Player Watch How many of this year’s retirees could find themselves at the Gold Coast in 2020?

Quolls19

Debutant
Jul 4, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Targeting retirees is a short term solution, few would be as successful as Hodge.
They need to concentrate on a few 26/27 year olds that are displeased with contract offered to get 5 or 6 years out of them and lead the current youngsters

Fat Pizza

Premiership Player
Feb 1, 2001
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Fitzroy
So poor recruiting, mark it down as dont do that again.
The Suns needed leadership in the 2nds & around the club, not just in the 1sts. GHS has provided that. He was also recruited as a senior body, who could be used as a top-up midfielder to cover injuries to younger players. He wasn't successful in that role. The Suns now require recruits who can add value in the 1sts.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
Can't begrudge Burgoyne going up there for a few years on decent coin. He's done so much for the club and has been a legendary player for us.

I hope we can get something in return for him though, which seems unlikely.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
The Suns needed leadership in the 2nds & around the club, not just in the 1sts. GHS has provided that. He was also recruited as a senior body, who could be used as a top-up midfielder to cover injuries to younger players. He wasn't successful in that role. The Suns now require recruits who can add value in the 1sts.

Cheers, we all need experience across all levels.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Can't begrudge Burgoyne going up there for a few years on decent coin. He's done so much for the club and has been a legendary player for us.

Look at how well the 88 pick worked on Sam Mitchell, go again ..

Sirlemsip

Club Legend
May 5, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Indeed. He's unlikely to get to 400 if he stays with us, but injury permitting he'll definitely get enough games together over 2 years at GC.
I would also like to see GC succeed - and Burgers will do as much at GC as Hodge has done at Brisbane.

Both of those issues at play - happy to let him go for a 4th rounder.
Given GC will probably have a crapload of picks in rounds 1-3, we might even be able to get a 3rd rounder for him as GC can only use so many picks.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Indeed. He's unlikely to get to 400 if he stays with us, but injury permitting he'll definitely get enough games together over 2 years at GC.
I would also like to see GC succeed - and Burgers will do as much at GC as Hodge has done at Brisbane.

Given GC will probably have a crapload of picks in rounds 1-3, we might even be able to get a 3rd rounder for him as GC can only use so many picks.

Even better would be for him to be playing NEAFL footy developing the kids, & thats not a sleight on Silk - what Hodgey has done down back is less effective on ball IMHO & I base that on what Sam Mitchell did for the Eagles.
Effectively year one aiming to year two in NEAFL.

Generalissimo

His Excellency
Jul 14, 2002
Somewhere
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
The Mighty Cats
Is there a story for Horlin Smith, injury, pre season? Sort of recruit I'd think should be a starting 22 player, lesson for recruiters.

He played for us for a couple of years. He's by all accounts a terrific person, good leadership material. The trouble is that he's undersized and slower than a helicopter over a nudist colony. We persisted with him for a while because he tackles for keeps, and has a talent for flukey goals in congested situations. Honestly, I'd rather still have him around as depth than Scooter Selwood. It would not surprise me at all if some injury-riddled club snags him at next year's mid season draft.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I was assuming we are offering Burgoyne 1 year (as always) and GCS are offering 2. But someone on our board said GCS has offered 3 years. Just crazy to offer that many years to someone at his age.

Cant imagine Hawthorn budging from 1 year either. So there is a very solid chance he moves to GCS. Will be a shame if he celebrates his 400 in a plastic jumper.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers

that would be crazy. Burgoyne making it to 400 games despite the knee injuries

Oct 3, 2006
Gold Coast/Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Phillip Island Bulldogs/Lions AFLW
I was assuming we are offering Burgoyne 1 year (as always) and GCS are offering 2. But someone on our board said GCS has offered 3 years. Just crazy to offer that many years to someone at his age.

Cant imagine Hawthorn budging from 1 year either. So there is a very solid chance he moves to GCS. Will be a shame if he celebrates his 400 in a plastic jumper.

Harsh words from a supporter of an expansion club...where's the camaraderie?

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
5C3CD134-9F46-4A7F-995C-6F5DA2526D9E.jpeg

Back