How many weeks does Grey miss?

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol In what way did he sacrifice his opponent to protect himself?

Gov was hitting gray no matter what. If it hadn’t been the side of grays arm he tucked in it would have been grays hip.
If Gray had moved his body to contest the ball it would have been hip on hip and both fine.

McGovern didn't hit Gray. Robbie hit him.

He should have made any movement towards contesting the loose ball.

We all know the game is tough and players will put a big hit on a key opposition player when they see a chance, just like Laird tried to on Fyfe last weekend. It happens every game.

Sometimes they miss and it costs them.
The ball was going into McGovern's hands as Gray braced for impact. How does he know McGovern didn't cleanly take the ball?

Don't smash someone in the head with their head over the ball if you elect to protect yourself and bump.

Pretty simple really. Gray's technique was at fault.

It helps if you look at it with both eyes open.

How hard are you trying to persecute gray.

He didn’t “choose” to bump.

He was running at the ball. Gov came from the side and gray saw him at the last moment. There was about 1second between gray seeing gov and the collision. He literally had to make a split second decision and what time does that leave for action ? Can you stop running full pelt and reverse in less than a second ?

The afl mrp is a joke and they didn’t want to reverse the first new case, if you have any doubt about that look at woods suggestions ie gray was expected to not contest the ball because he was meant to know gov was going to come from the side and trip at the last moment into grays side.

The ball was going into McGovern's hands as Gray braced for impact. How does he know McGovern didn't cleanly take the ball?
Players make body contact with both their hands on the ball all the time, except when one took the chance to put a hit on an opponent.

Football should always reward the player going for the ball, not protect the player second to the ball from the consequences of their choice not to go at the ball.

He only had to make the smallest of efforts towards the ball but he didn't.

That he got careless for it was a miracle. A fraction of a second later McGovern stands up and Gray smacks him with a massive hit.

Players make body contact with both their hands on the ball all the time, except when one took the chance to put a hit on an opponent.

Football should always reward the player going for the ball, not protect the player second to the ball from the consequences of their choice not to go at the ball.

He only had to make the smallest of efforts towards the ball but he didn't.

That he got careless for it was a miracle. A fraction of a second later McGovern stands up and Gray smacks him with a massive hit.
Robbie was never going to get there quick enough to contest the ball, he isn't as fast as McGovern and McGovern got there first.

Its tough on Gray because he has more than one decision to make.

He's trying to read the bounce of the ball as he attacks the contest which goes towards McGovern's direction who lunges at it (neither of which are predictable), but at the same time he might expect to come off second best in a collision with a much heavier opponent.

Mr Woods argued that Gray had other options like ‘running in the opposite direction’
ROFL... not everyone plays like C Morton

Robbie is perfectly capable of changes of direction that fast, this video is full of them, particularly around the 20 second mark where he runs at full speed, then full speed sideways, then full speed again.

These challenges are just gunna be big money grabs by the AFL. This will probably set the precedent of things not being successfully challenged and resulting in many $10,000 revenue grabs by the afl.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Gray had moved his body to contest the ball it would have been hip on hip and both fine.

McGovern didn't hit Gray. Robbie hit him.

The issue with trying to argue that Gray wasn't trying to contest the ball is that Gray was running on a straight line and directly in line with the flight of the ball. McGovern entered the contest from the side.

UufBclU.png

Grey sees McGovern enter the contest from the side at the last second and his gaze changes. At that point contact is inevitable and Gray braces by turning his body away from the oncoming impact, as per millions of years of human evolution. If he doesn't turn away they probably clash heads and we'd have a far worse collision on our hands.

A ball player like Gray isn't putting a deliberate hit on anyone in a JLT game. Contact is inevitable from before the time that Gray sees that McGovern is contesting the ball.

Mr Woods argued that Gray had other options like ‘running in the opposite direction’

Quote is exaggerated: "veering away from the contest to avoid a collision" is what was reported as the option. Maybe that nuance isn't enough to make that a viable option onfield, but Kane Cornes tweeting that they said Gray could "RUN AWAY" is crap too.

Last edited:
How hard are you trying to persecute gray.

He didn’t “choose” to bump.

He was running at the ball. Gov came from the side and gray saw him at the last moment. There was about 1second between gray seeing gov and the collision. He literally had to make a split second decision and what time does that leave for action ? Can you stop running full pelt and reverse in less than a second ?

The afl mrp is a joke and they didn’t want to reverse the first new case, if you have any doubt about that look at woods suggestions ie gray was expected to not contest the ball because he was meant to know gov was going to come from the side and trip at the last moment into grays side.

How hard are you trying to ignor the obvious and condone a dangerous act as being fair and just part of the game?

If it wasnt a Port player it would be interesting to see what your view woyld be. If an Eagles player did that to a Port player I'd bet my left nut your view would 180 degrees the other way.

Move on ......

How hard are you trying to ignor the obvious and condone a dangerous act as being fair and just part of the game?

If it wasnt a Port player it would be interesting to see what your view woyld be. If an Eagles player did that to a Port player I'd bet my left nut your view would 180 degrees the other way.

Move on ......

My view would be the same. I’ve given you no evidence to think otherwise. My reasoning has not been without justification ie I’ve explained why it’s a stupid call. It’s absurd to dismiss my point because you call bias when I’ve been clear about why it was the wrong call.

Also lol at me apparently condoning a dangerous act.

Firstly gray never had intent to hurt , he wasn’t heading towards gov and the collision was unavoidable as soon as gov lost his feet.

Secondly how the * am I condoning a dangerous act but the afl lets hodge nearly decapitate Wingard and hodge gets a slap on the wrist? Cotchin gets away with a hit to the head because grand final?

We coughed up 10...but what's this I hear about Freo coughing up 20k to make sure the 1 week stood...

And Crotchin's bump was a hell of a lot worse.
Yeah right, he was attacking the ball and not the man plus it was Astbury who concussed Shiel and not Cotchin. But i suppose everything is going to revert back to Cotchin this year isn't it.

Yeah right, he was attacking the ball and not the man plus it was Astbury who concussed Shiel and not Cotchin. But i suppose everything is going to revert back to Cotchin this year isn't it.
He was attacking the ball AND the man. It was disguised ok. But there's no doubt that he had intentions to inflict pain upon some poor bastard.

And the Cotchin incident is ofc what folks will compare to, as it was kinda similar and recent.

He was attacking the ball AND the man. It was disguised ok. But there's no doubt that he had intentions to inflict pain upon some poor bastard.

And the Cotchin incident is ofc what folks will compare to, as it was kinda similar and recent.
If Cotch wasn't on 2 strikes it wouldn't have even been talked about, Astbury takes out Shiel front on which led to his concussion.....nothing said, Ellis runs past the ball and clips a GWS player high.....nothing said, why you ask.....because everyone was so obsessed over Cotchin hahahahahahaha

If Cotch wasn't on 2 strikes it wouldn't have even been talked about, Astbury takes out Shiel front on which led to his concussion.....nothing said, Ellis runs past the ball and clips a GWS player high.....nothing said, why you ask.....because everyone was so obsessed over Cotchin hahahahahahaha

Probably the best thing for Richmond about the whole Cotchin incident was that it meant those other incidents (that were more problematic) didn't get the attention they deserved. Instead, all the focus was on Cotchin who was always going to get off because he was sufficiently focused on the ball.

To simplify, Australian Football is a contact sport and accidents and injuries are a result by the very nature of it being a contact sport. I'd argue that 99.9% of collisions including Gray's on McGovern are not intentional or are not intended to disguise to cause contact "via opportunity". If you argue that the Gray collision is intentional you're delusional.

If HQ want to avoid collision then we may as well pack it up now and go home.

Last edited:
All three were lucky as buggery. Different rules for a GF...well, for certain teams - unfortunately a Port player is getting rubbed out for the same acts.

Cotch really should have copped a couple weeks regardless of the two strikes. Having two strikes and still not getting rubbed out is where it just gets absolutely laughable.

Anyway...

I don’t think Cotchin had any intent of malice at all in that incident. It was a dead ringer for like a half dozen other cases that got weeks though and that’s why people were pissed off. Everyone knew he wasn’t going to get done grand final week though.

Crotchin at least was reaching for the ball with one arm. Thats what saved him and thats the difference between that case and this one.
The difference between the cotchin and Gray incidents is that cotchin was against the smaller shiel when he went the ball. Its very plausible that Gray elected to brace for impact rather then dive and potential hurt himself in the contest because of how big mcgovern is.

and for the record I think gray should get a week but cotchin should have aswell.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back