Analysis How many live picks will your side take into the draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

So, using Collingwood as an example, say they use 41,44, 51 and 57 to match picks for 2 players, do they have to use another late pick to maintain the 3 pick scenario?

No.

As Stamos mentioned, Collingwood need four spots open on the list at the start of the draft to be able to use all four picks to match two players, so Collingwood will have to take four picks in this year's draft and that excludes any rookie promotions.

After each player is matched any left over points will be returned to them as later picks, or if there's insufficient points they'll get a pick at the end of the draft and lose the required points from the corresponding pick in next year's round.

One option for Sydney and follingwood is an agreement like this:

- swans trade a couple of picks to pies for future picks
- pies do the same
- once blakely is paid for the first swap is reversed
- once Quaynor is paid for the second swap is reversed.

That way they can use more good picks than they would be able to otherwise.

Edit: this wouldn’t work haha. You could maybe sort of use this strategy with another club who had a list spot pick buffer though.

One option for Sydney and follingwood is an agreement like this:

- swans trade a couple of picks to pies for future picks
- pies do the same
- once blakely is paid for the first swap is reversed
- once Quaynor is paid for the second swap is reversed.

That way they can use more good picks than they would be able to otherwise.

Edit: this wouldn’t work haha. You could maybe sort of use this strategy with another club who had a list spot pick buffer though.

Plus the Pies have traded out their first round pick next year so can't trade out later picks, but it's an interesting idea to launder picks.

Freo have reportedly upgraded Banfield, Duman, and Nyhuis to the senior list, leaving 42 players currently on the senior list. With only three senior players uncontracted (Sheridan, Sutcliffe, Grey) they will probably have to delist/rookie some contracted players if they want to use more that 1 pick

We might go up to six

We have 9, 11, 18, 25 and I expect we'll draft.

We will also be looking at drafting Mummy and maybe Zac Clarke. Hopefully they will be late picks.

The real interest for me now, will be watching Port & Crows outmaneuvering each other to try and get up the draft.
Haha..I think you might be disappointed as I get the vibe from Reid that the crows won't be trading up. Now they will still nail 4 great kids with their 4 picks inside 21. Port also have not real reason to go higher up as apprently they are after Rozee and it is likely he will be there at 5 if Carlton take Walsh, GC take Lukosius and Rankine or the King twins and St Kilda will take M King or if Luko is there - they take him. I could be wrong but the crows are too conservative to try a port and trade up by consolidating the number of picks they have

Haha..I think you might be disappointed as I get the vibe from Reid that the crows won't be trading up. Now they will still nail 4 great kids with their 4 picks inside 21. Port also have not real reason to go higher up as apprently they are after Rozee and it is likely he will be there at 5 if Carlton take Walsh, GC take Lukosius and Rankine or the King twins and St Kilda will take M King or if Luko is there - they take him. I could be wrong but the crows are too conservative to try a port and trade up by consolidating the number of picks they have
Won't be the first time he's been disappointed this year... Snake_Baker will probably have a melt down and a days worth of posts deleted if Adelaide don't do it.

sensitive-child-gif.gif

It's been my view for as while that the Suns will pair up the King twins.

We'll have to wait and see.

There will almost definitely be a buyout/delist and rookie of a contracted player to allow use of pick 56, otherwise there'd be no point getting it back from the Pies. Several of the trades during the week were pretty clearly aimed at maintaining a minimum of four reasonable picks, e.g. two or three + an academy kid or two.
Confirmed by David Noble on the clubs podcast today that the Lions will take 4 picks to the draft.

Expect a contracted player to be delisted and the club commit to redrafting him in the rookie draft.

We currently have 2 Cat B rookies and 3 Cat A rookies.

For Nguyen van Phuoc's ( :p ) analysis, a few updates:

* Tim Broomhead has been delisted by Collingwood but will be re-rookied
* Darcy MacPherson (Gold Coast), Conor Glass (Hawthorn), Billy Gowers and Bradley Lynch (Western Bulldogs) have been upgraded as rookies.
* Josh Thomas has been given a three year deal and Flynn Appleby and Ben Ronke two year ones, so unless rules regarding rookie contract length have been changed then it's safe to say that they have been upgraded too.

Not sure Mohr and Kirby's delistings have been officially announced yet?

* Josh Thomas has been given a three year deal and Flynn Appleby and Ben Ronke two year ones, so unless rules regarding rookie contract length have been changed then it's safe to say that they have been upgraded too.

You can give rookies multi-year contracts, and even upgrade them part way through. Brisbane Lions have had at least two such cases - Archie Smith got a two year contract which worked out to his third year of eligibility on the rookie list and then a year on the senior list, and Oscar McInernay is currently on a two year contract extension, both of which look like he'll spend on the rookie list (his second and third years of eligibility).

You can give rookies multi-year contracts, and even upgrade them part way through. Brisbane Lions have had at least two such cases - Archie Smith got a two year contract which worked out to his third year of eligibility on the rookie list and then a year on the senior list, and Oscar McInernay is currently on a two year contract extension, both of which look like he'll spend on the rookie list (his second and third years of eligibility).
Ahh right then. Not sure why I thought you could only have one-year deals on the rookie list, unless the rules regarding that have changed recently.

Though given that Thomas has reached his max three years on the list, he'll have to be upgraded I'm pretty sure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

* Darcy MacPherson (Gold Coast), Conor Glass (Hawthorn), Billy Gowers and Bradley Lynch (Western Bulldogs) have been upgraded as rookies.

Changed my post based on the first two points - other than Conor Glass because I couldn't find any confirmation he was being upgraded. Got a link?

Will wait for confirmation on the other guys although it seems likely they'll be promoted.

Took out Kirby because you're right, it hasn't been confirmed by the club. Mohr's was apparently confirmed by the club at the best and fairest.

other than Conor Glass because I couldn't find any confirmation he was being upgraded. Got a link?
Source is apparently from 2017 so it might've changed - http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/2017-08-02/young-hawks-sign-on

“Conor made his AFL debut just two weeks ago and has shown he is comfortable at the level. He is a great mark, displays great intent, and has shown great skills on either side of his body. He will remain on Hawthorn’s Rookie list in 2018, with the promise of an elevation to Hawthorn’s senior list the following year.” GW

Makes sense, if you take Brownless with a late pick and promote those two guys then seems pretty straightforward.

BTW next year you can have Brownless's sister's boyfriend for a pack of Twisties.

Good to see the big man can do something right.

If tim Broomhead is delisted only to be re-rookied, can another club pick him up in the main draft? and if so, would another club do this?

If tim Broomhead is delisted only to be re-rookied, can another club pick him up in the main draft? and if so, would another club do this?

They definitely used to be able to take them in the full and/or rookie draft, e.g. Richmond took Banfield off Brisbane when he was getting demoted to the rookie list. I vaguely recall a rule getting proposed to give the ability to prelist the player when moving them to a rookie spot, but I don't know if that ever went through.

Hawthorn
2018 senior list: 38
Deletions: 6 (Rioli, Vickery retired, Burton, Duryea traded, Heatherley, O'Rourke delisted)
Additions: 4 (Scrimshaw, Scully, Wingard traded, Glass promoted)
Live picks: 4 (currently 53, 90, 108, 126, will probably pass the last couple)

I think we're upgrading Conor Glass, and using picks 53 and 90 only.

Will, I suspect, pick up a DFA

Suns recruiting staff are all over Lukosius and Rankine/Rozee at this point. Very little chance we take the Kings

Okay, I suspect they will play POrt & crows off against each other down the track, if a "homesick" situation arises.

Useful to work out the draft order (although it's a moving feast this year of course).

Let me know what I've gotten wrong.

Collingwood
2018 senior list: 39
Deletions: 2 (Fasolo FA, Broomhead delisted)
Additions: 2 (Beams, Roughead traded) (may also upgrade Thomas, Mihocek, Appleby)
Live picks: 1 (currently 41, also have 44, 56, 57, delistings to come)
The Pies have 0 live picks currently as it was reported that Broomhead is going to be rookied. Therefore this will leave 38 senior spots.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-16/flag-pie-son-of-a-gun-miss-out-on-deals

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back