How much does your emotional investment in a game affect your enjoyment of it?

Remove this Banner Ad

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
I know many factors come into play, but it would be fair to say games where you really care about the result, who wins, are all things equal more exciting than games where you don't. I think we generally like to see exciting contests, but they'd be made moreso if we were strongly barracking for one team. Obviously, any game our team is playing in would fit under that category, but even as 'neutrals' we're often far from neutral, and would strongly prefer one team to win for various reasons.

Maybe it's easier to phrase it this way: would you say you find games where you don't really care about the result much less interesting? I would say I do unless it's a really good match up, but even then, really going for one team makes it more exciting. How important is that emotional aspect for you? Or can you enjoy the game as a contest or display of skill etc just as much? Maybe I'm stating the obvious but wondering about the extent of it's importance to footy fans.

On the flipside I often find the stress of caring too much about the result can make Eagles games a bit less enjoyable, whereas as a so called neutral you can relax a bit more and just enjoy it.

Also, how often would you say you're barracking for one team when watching a game where your team isn't playing, where the result doesn't affect your team's position or prospects?

I'd say I usually favour one team, to varying degrees, so am rarely fully neutral. It makes the game more enjoyable even it might be a crap or boring game.

An additional question, do you sometimes barrack for a team that is not your own as hard or almost as hard?

I'd say I almost did for the Saints during the 2009 and 2010 GF, felt sorry for their supporters, but wouldn't be anywhere near as shattered as if the Eagles had lost two close grannies. Like say we lost the 06 GF. And the 2016 GF. Living in Footscray I got swept up in it and it felt like a life or death thing almost. I was at Yarra Park and so many people who supported other teams were cheering for the Dogs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back