugg, Ginnivan, Johnson, Keane, Noble), plus 2 Cat B rookies (Faye, Wilson). Maxed out
Essendon: 39: 35 seniors plus 4 Cat A rookies (Baldwin, Durham, Snelling, Waterman), plus 2 Cat B rookies (Hird, McBride). Need 1 senior plus can take 2 rookies after that
Fremantle: 39: 36 seniors plus 3 Cat A rookies (Banfield, Schultz, Treacy), plus 1 Cat B rookie (Kelm). Will redraft Crowden and Blakely, can take 1 more.
Geelong: 40: 38 seniors plus 2 Cat A rookies (Atkins, Close), plus 2 Cat B rookis (Mullin, Tsapatolis). Can take 2 rookies
Gold Coast: 44: 37 seniors plus 7 rookies. I believe they're allowed 49 max so can take 5 picks, two of which will be redrafting Thompson and McLennan.
GWS Giants: 42: 36 seniors plus 4 Cat A rookies (Lloyd, Peatling, Sproule, Stein), plus 2 Cat B rookies (Brown, Shaw). Will redraft Wehr, can take 1 more.
Hawthorn: 40: 34 seniors plus 6 Cat A rookies (Bramble, Callow, Jeka, Moore, Newcombe, Saunders), plus 1 Cat B rookie (O'Hara) . Need 2 seniors.
Melbourne: 41: 36 seniors plus 5 Cat A rookies (Brown, Chandler, Daw, Smith, Turner). Can take 1 more.
North Melbourne: 40: 37 seniors plus 3 Cat A rookies (Edwards, Hayden, P.Walker), plus 1 Cat B rookie (McGuinness). Will redraft Polec, can take 1 more.
Port Adelaide: 40: 37 seniors plus 3 Cat A rookies (McEntee, Pasini, Schofield). Will redraft Mayes, can take 1 more.
Richmond: 41: 35 seniors (including Cumberland) plus 6 Cat A rookies (Aarts, Mansell, Miller, Parker, Pickett, Stack), plus 1 Cat B rookie (Colina). Have to elevate one of those 6, then redraft Nyuon. That's them maxed out.
St Kilda: 40: 36 seniors plus 4 Cat A rookies (Heath, Joyce, Sherman, Wood). Can take 2 more.
Sydney: 40: 36 seniors plus 4 Cat A rookies (Fox, McAndrew, McLean, Wicks), plus 2 Cat B rookies (O'Connor, Sheather). Can take 2 more.
West Coast:41: 38 seniors plus 3 Cat A rookies (Jones, Trew, West). Can take 1 more. Also I'm assuming Jarrod Cameron's delisted but the club's never announced it.
Bulldogs: 40: 35 seniors plus 5 Cat A rookies (Gardner, McNeil, Scott, R.Smith, Sweet), plus 1 Cat B rookie (Khamis). Need 1 senior and can take 1 rookie after that.

for Hawthorn, Bramble and Moore likely to get upgraded, which leaves us 2 rookie spots open for PSS pick ups or DFA's?

OK, seriously.

I think the front page post has mistakenly included the Senegalese player (Bassirou Faye) who's on an international scholarship as a Category B rookie. In which case another player (I think it would be Mark Keane the Irishman) is actually the Cat B rookie - leaving a vacant spot that has been used on Charlie Dean.

And this was correct - Keane and Wilson are Cat B rookies, Faye is not on the list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back