How much support is/was there for the Melbourne FC?

Remove this Banner Ad

If we had of won 2 GFs in the last 50 years we'd have a membership of 16 gazillion
Pretty much. 64... if we'd won another between 75-85 and another in the naughties our supporter base wouldn't have shrunk because there wouldn't be these entire generations of people with no memory of premiership/successful MFC. Although, to be fair we were there abouts for a very very big stretch from the late 80s to 2006.

I wonder if Melbourne can be catapulted up into one of the big Melbourne clubs if they have a dynasty?

I wonder if Melbourne can be catapulted up into one of the big Melbourne clubs if they have a dynasty?

If we can win another flag or so and play constant finals I have no doubt that our membership base will grow.

What hurt us was a long period of no success, growing up there weren't many Melbourne supporters in my primary/high school most kids went for Essendon, Carlton, Richmond or Collingwood and I have no doubt that was based off those teams having some sort of success.

Dont think well ever be a club that draws massive crowds considering we have sucked ass for the past decade and a bit, not many kids coming thru who support Melbourne id imagine, wont probably be til 2027-2030 til a new wave of Melbourne fans come thru. Id imagine our supporters age demographic who attend games is still very much weighted to 35 years old +

Roy Morgan releases a yearly 'supporter ladder'. It's robust - huge sample size and weighted to be reflective of Australians 14+.

We're consistently in the bottom five clubs for number of supporters. That will always make it tough to be come a truly "big club". But in our favour is membership conversion. If we take our 60,000 memberships this year, that's a 20% conversion from support to member - the best in the AFL.

Think we need 8-10 years of being in contention or in the finals to build on the momentum of winning a flag and capture a new generation of kids to support Melbourne. There's always going to be family connections but if we want to expand our numbers beyond that we need to capture kids from non-Melbourne supporting families.

Roy Morgan releases a yearly 'supporter ladder'. It's robust - huge sample size and weighted to be reflective of Australians 14+.

We're consistently in the bottom five clubs for number of supporters. That will always make it tough to be come a truly "big club". But in our favour is membership conversion. If we take our 60,000 memberships this year, that's a 20% conversion from support to member - the best in the AFL.

That's a double edged sword. Means we have loyal supporters but not a lot of room for immdediate growth.

Think we need 8-10 years of being in contention or in the finals to build on the momentum of winning a flag and capture a new generation of kids to support Melbourne. There's always going to be family connections but if we want to expand our numbers beyond that we need to capture kids from non-Melbourne supporting families.
Also i think the family connection tradition dies out with aged supporters. So lack of success leaves a huge hole, in the traditions of support base.

Sydney listed as the largest supporter group and Brisbane having the fourth highest stick out a bit.

For most AFL history those two teams have been the only clubs in their state, so casual fans from there would probably nominate the swans or bears without being particularly genuine supporters IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sydney listed as the largest supporter group and Brisbane having the fourth highest stick out a bit.

For most AFL history those two teams have been the only clubs in their state, so casual fans from there would probably nominate the swans or bears without being particularly genuine supporters IMO.
Pretty sure these polls is literally walking up to randos asking who they support in AFL. Bloke says Sydney when he's from Sydney but has never even seen a game..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back