Player Watch How many of this year’s retirees could find themselves at the Gold Coast in 2020?

Remove this Banner Ad

Richie Douglas could provide two years of solid assistance. His time at Adelaide was clearly done but he doesn't look like a lost cause age wise.

Gifting cooked, retired players another year on the Gold Coast will only make the Suns worse. Roughead and Armitage have next to nothing to offer on-field any more. Playing the game has passed them by. The type of player they should be getting are those who are just turning 30 and may only be offered ongoing one-year contracts at their current clubs. The Suns should swoop on them with 3-4-year deals. The likes of Issac Smith or Shaun Higgins could potentially give three years of A-grade service and have a greater impact on building a culture than washed-up blokes who will struggle to play a handful of games.
Bingo, most intelligent post in this thread. I'd be targeting Port's players in that age range (Boak, Gray, Ebert) since they're apparently being asked to roll over salary.

Daisy would walk into their team

Honestly I'm surprised he's not been given another contract with you guys, he's playing good footy and IMO he's got another two years left.

Though I understand now that Carlton are going in a different direction with their list.

I think that if Thomas is wanting to play on then GCS should try and get him on board.

Honestly I'm surprised he's not been given another contract with you guys, he's playing good footy and IMO he's got another two years left.

Though I understand now that Carlton are going in a different direction with their list.

I think that if Thomas is wanting to play on then GCS should try and get him on board.
I agree. It's a bit disappointing that Thomas is being let go yet a scrub like Polson remains on the list. Especially given Coniglio is not going to be coming, there is not a big need for salary cap saving

I agree. It's a bit disappointing that Thomas is being let go yet a scrub like Polson remains on the list. Especially given Coniglio is not going to be coming, there is not a big need for salary cap saving

Polson got a two-year extension last year, and is contracted for 2020.

Baffling though. The bloke really struggled last year and didn’t fire a shot this year.

Daisy would definitely be a good addition for the Gold Coast though, and arguably has a couple of years left in him too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unless they are going to play a majority of games next year, no. Great to get experience but if they are going to sit in the NEAFL like George Horlin Smith, no thanks.

Is there a story for Horlin Smith, injury, pre season? Sort of recruit I'd think should be a starting 22 player, lesson for recruiters.

So poor recruiting, mark it down as dont do that again.
Yeah, I reckon he was brought in more for the leadership qualities he possesses more than his playing ability. Last year we needed players of good character like GHS, Miles, Hombsch after losing Lynch and May.

We have good standards set now, we now need players who can play week in and week out. Anyone we bring in now will be expected to play the majority of games next year hopefully, which makes sense being linked with the likes of Greenwood and S.Hill (as examples) who would be walk up starting 22 players for us.

I remember Hawthorn fans saying the exact same thing about Hodge

Hodge was mostly cooked, and is a shadow of his former self. It is 15 years since he's averaged less possessions than he has this year. He's still valuable to the Lions because of his on field leadership - something they were sorely lacking - and he's still enough of a warrior that he's not a complete liability on the ground. Really, it is a testament to his quality that he can be so close to cooked, and still contribute as he has for 2 years. TBH I wish we had kept him - a cooked Hodge is still pretty decent. Should probably retire now though, as the trajectory doesn't look good, and he could go from serviceable to embarrassing if the current trend continues into 2020.

Hodge was mostly cooked, and is a shadow of his former self. It is 15 years since he's averaged less possessions than he has this year. He's still valuable to the Lions because of his on field leadership - something they were sorely lacking - and he's still enough of a warrior that he's not a complete liability on the ground. Really, it is a testament to his quality that he can be so close to cooked, and still contribute as he has for 2 years. TBH I wish we had kept him - a cooked Hodge is still pretty decent. Should probably retire now though, as the trajectory doesn't look good, and he could go from serviceable to embarrassing if the current trend continues into 2020.
Agree, Hawks would be playing finals this year with Hodge in the side. He has really surprised me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back