How many players is a coach worth?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
A discussion that's been done before on BF, but an interesting one (IMO) with our up and down season.

Just how many players would a coach be worth? I suppose Choco in particular, but also in general.

Take a hypothetical.

If Choco fell under the proverbial bus at the end of round 22 and the AFL introduced a salary cap of a million more next year including coaches pays.
Leigh Matthews for example said he'd like to coach us, would you rather we spent the money on a multiple premiership winning coach with a tough gameplan and not try to trade for a star from elsewhere or take an unknown and poach a big name.

Is a coach worth a star player? Two, three? Only a middling player and our win/loss this year and the last decade would be similar no matter who'd coached us?

I'd rate a good coach worth at least as much as a star player. Certainly in the above hypothetical I'd rather use the extra money to tie up either a good coach with a track record, or the best (Buckley or Hardwick for me) of the next generation, then poach a player.

Mark Williams is one of the best coaches, and has a good track record.

There are no star players that have the wisdom worth (if thats your foundation for this arguement) nor the experience to win us another premiership.

Buckley is a favourite for me before Hardwick.

I think Roy Laird has more experience on coaching than Buckley or Hardwick go by his record in the SANFL and after thinking about it more and more, he would be a very good replacement should mark Williams wanted to leave on his own.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back