Moved Thread How might the AFL be in 20 years?

Remove this Banner Ad

crows90

Debutant
Nov 27, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
Team composition
In:
North Sydney
3rd WA team
Norwood
Auckland
Wellington
Jarkta
Java
Tokyo

Out:
Western bulldogs
North Melbourne
Port Adelaide
Geelong
Expansion seems to be dominated by TV rights value so those teams above would provide the least interest for TV stations

Rule/Other changes:
Draft age raised to 21 - rasing the age closer to the age that players start performing
Unlimited interchange bench - will make games more even
Local state leagues all played on a Saturday with AFL not played on that day - breathes life into all levels of the game
Reduction in time served for player to achieve free agency - shortens the rebuilding time for each club
Players get 70% of league revenue rather than administrators wasting it - makes aussie rules the most attractive sport to play in aus
Teams only play each other once or a conference system is introduced
All games available on YouTube after a period of a year

Please give your thoughts and suggestions of Team composition and Rule/Other changes you wouldn't mind seeing.

No way will we have a Tokyo team or 2 NZ teams.

I don't think, in terms of numbers of teams, the AFL will change much. We might have a NZ team but that is all and anyway that is a very small chance.

Team composition
In:
North Sydney
3rd WA team
Norwood
Auckland
Wellington
Jarkta
Java
Tokyo

20 years hey?

Plan on building a stadium in Tokyo bigger nuff to house a 170 mtr long oval?

And Kiwis will never embrace the AFL. Not now or in 50 years time.

Well, if Port goes under, I could certainly see Norwood forming the second SA team.

As for international teams, never say never. Although if the sport catches on overseas I wouldn't expect them to remain in our league for long...

agree another team north sydney, also another perth and brisbane team and auckland, , see north going, weaker sides bulldogs and essendon merging, and melboune and st kilda also merging

To be honest, every time I think of AFL in 20-40 years, I always imagine it as a complete different competition to what we know it today. I think it may be more national rather than Victorian concentrated.
Out:
Port
Mergers:
Melbourne/Hawthorn
Relocation:
Tasmania Kangaroos (North relocate)
Darwin Bulldogs (Bulldogs relocate)
Wellington Saints (St Kilda relocate)

Victoria:
Melbourne Hawks
Collingwood
Essendon
Richmond
Carlton
Geelong

NSW:
Sydney
GWS

Queensland:
Brisbane
Gold Coast

South Australia:
Adelaide
(Maybe another SA team?)

WA:
West Coast
Fremantle
(Maybe third team?)

NT:
Darwin

NZ:
Wellington

To be honest, every time I think of AFL in 20-40 years, I always imagine it as a complete different competition to what we know it today. I think it may be more national rather than Victorian concentrated.
Out:
Port
Mergers:
Melbourne/Hawthorn
Relocation:
Tasmania Kangaroos (North relocate)
Darwin Bulldogs (Bulldogs relocate)
Wellington Saints (St Kilda relocate)

Victoria:
Melbourne Hawks
Collingwood
Essendon
Richmond
Carlton
Geelong

NSW:
Sydney
GWS

Queensland:
Brisbane
Gold Coast

South Australia:
Adelaide
(Maybe another SA team?)

WA:
West Coast
Fremantle
(Maybe third team?)

NT:
Darwin

NZ:
Wellington
Why would Hawthorn merge?
One of the strongest clubs off the field. Hawthorn are completely different from 1996.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ahh! I stand corrected then, Thanks for clearing that up.
act.jpg

lk.jpg

I can't believe there would be an overseas team in the competition in the near future. NZ at an absolute stretch, but even that feels very unlikely. There just isn't much overseas interest in AFL. Maybe they could focus on winning over people from this country before expanding overseas?

Why would Hawthorn merge?
One of the strongest clubs off the field. Hawthorn are completely different from 1996.
I am not saying they are weak. I think Melbourne may be the problem and would need to merge. They wouldn't dump the oldest team just like that though, so would probably merge them with another strong and successful team like Hawthorn. There would be no point IMO to merge them with a team like Bulldogs or North.

I think that they would cull/merge some Victorian teams to make it more of a national competition.
I have always thought it to be the team with the name "Melbourne" and 4 other clubs + Geelong. Its either between Richmond or Hawthorn (both sort of representing the east) and I would think that Richmond would be the safer option. You can guarantee some interest in them whether up the ladder or down the ladder. Don't think that would be the case with Hawthorn. Richmond had 2 finals appearances in 30 years yet still have a big supporter base, which would be hard to argue against.

I'm going out on a limb here but:
In: Wellington
Out: Doggies (sorry Doggies fans but the AFL would love to scrap a struggling Victorian club to expand the game).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back