MRP / Trib. How many weeks for Gaff? LIVE Tribunal Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I wasn't aware what had happened at all until three quarter time when I checked my phone. I saw Langdon getting stuck into Gaff but I just assumed Ross had finally decided to tag him.

And I didn't see a replay of the incident until I got home.

At the ground we largely had little to no idea what had happened unless we stared ignoring the game and browsed the internet instead.

Like wise was at the game and had no idea what had happened other than I watched Brahshaw in the hands of the trainers and then, after being down for a while, go off very gingerly.

I watched Gaff get crunched by Ryan and "The Kebab Shop Flasher" in a gang tackle where the Flasher jumped off the ground and knocked Gaff in the head, with a shirt front.
It was a pretty heavy knock ... left him dazzed..... clearly affected by the knock , having been awarded a free kick Gaff gets up takes his and plays on.
Fast forward he latter in the game comes back on and kicks a goal.
Crowd ( me included ) give him a sturdy round of applause.

Forgive me for the applause I was bestowing Gaff , I was at the ground watching the game live without the digital media in my face or in my ear telling me what I was watching.....and neither checking the internet or dare I say checking on Big Footy ...... s**t I was engrossed watching the game live........... showing my age here why the **** would I be on my phone surfing the internet , when I was there at the game watching it LIVE.

Actually, out of all the incidents the one that immediately sprung to mind is Ty Vickery on Dean Cox. I would assume that the intention of Vickery and Gaff was to give their opponent a whack on the chest, which happens dozens of times every game and rarely even gets a free kick. But then they mess up their angles, hit them a few inches higher, and suddenly they've given a bloke a broken jaw and they look like an absolute dog. Sometimes you do something in a split second without putting any real thought into it, and it just has the most awful consequences. I think that's what Simmo was getting at when he said he didn't know if it was "intentional".

You can see from the front on replay that Brayshaw drops at the knees (presumably as part of a direction change - not suggesting he was trying to get hit in the face :drunk:) so his head is about 40-50cm lower when contacted than it was when Gaff starts swinging. Whole thing take less than half a second, and Gaff's eye-line is off to the right (i.e. not looking directly at him), so definitely wasn't the intending to hit him in the head (well, unless he can read minds). Just wrong place wrong time.

All that said, I expect Gaff will fall on his sword, plead guilty then try to mitigate the fallout. Minimum is 3, club will probably suggest 4, and the league will hand out 5. I'm not a fan of the idea that a genuine bit of bad luck can be the difference between a 5 week holiday and a fine, but that is the path the AFL has embarked upon, for better or worse.

My empathy goes out to Brayshaw first.

This has definitely ****** the club though, especially if he leaves.

What a brain fade. If he didn't mean to hit him in the face, then it's still stupid. If he did, then surely they consider assault charges?
Hamish Brayshaw or Gaff leaves West Coast?

What amazes me is how much damage Gaff has caused Brayshaw.

There’s not much of him, he wasn’t set to strike as in his feet weren’t planted in the way a blow like that would be thrown down in the ring, Brayshaw had his mouth guard in, even the way he initially jogged away once Brayshaw went down even suggests he didn’t know himself what he’d done.

Still,he deserves every week he gets.

Tom Bugg got six weeks, Barry Hall got seven weeks but IIRC there were additional weeks for previous bad behaviour. Gaff's was reasonably similar to both, so I'd guess six weeks is the most likely.
However, there are key differences in both:
- Bugg didn't break Mills' jaw and smash his teeth in
- Barry Hall was, effectively, in another era as far as the tribunal goes. Hall would be looking at double-figure bans for that nowadays.

As Bugg's is relatively recent, I suspect that's the guide, and he'll get something like eight weeks.

I accept that it was a completely out of character brain snap, but he'll accept what's given IMO and move on.

I'm glad to see this thread isn't full of feral apologists like on the main board. You'd swear there's a few who felt that Brayshaw should be suspended for bruising Gaff's hand.

Guys..I feel for your frustration,wish my club had as many wins on the board. Gaff my be of “good character” and have been a fan of his since he was Drafted. But unfortunately the evidence is damning,100m from play,clenched fist,broken jaw,4 broken teeth! Umm...sorry Mr Simpson,THAT was Deliberate!! Think it’s 6-8 week suspension.

Is anyone else puzzled at the level of hate Freo fans are directing towards Gaff? Prior to this their greatest derby moment was Kickett throwing punches at every Eagle in the vicinity.

Not at all surprised. They’ve got nothing else.

Is anyone else puzzled at the level of hate Freo fans are directing towards Gaff? Prior to this their greatest derby moment was Kickett throwing punches at every Eagle in the vicinity.
Glass houses down there in Cockburn. They've forgotten about Kickett and Dodd, the Carr brothers, Farmer's eye gouging and other asorted cheap shots, Dean solomans elbow to ling etc. Let alone the crowd behaviour. My missus is a Collingwood supporter and was spat on at Subi years ago by a drunken Docker after the game. It was the game when Woewoden tagged Pav out of it.

I wish people would stop referring to Brayshaw as a kid. He is on the field playing a mans game and has been all season.

Gaffy, Gaffy, what have you done?:'(

If you told me before the game that someone on the team was going to break a players jaw, Gaff would be the absolute last player I would expect it to be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still struggling to understand this morning that is was Gaff involved in this , so out of character, and a horrible decision made on field, the last player from the Eagles i would have thought would do something like this. However the fact remains he threw a punch on the football field, and it is totally unacceptable in my eyes for any player to throw a punch, wether it's a jumper punch, or something like this, he did not need to throw a punch in this situation, could have just pushed him away. If he plays again this season the tribunal would have got it so wrong.

As i was saying to someone last night re Nic Nat and Gaff.

Imagine taking 2 out of the following 4 players from a team, Reiwoldt, Rance, Cotchin, Martin... and see how it affects them in finals,

Heck add a 3rd with Kennedy.

FARRRRK

As i was saying to someone last night re Nic Nat and Gaff.

Imagine taking 2 out of the following 4 players from a team, Reiwoldt, Rance, Cotchin, Martin... and see how it affects them in finals,

Heck add a 3rd with Kennedy.

FARRRRK
JK will be back for finals, but it will be very tough without NN and Gaff

However, there are key differences in both:
- Bugg didn't break Mills' jaw and smash his teeth in
- Barry Hall was, effectively, in another era as far as the tribunal goes. Hall would be looking at double-figure bans for that nowadays.

As Bugg's is relatively recent, I suspect that's the guide, and he'll get something like eight weeks.

I accept that it was a completely out of character brain snap, but he'll accept what's given IMO and move on.

I'm glad to see this thread isn't full of feral apologists like on the main board. You'd swear there's a few who felt that Brayshaw should be suspended for bruising Gaff's hand.
Yep, no one is defending his actions West Coast fans who will protest Gaff’s character, remember how you felt when Tom Jonas crudely smashed Gaff and knocked him out in Adelaide. He got 6 weeks for that. Tom Bugg got 6 weeks for punching mills Unfortunately Gaff knows that he has let the team down and himself down and could cost BIG TIME

If AFL players are that precise at throwing punches to the jaw then why aren't they all making millions on the pro boxing circuit?
Maybe because its a bit different throwing a punch at someone who is expecting it verses a cheap shot?

Why are opposing team posters coming here and posting? The whole eagle fanbase is all feelings pretty low, no need to rub it in our face.

And all those Freo supporters trying to play holier than thou... just filth. Pretending as if none of your players have ever been to the tribunal before...

Theres a young man in hospital and another young man who made a huge mistake. Dont use this opportunity to butter up your own ego

Why are opposing team posters coming here and posting? The whole eagle fanbase is all feelings pretty low, no need to rub it in our face.

And all those Freo supporters trying to play holier than thou... just filth. Pretending as if none of your players have ever been to the tribunal before...

We’re all hurting, no point in rubbing salt in the wounds.
I am ok buddy so speak for yourself. We won the fights and the game - one gaff perhaps but he was being illegally belted off the ball and miss cued his retaliation

This close to the seasons end isn't good for gaff but we move on. It will give him free time to ponder his next contract.

When you get posters with this attitude is where I'm coming from mate

* off Pepe. Every board has w***er posters, you're often one of the Freo ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back