How much is too much to charge, to on-sell a Grand Final ticket? (loaded question)

Remove this Banner Ad

Dan Moody

That, was liquid football
Apr 3, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Very close mate of mine has managed to get his hands on a ticket to the game, on sold to him by a current AFL player (a mate of a mate).
Just interested to know what people think is considered too expensive for a ticket to the GF?

Very close mate of mine has managed to get his hands on a ticket to the game, on sold to him by a current AFL player (a mate of a mate).
Just interested to know what people think is considered too expensive for a ticket to the GF?

Anything more than the RRP (Cost price) of the ticket including booking charges.

Too expensive will depend entirely on an individuals financial situation, but most will pay more than they should if its their team in the grand final, and can’t blame them for it.

On the other hand, anyone who sells a ticket above face value and a nominal handling fee is an a-hole.

Last edited:
It's now illegal to sell a ticket to any of the finals and Anzac Day for any more than face value + 10%.

The chance of being prosecuted is probably very low but it has happened with GF tickets before.

It's now illegal to sell a ticket to any of the finals and Anzac Day for any more than face value + 10%.

The chance of being prosecuted is probably very low but it has happened with GF tickets before.

Would player allocations have a face value?

Would player allocations have a face value?

Not sure. There are "complimentary" tickets out there with no price on them. But if a category 1 ticket is say $400, there's your figure.

The thing is the AFL itself sells tickets as part of a package for $2000, of course, so you can also argue that is face value if you sell the whole package.

Usually there are ads around in the papers advising not to scalp. Haven't seen any this year which is odd since it's the first year all finals were declared events. Previously it was just the GF.

Loads of finals tickets were pulled off eBay. This is the reason that only 95k came to the MCG prelim. 2.5k of the empty seats were MCC members, 2.5K were AFL members. That's about 10% of the AFL members tickets sold, not showing up, which is a massive amount. These tickets were not purchased by die-hard fans. They're the scalpers.

So a current AFL player charging $1500 for his free ticket is pretty excessive then?
Absolute dog act. The person should go to the media about it and get the money to cover the ticket. Player will be s**t on by media

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing is the AFL itself sells tickets as part of a package for $2000, of course, so you can also argue that is face value if you sell the whole package.

So a professional scalper who has got their hands on lots of tickets could technically hire out a private room at a pub near the ground, put on a pregame spread, then charge whatever they want for the ticket + pregame package?

Not condoning that behaviour, just looking for the loopholes

Not sure. There are "complimentary" tickets out there with no price on them. But if a category 1 ticket is say $400, there's your figure.

Usually there are ads around in the papers advising not to scalp. Haven't seen any this year which is odd since it's the first year all finals were declared events. Previously it was just the GF.

Loads of finals tickets were pulled off eBay. This is the reason that only 95k came to the MCG prelim. 2.5k of the empty seats were MCC members, 2.5K were AFL members. That's about 10% of the AFL members tickets sold, not showing up, which is a massive amount. These tickets were not purchased by die-hard fans. They're the scalpers.

Can people stop accusing AFL members of being scalpers.

I was at the Prelim on Friday night-- there was more gaps in the seats of the General Reserve area (particularly Level 4 of the Punt Road End) than anywhere in the AFL Reserve-- stop building up this myth, there was not 2.5k empty seats in the AFL members.

Sell it for $2000 at the ground on the Saturday morning. It’s Collingwood.
There will be people desperate to get in and they will bring cash, chopper, cash.

#### the moral high ground. It’s a grand final. The chance to witness history.

..and the market dictates the price willing to pay.

Sell it for $2000 at the ground on the Saturday morning. It’s Collingwood.
There will be people desperate to get in and they will bring cash, chopper, cash.

#### the moral high ground. It’s a grand final. The chance to witness history.

..and the market dictates the price willing to pay.

This year there hasn’t really been the hype around Collingwood making it. Not like we would have had in 1990. Or 2010. Or Richmond had last year.

I reckon I’m like many, I feel like I’m in a dream waiting to wake up and find out if Collingwood made the finals so Buckley can keep his job.

There were more gaps in the MCC than in a Collingwood supporter's employment history!
iu

Remove this Banner Ad

Back