Analysis How much of an impact does no Dylan Shiel in Rnd 1 really have?

Danny88

Club Legend
AFL Club
GWS
Thread starter #1
Of course the big story in the off season was Dylan Shiel leaving. This will be highlighted when we see him line up against us in a few weeks for the bombers. So how much do we actually lose and how can we cover that loss?

Lets dig a little into the stats

- Shiel averaged 25.9 disposals last year with a good spread of inside and outside midfield time. His average of 4.7 I50's per game is a significant loss for us, as is his 4.5 clearances per game. His tackling numbers are reasonable (3.4 per game) and bely some of the ciriticisms we have had of his defensive game over the years. No doubt, his biggest asset is his ability to use pace out of a stoppage and we will certainly miss that rare trait.

But lets look a little deeper into what is actually walking out the door here. I for one was constantly annoyed at his propensity to bomb it in to get the I50 stat. Often he is under pressure no doubt, however his I50 entrances were rarely pinpoint and often left attacking players camped under a high ball. I won't miss watching that.

Hi 6 goal return last year (14 behinds) was poor- certainly his accuracy in front of the big sticks wont be missed.

Lastly, his clanger count is too high for a player who spent so much of his time as an outside midfielder in 2018. An amazing 86 clangers in 2018 meant almost 4 of his 26 average possessions a game were clangers. He also turned the ball over a lot. Of his 595 disposals he turned the ball over 104 times to the opposition.

Yes we lose a big name.... but does it really hurt us going forward? Can the positives of his stat count be covered by a young player in 2019?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isaac Cumming No 1

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
GWS
For me of course it hurts us. He's a great player and his burst from stoppages isn't replaceable.

We'll cope though. More important than talent is the steel and backbone the team showed in the SF last year. The return if Zac who does pop up in odd places, and the maturing of Whitfield Taranto and Kelly should compensate.

I think stats about his clanger coout are a bit simplistic. He spent a lot of time in the back 50 cleaning up loose balls. That is just roosting out of danger sometimes.

I think his impact will be bigger by round 10 at Marvel. He did look a bit at sea predicting his teammates running patterns in the JLT. That should sort itself out in time.

Danny88

Club Legend
AFL Club
GWS
Thread starter #3
For me of course it hurts us. He's a great player and his burst from stoppages isn't replaceable.

We'll cope though. More important than talent is the steel and backbone the team showed in the SF last year. The return if Zac who does pop up in odd places, and the maturing of Whitfield Taranto and Kelly should compensate.

I think stats about his clanger coout are a bit simplistic. He spent a lot of time in the back 50 cleaning up loose balls. That is just roosting out of danger sometimes.

I think his impact will be bigger by round 10 at Marvel. He did look a bit at sea predicting his teammates running patterns in the JLT. That should sort itself out in time.
I think there is also a younger body that will come in to make up those stats (maybe Bonar) as well.

Interesting point you make about the hoofing the ball out of defence. Of course that stat lacks context but I used to cringe at his disposal sometimes.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
GWS
I think there is also a younger body that will come in to make up those stats (maybe Bonar) as well.

Interesting point you make about the hoofing the ball out of defence. Of course that stat lacks context but I used to cringe at his disposal sometimes.
I do see him miss a target at times by foot. It's really noticeable when he does, but not that common as I see it. . I think the ability to kick straight after a run is pretty unusual. WHE had it. Watching him run the ball from the wing and goal from the 50 m line was beautiful to watch.

Orange Agent

Premiership Player
AFL Club
GWS
Thought he was at his most damaging when teamed with Treloar in the middle. The one/two, gut runners who could carry it the length of the field. I think we have capable replacements but in a different type of player.

Top Bottom