How many rookie selections for your club & needs

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey cmndstab

Apparently James Webster our NSW kid has been promised a spot on our senior rookie list, instead of the NSW/international rookie list.

Essendon will have:

PSD: x 1
Rookie x 3
NSW: + 1 (James Webster)

As for needs, midfielders x two, ruckmen X 1

I assume you're right since you'd know your own players, but I don't understand why a club would do this. Is there any negative about being on the NSW/international rookie list? I mean, they could still be promoted and play from there, right?

I assume you're right since you'd know your own players, but I don't understand why a club would do this. Is there any negative about being on the NSW/international rookie list? I mean, they could still be promoted and play from there, right?
They're no different from any other rookie, other than being "additional" to the normal quota permitted.

They're no different from any other rookie, other than being "additional" to the normal quota permitted.

There is a difference between scholarship rookies and rookies. For example Carlton has Tuohy as an international rookie and Labi as an international scholarship rookie. Tuohy could be upgraded in the normal way, Labi cannot. As I understand it NSW scholarship rookies cannot play seniors, unless upgraded to full rookie status, in which case they take up a spot on the rookie list (and presumably cease to be NSW scholarship rookies). There are also junior NSW scholarships which are for underage kids and don't do much except give first shot to upgrade to either senior NSW scholarship or full rookie status. As I understand it a NSW or International scholarship rookie is basically a trainee at the club and able to play at VFL (senior or reserve) level, but not be upgraded.

There is a difference between scholarship rookies and rookies. For example Carlton has Tuohy as an international rookie and Labi as an international scholarship rookie. Tuohy could be upgraded in the normal way, Labi cannot. As I understand it NSW scholarship rookies cannot play seniors, unless upgraded to full rookie status, in which case they take up a spot on the rookie list (and presumably cease to be NSW scholarship rookies). There are also junior NSW scholarships which are for underage kids and don't do much except give first shot to upgrade to either senior NSW scholarship or full rookie status. As I understand it a NSW or International scholarship rookie is basically a trainee at the club and able to play at VFL (senior or reserve) level, but not be upgraded.
There's 2 categories of player being discussed here, which might be causing some confusion.

Firstly, there's the current NSW/ACT or International Scholarship holder. These players are NOT eligible to play at the AFL level, but can play in the various state leagues.

Secondly, there are the former scholarship holders who have been elevated to the team's rookie list. These players are additional to the normal quota of rookies. These players ARE eligible to play at the AFL level, subject to the same rules which apply to normal rookie listed players.

There's 2 categories of player being discussed here, which might be causing some confusion.

Firstly, there's the current NSW/ACT or International Scholarship holder. These players are NOT eligible to play at the AFL level, but can play in the various state leagues.

Secondly, there are the former scholarship holders who have been elevated to the team's rookie list. These players are additional to the normal quota of rookies. These players ARE eligible to play at the AFL level, subject to the same rules which apply to normal rookie listed players.

See, this is where my understanding of James Webster is grey at the minute.

Essendon have not mentioned anything about 'elevating' Webster onto the actual rookie list but he is currently training with us.

When a player is elevated to the teams rookie list, does this player hold a normal rookie list spot or do they go on the expanded rookie list that allows these NSW guys and international guys?

Thanks for clearing all of this us, I am obviously trying to see what options Essendon have in regards to James Webster who is one of our three NSW scholarship guys this year.

Thanks Vader

It's not unusual to have scholarship holders training with the team during summer. Indeed, the clubs have to have a development program in place for these players:

33.10 Annual Development Program
33.10.1 Annual Program
Clubs must present an annual development program for their Scholarship List Players for approval by the AFL by 31 January each Football Year which annual development program must contain the minimum requirements set down by the AFL from time to time.
33.10.2 Compliance with Annual Program
Clubs shall comply with, observe and perform each of the provisions of the annual development program approved by the AFL under Rule 33.10.1.

The clubs have the option of upgrading them from the scholarship list to the rookie list. They can do so using their last selection in the rookie draft and these players are additional to the normal quota of rookie.

If they get upgraded to the rookie list, then they're treated the same as any other rookie. The only difference is that they're additional to the normal number of rookies.

It's not unusual to have scholarship holders training with the team during summer. Indeed, the clubs have to have a development program in place for these players:

The clubs have the option of upgrading them from the scholarship list to the rookie list. They can do so using their last selection in the rookie draft and these players are additional to the normal quota of rookie.

If they get upgraded to the rookie list, then they're treated the same as any other rookie. The only difference is that they're additional to the normal number of rookies.

This is what I was looking for. Thanks for clearing that up :thumbsu:

They will then obviously need to be 'upgraded' as per usual I am gathering?

Agree with most of that. Can afford to take a punt on a couple of guys.

1 Rookie KPF, a trunk of a kid would be good.

1 Rookie smallish defender or smallish forward that can push up the ground with strength in kicking accuracy and some speed. Whatever they get, kicking accuracy and penetration mixed with speed is the necessity.

:thumbsu:

Bonus the Key Forward can play back and the Small Defender/Mid is a lefty!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back