How many weeks for Mackay?

Remove this Banner Ad

I am not a legal eagle but I suppose he could sue both.

If the AFL suspended Mackay he would need to get more compo from Mackay because he was unreasonable within the confines of what is acceptable.

With the AFL saying its okay, he theoretically can get more compo from the AFL

Brereton is talking about outcome now. If Clark long term outcome is bad the suit makes it relevant in terms of collecting compo.

See Clark could sue Berry to possibly because he pushed him into it a little supposedly
5048972.jpg

Far too early to say - and it is extremely speculative to say that he is a) has developed a chronic injury and b) wants to take it to court.

But if it does go to court, the AFL judgement today effectively apportions a lot of the blame to Clarke - mcKay played by the rules, Clarke is a professional, it is his responsibility to protect himself when an opposition player acts in a way that is entirely consistent with a) the nature of the game and b) was within the rules.

Interesting.

Because I would have thought Clark would have no responsibility especially given he was going for the ball and another Adelaide is at is side distracting him.

I hope AFL HQ where not throwing Clark under the bus in their approach

For all those talking about duty of care etc, does a footballer have a duty of care to his teammates ? If an opposing player hits another, then they say ge had a duty of care but they never talk about that if a player injures his teammate , it’s just friendly fire . If you are going to say players cannot attack the ball , then it should apply equally to teammate and opponent

100% agree. If the head is to be sacrosanct regardless of the act (as some people here debated it should all last night) then it shouldn’t matter if it’s a oppo player, teammate, umpire, fan or the bloody photographer on the boundary line.

Hence the stupidity of their argument

Because I would have thought Clark would have no responsibility especially given he was going for the ball and another Adelaide is at is side distracting him.

I hope AFL HQ where not throwing Clark under the bus in their approach
The rule of law is different from the rules of AFL, he may have been "he was going for the ball", but if it is not unreasonable for him to expect that he get bumped, then the legal onus is on on him to avoid that - he cant hide behind the rules of the AFL. And he is a professional so I dont think that is unreasonable. Now maybe he has an avenue to his own coach or club for not giving him the adequate preparation to be able to handle the situation or even the AFL for providing an unsafe workplace, but to sue MacKay, he would have demonstrate that what MacKay did was unreasonable and that Clark himself took all reasonable steps to avoid injury - I dont think he can do that.

So at the same time:
- A player can't be expecting contact when gathering a loose ball and so should go in low and open without any threat of contact
- A player knows exactly whether or not they'll get to a loose ball contest first, every time, without fail, in a split second
Players used to go in low and hard and if they were going to be second to the ball they slid on the ball to get out of the way or they chose to deliberately bump to take out the opponent - sometimes high but usually not.

Now they do what Mackay did which is a brace that the AFL recommends and it results in horrible clashes if the other player doesn't match with the same exact brace.

Mackay had 4 options:
1. Slow down and just don't contest - this is apparently what the tribunal want
2. Jump to the side or somehow over Clark - not likely
3. instead of bracing be assertive and choose to bump - banned
4. Realise the only way he wins the ball is to slide in under Clark - banned.

Hocking will now have to justify option 1. He should realise he's set players up to fail by removing their best options to avoid head high contact and endorsing a method of contact that is fundamentally flawed.

I don't have a strong opinion on the incident itself but the fact that sh*t for brains luke darcy mistook mackay for doedee makes me chuckle every time it's replayed
As much as i hate Darcy commentating, to be fair to him Mackay is probably the last person anyone would have expected to be in a contest like this

What sh!ts me the most about all of this that a player that is an important part of the team is now not going to be able to play for a couple of months at least, in pain and has to consume food from a blend for a lot of that time. But that's okay because according some, we can't take the bump out of footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What sh!ts me the most about all of this that a player that is an important part of the team is now not going to be able to play for a couple of months at least, in pain and has to consume food from a blend for a lot of that time. But that's okay because according some, we can't take the bump out of footy.
This but unironically.

That's footy, it's a contact sport, you can never eliminate head clashes. He didn't bump he literally braced for contact. Also he won't make a difference whether your team makes finals or not.

What sh!ts me the most about all of this that a player that is an important part of the team is now not going to be able to play for a couple of months at least, in pain and has to consume food from a blend for a lot of that time. But that's okay because according to the vast majority, we can't take the bump out of footy.

FTFY

What bump are you referring to?

Shane Edwards took out 2 of our best players, butters and duursma, with tackles in the same game. They havent played since. Sucks, but it's part of the game

The AFL, and indeed all contact sport codes, should create very clear rules that pertain to all aspects of contact between players, especially surrounding the potential for contact to the head of a teammate or an opponent, that readily inform the decisions players should make in a clearly defined set of circumstances on the field. These would need to be extensive and highly detailed, especially for Australian Rules Football given the 360 degree and relatively full-contact nature of the game.

Any injuries sustained during play or training within the bounds of those rules should be featured in a clause that each player signs as a legal acceptance of them taking a reasonable amount of risk of sustaining injuries during the course of their career.

Accidents happen.

And it logically follows that incremental changes to the rules of contact sport that seek to mitigate the risk of injury have got to stop at some point before the contact sport becomes a non-contact sport.

Thus, it is incumbent on each code finding highly intelligent and well-informed arbiters to draw those lines as soon as possible.

Otherwise, we are destined to have rule changes every single year with no end in sight, or risk the viability of the code going forward (ie. from financial ruin associated with a spate of lawsuits/compo claims).

Someone needs to take a firm level of control for this to happen and to be effective.

So not Steve"just clearing my desk" Hocking then?

Judging by the responses from some people in this thread, I can only imagine what you must think if you ever watch boxing or UFC/MMA. Under the current rules and all those before, AFL is a contact sport. Contact, heavy contact, that is within the rules of the game occurs, always has and probably always will. Nobody wants to see injuries and players out of the game for long periods or indefinitely. But that is the risk a player takes, accepts, when they put their hand up to say they want to play.

I love how Geelong gets a key player rubbed out for multiple weeks for some bullshit, there's a fuss in the media, and then a very similar incident happens later in the season to another club and their player gets off. Every. *******. Year.

Just once I'd like some other club to be the test case and for us to be the ones that get looked at once the AFL has done its usual backflip for no apparent reason.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back