Coach How many premiership medals would be presented to a premiership-winning player-coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Westicle

All Australian
Feb 20, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
There is a pretty impressive list of premiership player coaches over the history of the game, admittedly none since 1979:

But theoretically, if Stewie Dew was sacked over the off-season for stealing the players' half-time lollies and Matt Rowell was appointed to the interim head coaching role, leading the Suns to their first premiership, how many premiership medals would he be presented after the GF?

Someone will probably correct me on this, but I didn't think the winning coach got a premiership medal. I thought they got presented the Jock McHale medal on the day?

Premiership medals only started around 77 when the match was first televised live, before that the clubs made their own medals for players.

Jock McHale medal began in 2001 with retrospective medals awarded back to 1950.

Only Jezza can answer what he got but pretty sure he got a standard medal in 1979, thought I must admit my memory is a bit hazy after all these years

Not sure they’d get two premiership medals, since it isn’t a different medal for a player and a coach. So like normal they’d have the Jock McHale medal plus a premiership medal. They could win the norm Smith too and have 3, I suppose.

Someone will probably correct me on this, but I didn't think the winning coach got a premiership medal. I thought they got presented the Jock McHale medal on the day?

Yes, looks like you're absolutely correct. I recalled after the 2016 grand final Luke Beveridge gave his medal to Bob Murphy, but apparently that was his Jock McHale medal. So I suppose in this scenario Matt Rowell would get 1 premiership medal and 1 Jock McHale medal.

Thread resolved, thank you mods.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back