Hoops

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 30, 2004
Forever in contention
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Vixens
Not this year though. Hawkins just got a fine for the same grades action, so they've been treated equally this year.

It's a fair punishment for what's been given out this year, but I'd agree that must be changed for next year. It doesn't belong in modern footy where true courage is 175mm Baker running back into a pack.
Hawkins got a week and challenged it at the tribunal. So they werent seen by the MRP as the same.

Mate... lynch was a flog all game. Deserved more than that.
So I guess Sheed was a flog all game against the Pies a few weeks back?

Hawkins got a week and challenged it at the tribunal. So they werent seen by the MRP as the same.
Hawkins threw an elbow at Ryan that hit him shoulder/neck area, which is graded as high contact rather than body that Lynch hit.

javaguice

Premiership Player
Feb 29, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
So I guess Sheed was a flog all game against the Pies a few weeks back?
Can't recall it my friend. But no, if you kick a winning GF goal for the Eagles, you can get away with anything in my book.

So.... bad example bruv. But I love your enthusiasm.

It doesn't happen all the time and it doesn't belong in the game, which is why he was (albeit very leniently) penalised. No junior coach is telling his forwards to whack their opponent when the balls coming to get some separation.
Junior coaches in local footy probably not, but rest assured at elite level junior footy like TAC Cup they'd be teaching key forwards how to get separation by pushing off. If you think they don't then you're being naive.

Hoops

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 30, 2004
Forever in contention
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Vixens
Hawkins threw an elbow at Ryan that hit him shoulder/neck area, which is graded as high contact rather than body that Lynch hit.
Also Hawkins was being tackled without the ball and was careless where as Lynch was deliberate. I'm not saying the MRP got it wrong based on the criteria, just that they should come down harder for deliberate off the ball acts.

Can't recall it my friend. But no, if you kick a winning GF goal for the Eagles, you can get away with anything in my book.

So.... bad example bruv. But I love your enthusiasm.
Let me refresh your memory

Also Hawkins was being tackled without the ball and was careless where as Lynch was deliberate. I'm not saying the MRP got it wrong based on the criteria, just that they should come down harder for deliberate off the ball acts.
Lynch was being scragged 50m off the ball by an opponent trying to stop him playing the ball on it's merits. While his act was deliberate, where he shoved/hit him wasn't. As I've said numerous times today, that action happens dozens of times a game, it's just the 0.1% of the time that the opponent cops it in the bread basket that it stands out. Can guarantee the likes of Hawkins Esava Dangerfield would all do similar things when playing forward or in the midfield to try and get separation from a close checking opponent.

Junior coaches in local footy probably not, but rest assured at elite level junior footy like TAC Cup they'd be teaching key forwards how to get separation by pushing off. If you think they don't then you're being naive.
Pushing off and punching someone in the guts are two very different things. Don't be so naive.

Pushing off and punching someone in the guts are two very different things. Don't be so naive.
Did he punch him in the gut though? Hard to tell from the blurry behind the goals footage or even the front on angle that doesn't really catch it, but apparently every single opposition fan can clearly tell what he did.

Having copped my fair share of shoves & whacks as a full back back when I was playing local footy I can assure you whack to the body to get your opponent off balance and create separation is no different to a shove, just the force used it slightly greater.

Did he punch him in the gut though? Hard to tell from the blurry behind the goals footage or even the front on angle that doesn't really catch it, but apparently every single opposition fan can clearly tell what he did.

Having copped my fair share of shoves & whacks as a full back back when I was playing local footy I can assure you whack to the body to get your opponent off balance and create separation is no different to a shove, just the force used it slightly greater.
Thats arguing semantics, from the way Collins reacted and the motion of Tom's arm it is very likely it was a punch and not a belly rub. Either way its very different to pushing off your opponent.

Feb 9, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
I think by this stage we've all got a good read on how these incidents *could* be classified.

Intentional and body contact weren't up for debate, low or medium impact was the point of contention. Looking at what's been considered low impact this year, I thought this one was obviously medium, so I reckon he's lucky.

It's not an egregious decision by any means, but the option was there to suspend him and get serious about stopping these gut punches. Chrisso has chosen not to, so I hope that's applied to all future decisions.

stormskye

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 24, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
After what happened to Silvagni would have expected a week. Innocuous punches to the body can result in serious injury. Should have got a week, needs to be stamped out.

Thats arguing semantics, from the way Collins reacted and the motion of Tom's arm it is very likely it was a punch and not a belly rub. Either way its very different to pushing off your opponent.

But he didn't react to Lynch he took off after him and it was only after Aarts hit him again that he went down

Not disagreeing that contact was made, what I'm suggesting is that the same type of thing happens dozens of times a game, it's just that the ones that don't stop an opponent in their tracks don't get highlighted. Reckon if us plebs got to see all the behind the goals footage that clubs/MRO get to see you'd see the same sort of thing happening at nearly every contest in a F50. Yet the only time we get to see it is when the media can make a story out of something.

So I take it we all start calling for Collins to get a fine or rubbed out after this from the 3rd quarter then. :rolleyes:

lol you are taking the piss yeah?

he ******* chest bumped him...

lynch hit the bloke in the guts.....

completely different

Not disagreeing that contact was made, what I'm suggesting is that the same type of thing happens dozens of times a game, it's just that the ones that don't stop an opponent in their tracks don't get highlighted. Reckon if us plebs got to see all the behind the goals footage that clubs/MRO get to see you'd see the same sort of thing happening at nearly every contest in a F50. Yet the only time we get to see it is when the media can make a story out of something.
Agreed, I've seen it happen sitting behind the goals at games before as I'm sure most of us have but having said that, it still doesn't belong in the game as its really just a dirty tactic, even if everyone does it.

Coasters7

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 27, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
No ones disagreeing that it happens all the time. It’s just that Christian seems to pick and choose which ones to make an example out of. Guarantee you if it’s some second year random doing the same thing he gets a week. “Potential to cause injury” only seems to be whipped out when he’s hellbent on banning someone but doesn’t really have a legitimate reason. Exhibit A, Elliot Yeo.

It’s just so half arse. If you want to stamp it out, cool, ban everyone that does it.. otherwise stop pulling bans out of a hat and just leave it be. It’s that simple, one or the other. The inconsistency is everyone’s problem, not necessarily the specific act (although it is a dog move and no one should be encouraging it).

biaseddustyfan

|17🏆|18🏆|19🏆|20🏆|21🏆|22🏆|23🏆|24🏆|25🏆|
May 15, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Dusty
So I take it we all start calling for Collins to get a fine or rubbed out after this from the 3rd quarter then. :rolleyes:

there's a big difference here tho, lynch neither played for a free OR had a big angry pubescent boy level meltdown after the game so it's not as bad right?

Back