Analysis How much of an impact does no Dylan Shiel in Rnd 1 really have?

Remove this Banner Ad

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Of course the big story in the off season was Dylan Shiel leaving. This will be highlighted when we see him line up against us in a few weeks for the bombers. So how much do we actually lose and how can we cover that loss?

Lets dig a little into the stats

- Shiel averaged 25.9 disposals last year with a good spread of inside and outside midfield time. His average of 4.7 I50's per game is a significant loss for us, as is his 4.5 clearances per game. His tackling numbers are reasonable (3.4 per game) and bely some of the ciriticisms we have had of his defensive game over the years. No doubt, his biggest asset is his ability to use pace out of a stoppage and we will certainly miss that rare trait.

But lets look a little deeper into what is actually walking out the door here. I for one was constantly annoyed at his propensity to bomb it in to get the I50 stat. Often he is under pressure no doubt, however his I50 entrances were rarely pinpoint and often left attacking players camped under a high ball. I won't miss watching that.

Hi 6 goal return last year (14 behinds) was poor- certainly his accuracy in front of the big sticks wont be missed.

Lastly, his clanger count is too high for a player who spent so much of his time as an outside midfielder in 2018. An amazing 86 clangers in 2018 meant almost 4 of his 26 average possessions a game were clangers. He also turned the ball over a lot. Of his 595 disposals he turned the ball over 104 times to the opposition.

Yes we lose a big name.... but does it really hurt us going forward? Can the positives of his stat count be covered by a young player in 2019?

For me of course it hurts us. He's a great player and his burst from stoppages isn't replaceable.

We'll cope though. More important than talent is the steel and backbone the team showed in the SF last year. The return if Zac who does pop up in odd places, and the maturing of Whitfield Taranto and Kelly should compensate.

I think stats about his clanger coout are a bit simplistic. He spent a lot of time in the back 50 cleaning up loose balls. That is just roosting out of danger sometimes.

I think his impact will be bigger by round 10 at Marvel. He did look a bit at sea predicting his teammates running patterns in the JLT. That should sort itself out in time.

For me of course it hurts us. He's a great player and his burst from stoppages isn't replaceable.

We'll cope though. More important than talent is the steel and backbone the team showed in the SF last year. The return if Zac who does pop up in odd places, and the maturing of Whitfield Taranto and Kelly should compensate.

I think stats about his clanger coout are a bit simplistic. He spent a lot of time in the back 50 cleaning up loose balls. That is just roosting out of danger sometimes.

I think his impact will be bigger by round 10 at Marvel. He did look a bit at sea predicting his teammates running patterns in the JLT. That should sort itself out in time.
I think there is also a younger body that will come in to make up those stats (maybe Bonar) as well.

Interesting point you make about the hoofing the ball out of defence. Of course that stat lacks context but I used to cringe at his disposal sometimes.

I think there is also a younger body that will come in to make up those stats (maybe Bonar) as well.

Interesting point you make about the hoofing the ball out of defence. Of course that stat lacks context but I used to cringe at his disposal sometimes.
I do see him miss a target at times by foot. It's really noticeable when he does, but not that common as I see it. . I think the ability to kick straight after a run is pretty unusual. WHE had it. Watching him run the ball from the wing and goal from the 50 m line was beautiful to watch.

He’s a great player. We will miss him for sure. Just hope we get lucky and he doesn’t go too well in game 1.

Thought right time to bump this 1 up ;)

How much of an impact does no Dylan Shiel in Rnd 1 really have? None :p

We have Cogs, Tim the Tank, Hopper, rested Kelly, Ward out and so on

Shiel yes gun runner through packs etc etc but disposals are poor, yesterday 56% (DE) likewise for Devon
His stats yesterday for efficiency is pretty much on par with last year. Therefore he is a butcher 55% of the time but good for the women. Not for the team.

All the best, thanks but.....

Welcome to the "Graveyard" aka GIANTS Stadium Shiel

He was there, dont think he went missing as such. But when he was getting the odd clearance he just as very poor delivery into the forwards and our backs were capitalising. Common theme with his career, yeah he can break the line but then if he doesn't hit the target it just ends up back over his head. Then to make it worse when they have key forwards out it is defiantly going to be rebounded :thumbsu:

We saw the same Shiel if he got more midfield time - able to get the ball, get the clearance, but then just bomb it forward and often to his target's disadvantage. If Essendon improved their structure to get someone like Zaharakis just ahead of the contest and mandated Shiel offload to him via handball, he'd look a lot lot better.

We saw the same Shiel if he got more midfield time - able to get the ball, get the clearance, but then just bomb it forward and often to his target's disadvantage. If Essendon improved their structure to get someone like Zaharakis just ahead of the contest and mandated Shiel offload to him via handball, he'd look a lot lot better.
Essendon were looking pretty good until their latest recruit on big money Shiel butchered it twice up forward.

Last edited:
Two rounds in Im not seeing his absence as a real detractor of performance ...yet. We have won both midfield battles and clearances were what I was worried about. Granted (like last week) we still have a tendency to butch the ball going forward so maybe thats an US thing not a HIM thing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two rounds in Im not seeing his absence as a real detractor of performance ...yet. We have won both midfield battles and clearances were what I was worried about. Granted (like last week) we still have a tendency to butch the ball going forward so maybe thats an US thing not a HIM thing

Once we hit the Canberra games at full strength without him we will dominate ;)

Cogs, Taranto, Ward, Kelly, Hopper, Whitfield, etc etc

Then add Zac in the FWD's with Greene we will be looking pretty good

Dyl the butcher can enjoy the Bombers Hangar

To add the icing on the cake with having no impact that he has gone. Essendon has been lacking leadership players, here's a player signed on 1mil on long term deal, that rejected leadership responsibilities at the Giants and didnt want part of it and known in the media for it.

Doesnt even step up and try help with the pressure on Heppell at the moment

Where as Cogs, Ward, Taranto, Kelly thrive off being leaders within the club.

Hats off to the Bombers for getting a win

However......

Shiel 31 disposals which sounds great but.... 51.6 DE%, 5 CLG, and only did 1 x 1%er

8 inside 50's but cant hit the target

Again well done Bombers but GWS its all good ;) Our mids still come out on top :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back