How much of a difference would Dal Santo and Boomer have made

Remove this Banner Ad

We just need some of those KPP boys to step up now. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me to see us grab another reasonably priced mid/late aged KPF at the end of this season.
I've been thinking this lately too. Brown is Brown but he needs back up. And who do we have?
  • Wood - is just that tad undersized to play a true key role. Is an awesome third tall though.
  • Daw - seems to be seriously out of vogue and is probably best played as a ruck utility. Looks like he might be traded out.
  • Waite - in his last year.
  • Goldstein/Preuss - both have good forward games (Goldstein's smarts and skills and Preuss's immovability and marking) as resting rucks but that is it.
  • Durdin - was a forward, now a back.
  • McKay and Larkey - too raw to hold down a spot for 2018 possibly.
I can't think of who they may be but it seems more and more a growing need.

Going with my above post we probably would have won more games with Petrie in the side over Dal or Harvey (or Firrito or Wells for that matter). How's that for a hot take?

Going with my above post we probably would have won more games with Petrie in the side over Dal or Harvey (or Firrito or Wells for that matter). How's that for a hot take?

Agree with that - although I'd say only with Waite and Daw out injured. If he'd been there in addition to Waite it changes the complexion again and I think we'd have been exposed again... we also wouldn't have seen Preuss play. No if's or but's.

I've been thinking this lately too. Brown is Brown but he needs back up. And who do we have?
  • Wood - is just that tad undersized to play a true key role. Is an awesome third tall though.
  • Daw - seems to be seriously out of vogue and is probably best played as a ruck utility. Looks like he might be traded out.
  • Goldstein/Preuss - both have good forward games (Goldstein's smarts and skills and Preuss's immovability and marking) as resting rucks but that is it.

I thought this year was Waite's last but if we can't pickup a mature forward and don't get Daw on the park we'd have to consider keeping him around again on base plus match payments. Obviously assuming he's fit again.

Wood - is just that tad undersized to play a true key role. Is an awesome third tall though.

Wood is magnificently suited to the 3rd marking forward role a la Craig Scholl.
Daw - seems to be seriously out of vogue and is probably best played as a ruck utility. Looks like he might be traded out.

I hope I am wrong but my gut feeling is that Majak is not going to make it.
Waite - in his last year.

Yep, he's just about done. Great player, but gets injured tripping over on blades of grass.
Goldstein/Preuss - both have good forward games (Goldstein's smarts and skills and Preuss's immovability and marking) as resting rucks but that is it.

I think the forward/ruck role type players need to firstly be forwards that can ruck a bit. These blokes are straight up rucks.
Durdin - was a forward, now a back.

He was a defender as a junior and I reckon he is earmarked for Lachies spot down the track.
McKay and Larkey - too raw to hold down a spot for 2018 possibly.

I like what I have seen from McKay, but he is going to take another 18 to 24 months and plays as a goal square full forward. He could eventually work with Browny as Ben plays the hit up CHF role very well. I have heard big wraps about Larkey, but I haven't seen enough of him to form an opinion. I agree that they are both at least 2018 or even 2019 players.

Try and get schache from brisbane.

I fear for daw. Optimistic still but he can never stay injury free. Same goes with Waite. As a stop gap we could bring durdin/nielson in and olay hansen forward. Not ideal but better than leaving brown to get triple teamed every week or larkey/mckay to get manhandled.

Alternatively we could change our attacking approach. Instead of bombing it in lon (sorry i can't even finish that sentence) :'(

Try and get schache from brisbane.

I fear for daw. Optimistic still but he can never stay injury free. Same goes with Waite. As a stop gap we could bring durdin/nielson in and olay hansen forward. Not ideal but better than leaving brown to get triple teamed every week or larkey/mckay to get manhandled.

Alternatively we could change our attacking approach. Instead of bombing it in lon (sorry i can't even finish that sentence) :'(

I find all the speculation about Schache strange. He was desperate to get to the Lions Because of the connection with his deceased father. Even remember a story about him visiting his dads grave to say he wants to finish what he started. Something must have gone very wrong for him to want to leave.

Wood is magnificently suited to the 3rd marking forward role a la Craig Scholl.

I hope I am wrong but my gut feeling is that Majak is not going to make it.

Yep, he's just about done. Great player, but gets injured tripping over on blades of grass.

I think the forward/ruck role type players need to firstly be forwards that can ruck a bit. These blokes are straight up rucks.

He was a defender as a junior and I reckon he is earmarked for Lachies spot down the track.

I like what I have seen from McKay, but he is going to take another 18 to 24 months and plays as a goal square full forward. He could eventually work with Browny as Ben plays the hit up CHF role very well. I have heard big wraps about Larkey, but I haven't seen enough of him to form an opinion. I agree that they are both at least 2018 or even 2019 players.

In regards to Daw, the bloke needs an extended run of 10+ games this year. He's going to be on the books for another 3 years, so we need a decent look at him.

He's had no luck with injuries. I'm backing him in. Just needs a decent chance

I find all the speculation about Schache strange. He was desperate to get to the Lions Because of the connection with his deceased father. Even remember a story about him visiting his dads grave to say he wants to finish what he started. Something must have gone very wrong for him to want to leave.
I don't know about his personal situation but i do know about their playing groups issues. The way their change room politics were described to me...

Of course that could have all changed this year but i was told there was all kinds of separation amongst the playing group and coaches (not just the rocky stuff). I think that sort of playing environment could cause young players to become disillusioned. Maybe that has played a part?!

Yeah... nah.

We can all be Chairman of selectors for last week's team.

Dal was done.

I could easily find a spot for Boomer, but when you get selected the most times ever, you can never claim to be hard done by. In the last crucial minutes against Freo and Geelong, Boomer wouldn't have contrubuted more to organising our defence, or, provided any extra defensive pressure acts than the blokes we picked.

Waite, Higgins, Jacobs and Wood have missed games... now that DID cost us....

Irrelevant thread is irrelevant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is why I mentioned Sam Reid in the Trade thread. If we have a bit of coin left depending on prospective trade targets saying no he's a free agent so we may look at bumping up his wage and getting him for free.

This is why I mentioned Sam Reid in the Trade thread. If we have a bit of coin left depending on prospective trade targets saying no he's a free agent so we may look at bumping up his wage and getting him for free.
Perfect target. I've been critical of him in the past. Thought he was a bit flaky/conditional and obviously has had injury concerns but is playing some very good football at the moment. Would work well with Brown.

Yeah t'was - half volley outside off :)

BRYPrswQ5Yz3nV0XqypapoUGuIHNK246vYW1Kgmlp9EEg83NBHK12LMWJZIQwf-fEO2bGwuMnHIhsAD5I4nZk2KaEMSOko5dgA=w320-h180-nc

Spot on with Wood!

Daw- does seem that way, his pressure and the concern the opp have when he's within striking distance of the ball is extremely undervalued imo

Waite- should never play again 0-5 pointless

Goldy/ Preuss only need one - move on the other. Both can be ok floating forward ,as true KPF's no chance.

Durdin- Looks likely which is miles ahead of where he was 12 months ago

The McLarkey's - correct ,both look to have bright futures

Brown is a hit up fwd will never out muscle anyone. I would like to see Brown, Wood and Daw with Preuss rucking........ can almost guarantee we would not be worse of than we are currently :)

In all seriousness we got rid of the wrong senior players. We are stocked for inside midfielders, so the cull should have came from that division. There also should have been an emphasis on those that can kick the footy instead of keeping blokes on the list that turn it over.

Gibson, Swallow and Thomas would have been the better delistings. They offer nothing moving forward. Especially because they can't kick. If we aren't getting games into young guys ahead of them, we'd be better served by having 2 club legends and a skilled (albeit soft) outside runner in their place.

Keep Dal, wells and Boomer. Boomer to play as a forward, wells and Dal as outside mids. Our team would be a 5 goal better side and we wouldn't have to put up with the mediocre crap that has been served up by the other 3 mentioned above.

Yes would have made difference to win a few games if boomer was with us. Dal was well and truly cooked. Would be no closer to winning a flag. Need to regenerate list over next two years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back