How many weeks for Mackay?

Remove this Banner Ad

I can see it being a strict liability that if you make contact with the head and they are injured you will be in trouble

Which of course will mean more players go in head first and not protect themselves which will lead to more issues with head clashes

They'd need to make it a reportable / suspendable offence for that, too. If a player puts himself in danger then he cops the same suspension as the player who made contact with him. Of course if he's injured for longer than that then it's more of a symbolic penalty, but it may give players pause before actually putting themselves in that position.

That's the whole issue with this incident - it wasn't a player choosing to bump and being responsible for the consequences, which is what they've cracked down on in recent times. In this case, the distinction needs to be drawn between a bump and a collision. There was no bump here - it was a collision between two players both going for the ball. Just because Clark got injured and Mackay didn't doesn't mean that Clark is somehow less responsible for the collision or the outcome. He was just the unluckier of the two players.

My point was that umpires are best placed to adjudicate whether there is an indiscretion or not by being in the moment and the closest to the action and knowing the rules of the game. The umpire probably made a bad call in this instance. It wasn't an easy one. It was split second. But wouldn't the system work better if we at least went with those umpires calls for the sake of some certainty and faith in those decision-makers in terms of how the game is played and assessing the dangerousness of certain actions, rather than every dog and his man analysing the video footage afterwards?
You haven't watched much footy in the last decade, have you?

You haven't watched much footy in the last decade, have you?
What have I missed exactly? In the past few weeks there have been cases sent to the tribunal that were not even paid as free kicks by the officiating umpires. What message does that send at all levels about the capability of umpires to officiate the game in a way that ensures player safety as far as possible within the rules of the game?

What have I missed exactly? In the past few weeks there have been cases sent to the tribunal that were not even paid as free kicks by the officiating umpires. What message does that send at all levels about the capability of umpires to officiate the game in a way that ensures player safety as far as possible within the rules of the game?
Umpires these days dont even know the rules, they want to be bigger than the game and thats what they think anyway, umpires have no idea

haha, not proven by you and the garbage stills you posted.
Geez, you’re really worked up about this. All I was doing was responding to someone stating that Mackay got to the ball first and that was a reason why he should get off. If you’d followed the exchange back far enough you would’ve seen that, but you went off half-cocked.

I’m happy for it to be said that Mackay and Hunter got to the ball concurrently. I just don’t think that stating inaccuracies helps, and possibly detracts from any case that the person stating it may have made.

I’m also happy that Mackay got off, it was definitely the right decision IMHO.

Geez, you’re really worked up about this. All I was doing was responding to someone stating that Mackay got to the ball first and that was a reason why he should get off. If you’d followed the exchange back far enough you would’ve seen that, but you went off half-cocked.

I’m happy for it to be said that Mackay and Hunter got to the ball concurrently. I just don’t think that stating inaccuracies helps, and possibly detracts from any case that the person stating it may have made.

I’m also happy that Mackay got off, it was definitely the right decision IMHO.
well it is the right desicion, just dont report him, there was nothing else he could do, coming flat out at Clark, he would not of stopped,

Can someone explain how McKay's bump was deemed ok when Sam Wicks' wasn't?

I mean, the way I see it, both were attempting to bump a player from the ball.
Wicks: low speed, limited force, opponent stayed on the ground
McKay: high speed, high force, opponent's jaw was broken.

I would be okay with Wicks getting a week if there was at least some consistency.

wicks.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back