Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Dec 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool fc
Feel bad to say it because i like Coughlin but i reckon he is in a heap of trouble.

If this were 2008 he would get atleast 4 weeks for his high bump on Winderlich but hopefully they have become a bit more lenient for his sake.

Let's bear in mind that Winderlich's career almost ended because of a pretty bad back injury.

From the same game NLM should expect to get a week or 2 depending on loading. It was a nice hip and shoulder but a bit late and these days if you connect with the head, even though it is a text book hip and shoulder, you still get rubbed out.

Any other likely sightings from the games so far?

Jaymin

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 8, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Leeds United FC
Feel bad to say it because i like Coughlin but i reckon he is in a heap of trouble.

If this were 2008 he would get atleast 4 weeks for his high bump on Winderlich but hopefully they have become a bit more lenient for his sake.

Let's bear in mind that Winderlich's career almost ended because of a pretty bad back injury.

From the same game NLM should expect to get a week or 2 depending on loading. It was a nice hip and shoulder but a bit late and these days if you connect with the head, even though it is a text book hip and shoulder, you still get rubbed out.

Any other likely sightings from the games so far?

Thats the worst front on contact bump i have seen since the 2000 Grand Final... Who knows what the MRP will do though? Considering what Winderlichs been through, i was worried he wasnt going to get up.

deck

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 7, 2004
Melburn
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool, SF 49ers, FSU
0 weeks

Absolutely nothing in it. 2 players going for the ball with Winderlich ducking his head at the last second. You have got to be having a laugh if you think that deserves a suspension.

Zvim

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 3, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He went for the ball, was just better at protecting his head. Free is about all it was worth.

Soul_Pie

Premiership Player
Jan 22, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think he will be in serious trouble, the contact was pretty hard and he failed to pull back when he saw Winderlich had his head over the ball. I think Coughlan's aim was to get the footy but it's been said time and time again that when a guy has his head over the ball you have to exercise a duty of care.

I too like Coughlan, but I think he will be spending a little while more out of the game for that incident.

SirJimi05

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Dec 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool fc
0 weeks

Absolutely nothing in it. 2 players going for the ball with Winderlich ducking his head at the last second. You have got to be having a laugh if you think that deserves a suspension.

Where have you been for the last 3 years? :rolleyes:

He was obviously going for the ball and not going the man. He actually got the ball as well (hit him in the back). He just turned the wrong way. If he turned ball side, then it wouldnt even be looked at....but I reckon he'll get a week or two for it, just because of the force of the contact. Pity.

deck

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 7, 2004
Melburn
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool, SF 49ers, FSU
Where have you been for the last 3 years? :rolleyes:

Most the suspensions for these type of incidents have been players who decided to go the man instead of the ball. At no stage did Coughlin (in the footage I saw) go for the man. Winderlich dropped his head when he realized contact was going to be made.

Jan 15, 2006
Oz
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Orlando Magic, Baltimore Ravens
Thats the worst front on contact bump i have seen since the 2000 Grand Final... Who knows what the MRP will do though? Considering what Winderlichs been through, i was worried he wasnt going to get up.

lol wut? It wasn't be worst and certainly was no where near the filth that Michael Long did I assume you are talking about.

Coughlan went for the ball just as hard as Winderlich but didn't dive in head first. Should he be punished for making that decision.

It wasn't a bump. Just a hard contest for the footy.

1 week if they must punish him for having a different mode of attack. 4 would be laughable.

Bulldogs Roar

All Australian
Apr 8, 2008
Gippsland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
I think he will get weeks, it didnt look good. Given he has done nothing for the last 3 years his record is pretty good so that will work in his favor.

On a side note, it has no relevance to the argument and decison of the MRP that winderlich has had back issues. He should be treated like any other player.

SirJimi05

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Dec 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool fc
Most the suspensions for these type of incidents have been players who decided to go the man instead of the ball. At no stage did Coughlin (in the footage I saw) go for the man. Winderlich dropped his head when he realized contact was going to be made.

Nahe mate these days the head is a no go zone regardless. Players have a duty of care regardless of whether they attack the ball or not. I dont agree with the rule but think he is in trouble.

Kaiser Powser

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
They were red hot on these 2-3 years ago and you would be looking at 4 weeks for something like that.

Thankfully they have eased off.

Hopefully he gets off, the fact that Winderlich was not harmed should bode well.

markr

Premiership Player
Aug 23, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I didn't see the Coughlin one, but Lovett-Murray will definitely get a holiday. Far from "textbook" in that he left the ground, and that was the first thing they cut down on even before the current head protection stuff, and "a bit" late is being pretty nice about it.

hougie

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2006
Dark side of the moon
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, Swansea, Bengals
Deserves weeks.

Roles reversed would you still believe that? Highly doubtful.

If he gets nabbed then we'll have players second guessing themselves and we'll be labeling them weak. Should Coughlan have done anything else he would've shirked the contest or belted the suitcase out of him Rance-Selwood style.

Contact was hard but common sense poses the question, what else should he do? And if anyone comes up with the answer, show me some footage because I doubt there is a reasonable answer.

Back