Moved Thread How might the AFL be in 20 years?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not the AFL's fault with Port. They could have reached out to all SA fans and said "get on board, we're not the Port you hated before, we're all about slaughtering Victorians yadda yadda..."

Port Adelaide has never immersed itself in the anti-Victorian bile that nourishes the rest of the hicks in this godforsaken state. Our Team of the Century ruckman was a Vic, our Team of the Century fullback was a Vic and the father of our greatest AFL-era player came to the club via Victoria.

Reality is, whichever branding the second licence used it was always going to struggle for market share against a defacto Origin team with 6 years headstart that culminated in back to back premierships.

Add this to the extortionist profitsharing deal (80% to the SANFL to 2001) and stadium deals (worst profit-per-head in the competition) and the perennially s**t fixturing coupled with live against the gate and it wouldn't matter if we ran out in a guernsey showing Ken Cunningham ****ing Ted Whitten in the arse with a frogcake and a bag of Fruchocs lubed with West End and Farmers Union Iced Coffee, we'd still struggle.

Just like no one gives a s**t about west coast... excellent answer...

Hey Sarcasmo,

South Australians were so parochial they could take or leave the AFL. They wouldn't have abandoned their local clubs for anything other than a defacto State of Origin team, which the Crows were.

Hey Sarcasmo,

South Australians were so parochial they could take or leave the AFL. They wouldn't have abandoned their local clubs for anything other than a defacto State of Origin team, which the Crows were.

but western australians would? you can say whatever you like but there is no way in hell the people of SA would just ignore (there) two teams in a national competition, Even if they didn't like them at first.

but western australians would? you can say whatever you like but there is no way in hell the people of SA would just ignore (there) two teams in a national competition, Even if they didn't like them at first.

West Coast's crowds from 1987-1990 were really quite poor and only picked up when they looked like winning a flag, look it up.

Rightly or wrongly for the future prospects of the second licence, the SANFL engineered the first licence's branding so that 40000+ foamy-mouthed Kic-A-Vic jagaloons would be rocking up from the start.

West Coast's crowds from 1987-1990 were really quite poor and only picked up when they looked like winning a flag, look it up.

Rightly or wrongly for the future prospects of the second licence, the SANFL engineered the first licence's branding so that 40000+ foamy-mouthed Kic-A-Vic jagaloons would be rocking up from the start.

yeah i know the eagles took a while to fire but look at them now, which is the point I'm trying to make. SA was always going to have a presence in a national competition and at the time the "state team" probably seemed like the best idea but it was very shortsighted. North v South would have been much slower for sure but i think by now you would be seeing more benefits.

Port Adelaide has never immersed itself in the anti-Victorian bile that nourishes the rest of the hicks in this godforsaken state. Our Team of the Century ruckman was a Vic, our Team of the Century fullback was a Vic and the father of our greatest AFL-era player came to the club via Victoria.

Reality is, whichever branding the second licence used it was always going to struggle for market share against a defacto Origin team with 6 years headstart that culminated in back to back premierships.

Add this to the extortionist profitsharing deal (80% to the SANFL to 2001) and stadium deals (worst profit-per-head in the competition) and the perennially s**t fixturing coupled with live against the gate and it wouldn't matter if we ran out in a guernsey showing Ken Cunningham ****ing Ted Whitten in the arse with a frogcake and a bag of Fruchocs lubed with West End and Farmers Union Iced Coffee, we'd still struggle.
That's an image I could have done without...

I recall Kick A Vic bumper stickers paid for by the SA government and included in the Advertiser when I visited Adelaide in the mid-80's...you guys have it in you to be as parochially ugly as any Bay 13 bogun with a Big V tattooed on his arse...!

Just saying though, if you want the 50000 memberships and public support that would equate to 50% of the SA fan base, you need to be a bit more inclusive...seriously, I've never seen two brothers at each other's throats as hard as my two ex-pat Sturt supporting mates when one dared suggest barracking for the Power...

Hey Sarcasmo,

Rubbish. They would have dropped their teams quicker than you'd drop your grandmother for a win in the Spanish Lottery. My mates are living proof, and every state is, in fact...state v state appeals to everyone in this country...

Rubbish. They would have dropped their teams quicker than you'd drop your grandmother for a win in the Spanish Lottery. My mates are living proof, and every state is, in fact...state v state appeals to everyone in this country...

Based on your last line I think we're making the same point?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back