Surprise surprise ...tigers are so protected

52B38626-D7C7-406B-8D7D-261C3F55A834.jpeg

Hawkins still the only player suspended for a jumper punch

Andyy

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Like all fervent AFL supporters there is nothing better than seeing a Tiger supporter all wound up however with all due respect the gut punch by the AFL's prime nancy boy Tom Lynch on Sam Collins was less impactful than what my 5 year old could hand out.

Even more laughable was Collins being felled by the pathetic Aarts attempt to strike which would have been lucky to extinguish a small candle.

So where does this leave soft as yoghurt Collins who carried on like an absolute immature sulking goose in the changerooms afterwards?

Seriously give me back 80s footy any day!!

Not sure why your post doesn't have more likes given it is 100% objective and correct. Guess everyone likes a tanty on BF.

'Punch' I don't know about that...usually when people go to punch one another they tend to line them up a bit better. This was clearly a little whack and Collins' behaviour after the game was downright petulant and pathetic.

Happy for these incidents to be fined. If the AFL/MRO want to start dishing out 1 match suspensions for this crap then I am OK with that too if it's consistent > but other examples such as Hawkins, Cunnington, Abblett etc would suggest this is very consistent so far.

Lastly I would really like to see the AFL/MRO addressing intent more than result. ANB's 4 week suspension is harsh. The outcomes of the incident should not determine the consequence - it would always be the intent because it's the intent that you want to curb. Some injuries have innocuous factors and some players are just downright tougher/luckier than others.

VicBased

Club Legend
May 3, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Not this year though. Hawkins just got a fine for the same grades action, so they've been treated equally this year.

It's a fair punishment for what's been given out this year, but I'd agree that must be changed for next year. It doesn't belong in modern footy where true courage is 175mm Baker running back into a pack.
He must be really, really short.

G String

All Australian
Jan 3, 2008
Brighton
AFL Club
Richmond
This sort of thing should be stamped out but you cant change the rules mid season - they've been dishing out fines for this type of act all year. You virtually have to kill someone to get suspended. I'm tipping they'll review it and crack down on it next season

Nov 26, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Surprise surprise ...tigers are so protected

View attachment 939460
Hawkins still the only player suspended for a jumper punch
That suggests that fines arent much of a disincentive and the Tigers are quite happy to pushing that edge to "bully" teams. Not the first successful team to go down that route.
Does make me wonder how much a strikes (or 5 yellow card for a system from other sports) system would work for AFL. Would have rubbed out both Riewoldt and Lynch and Dusty would be on notice.

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
That suggests that fines arent much of a disincentive and the Tigers are quite happy to pushing that edge to "bully" teams. Not the first successful team to go down that route.
Does make me wonder how much a strikes (or 5 yellow card for a system from other sports) system would work for AFL. Would have rubbed out both Riewoldt and Lynch and Dusty would be on notice.
tbh, as we saw with fyfes first brownlow theyd just rig it once it comes to the final chance anyway

gafgggr

Rookie
Jul 15, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
No ones disagreeing that it happens all the time. It’s just that Christian seems to pick and choose which ones to make an example out of. Guarantee you if it’s some second year random doing the same thing he gets a week. “Potential to cause injury” only seems to be whipped out when he’s hellbent on banning someone but doesn’t really have a legitimate reason. Exhibit A, Elliot Yeo.

It’s just so half arse. If you want to stamp it out, cool, ban everyone that does it.. otherwise stop pulling bans out of a hat and just leave it be. It’s that simple, one or the other. The inconsistency is everyone’s problem, not necessarily the specific act (although it is a dog move and no one should be encouraging it).

I remember when Cyril was charged for striking and didn’t even connect and was done on potential to hit

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Apr 24, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
It will be tempting for people to howl about this and the Merrett one in particular being inconsistent, but it's not quite that simple

Lynch's punch was a retaliatory strike for Collins doing the same to him. And he didn't break his ribs. Merrett severely injured his opponent and there is no evidence it was a reaction to being punched by Silvagni first.

Impact shouldn't be the sole criteria like it so often is, but it shouldn't be ignored either. You have to treat a player who injures the opponent more harshly than one that doesn't, and one who isn't retaliating more harshly than one who is.

If Lynch should have got a week, then Merrett should have got 2. It would be just as ridiculous to treat the two instances as exactly the same, as treating them as if there were no similarities. Part of applying consistent sanctions is properly assessing which offences are worse than others.

I would have been happy with 1 week each for both Lynch and Collins, 2 for Merrett to try and stamp this sh*t out. Fines are clearly inadequate

A no-name like Alex Neal-Bullen would've got a couple of weeks.

Jake Aarts must be an absolute superstar then, his punch was the one that put Collins down and he didn't even get looked at

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Pretty sure there are ten teams other than Richmond who've had every cited player let off with a fine. But let's all obsess over the reigning premiers...

Back