DamoESP

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs, Dallas Stars
Well, if MRP are going off the precedent they set last year: Left the ground, elected to bump, contact with the head = 2 weeks.

But, it won't even be looked at.

The Kings Ransom

Premiership Player
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Well, if MRP are going off the precedent they set last year: Left the ground, elected to bump, contact with the head = 3 weeks.

But, it won't even be looked at.
It has to be.
Whilst it is a clear as day free kick, I can forgive them umpire in the moment.
But with the scrutiny every incident receives on non stop AFL shows etc.. I can't imagine it won't even be looked at.
Heard David King went off about it on a Fox show last night.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Cause Rowell is a pretty tough and strong lad, and got up not too soon afterwards, he will probably get off, bur worth at least a week or two off.

Ironically I think that moment was the turning point in the game for the Suns, whose players probably thought to themselves "**** it, we've had enough of being beaten up and thrown around like rag dolls"

Eagles had all the momentum before that bump.

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
Posted this in another thread, but this is the reverse angle which the umpires could see (they were both going for a mark):

"From the first angle, it just looks like he flew into him. But, if you slow it down in between the 13-15 second mark, you can see that Rioli is going for the mark too - but doesn't get there quick enough and so turns his body. Huge hit, but legal, IMO, and play on.

Here's the best screenshot I could get that shows he has eyes for the ball, and his arms are outstretched before he bumps (showing that he was trying to mark, and not bump):"

1647779163934.png

DanWA

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle Sharks
Thought it was going to be a suspension myself until i saw Shadow89 's post in another thread now i am unsure how MRP will look at it

Seadog

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 16, 2004
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth, West Ham
What else was he supposed to do, just charge headlong into Rowell. He was trying to mark the ball, he was the player running towards the ball, Rowell was running with the flight, he is entitled to run towards the ball and try and mark it. Had to pull out at the last millisecond and probably fortunate for both players that he did.

DamoESP

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs, Dallas Stars
MRP set precedent for these types of hits last year with the Lachie Plowman suspension.

Rioli lucky he only got offered one match instead of two.

SnusCG

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Posted this in another thread, but this is the reverse angle which the umpires could see (they were both going for a mark):

"From the first angle, it just looks like he flew into him. But, if you slow it down in between the 13-15 second mark, you can see that Rioli is going for the mark too - but doesn't get there quick enough and so turns his body. Huge hit, but legal, IMO, and play on.

Here's the best screenshot I could get that shows he has eyes for the ball, and his arms are outstretched before he bumps (showing that he was trying to mark, and not bump):"

1647779163934.png
That's the same position your arms would be in if you were tucking them in preparing to bump as well though. You also cant see where he's looking. Not to mention he hit him side on. If you're jumping at the ball straight on, you cant twist and rotate 90 degrees mid jump, that's something you have to be preparing to do as you leave the ground.

The fact remained that he left the ground, elected to bump (even if it was a split second decision) and hit him high.

Was always going to be a week

Apr 29, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
He's clearly jumping to mark the ball, not to bump. He's a less than a split second too late. What would have happened had he marked it (and the exact same contact occurs)?

Or are we saying he's not even entitled to go for the ball in that situation and the person blindly running with the flight of the ball is the only one allowed to go for it?

I'm not clear what other action he is supposed to have taken.

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham

1647779163934.png
He's clearly late to the contest in that angle - if it's a genuine marking contest he's stiff but Rowell is first to the ball, Riolo is lucky to only get 1.

Coasters7

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 27, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
That's the same position your arms would be in if you were tucking them in preparing to bump as well though. You also cant see where he's looking. Not to mention he hit him side on. If you're jumping at the ball straight on, you cant twist and rotate 90 degrees mid jump, that's something you have to be preparing to do as you leave the ground.

The fact remained that he left the ground, elected to bump (even if it was a split second decision) and hit him high.

Was always going to be a week
Nah he’s entitled to jump for the mark. Are we saying that players running back with the flight now have a free passage and the bloke running towards the ball should give way?

Understandable if roles were reversed and Willie jumped while running with the flight, but Rowell brought that on himself, courageous sure, but he has to wear the consequences, especially given it looks like it hits him in the shoulder/chest

SnusCG

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Nah he’s entitled to jump for the mark. Are we saying that players running back with the flight now have a free passage and the bloke running towards the ball should give way?

Understandable if roles were reversed and Willie jumped while running with the flight, but Rowell brought that on himself, courageous sure, but he has to wear the consequences, especially given it looks like it hits him in the shoulder/chest
there was no need for him to leave the ground though, the mark would have been chest height if he had stayed grounded due to the kick being a bit loopy.

also you can watch the footage again and he clearly clips him on the chin. The AFL have been pretty clear about trying to stamp that stuff out. If he had jumped straight forward and not side on I'd have said he shouldn't have received anything but the turning the body changes everything.

Take the West Coast glasses off. I really doubt if someone had done that to an Eagles player you wouldn't be expecting at least a week.

May 29, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
there was no need for him to leave the ground though, the mark would have been chest height if he had stayed grounded due to the kick being a bit loopy.

also you can watch the footage again and he clearly clips him on the chin. The AFL have been pretty clear about trying to stamp that stuff out. If he had jumped straight forward and not side on I'd have said he shouldn't have received anything but the turning the body changes everything.

Take the West Coast glasses off. I really doubt if someone had done that to an Eagles player you wouldn't be expecting at least a week.
I would think there would be dozens of incidences a week of players leaving the ground to take a chest mark .... Rioli's only issue was that he got there a bee's dick too late ..... it was far from a deliberate hit

SnusCG

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I would think there would be dozens of incidences a week of players leaving the ground to take a chest mark .... Rioli's only issue was that he got there a bee's dick too late ..... it was far from a deliberate hit
again it's not even the leaving the ground part that is the issue, it's the rotation of the body and the bump that's cost him a week

Back