How often do you buy a new or different car?

Remove this Banner Ad

cars are a waste of money.

I've bought a few cars but generally get given a car as a thank you
You must be very good at something

First car I had for 18 months.
Second 5 years
Third 5 years
Fourth 5 years
This one I've had since 2010.

While we're on the topic. I'm looking for a new car. Want to feck off the 6 cylinder for a 4 cylinder sedan. Best options ?

Small or large?

If the former, Corollas and Lancers are absolutely bombproof. Service them and they go forever (relatively).

If larger I guess a Camry, or an Accord for more $$. Boring as batshit but reliable and reasonably well appointed.

I'm thinking Lancer. they look nice as well.
Wife has a lancer going on 6 years old. CVT takes a bit of getting used to if you've never had one but what you get for the price is pretty good.

That said I still prefer my older Mazda 3 to drive (manual) but they cost more to buy and prob service, running costs are less though

Wife has a lancer going on 6 years old. CVT takes a bit of getting used to if you've never had one but what you get for the price is pretty good.

That said I still prefer my older Mazda 3 to drive (manual) but they cost more to buy and prob service, running costs are less though

Just having a look I think Lancers are very affordable. Sport Models look quite nice and for around $14,000 you can pick up one with low Km's.

Just having a look I think Lancers are very affordable. Sport Models look quite nice and for around $14,000 you can pick up one with low Km's.
Yeah they are cheaper up front and they drop off a bit quicker than the Mazda

It's a solid car we've had no issues with it, like I said the value is there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have a 14 Model. It's my Bae. One car to steer clear is the holden cruze. Sisters transmission seized and mechanic said they're duds.
Yep. Friend had a Cruze, well a few of them because the first was that much of a lemon the dealer gave in after the thing s**t itself for the 5th time & gave them a replacement (only for that to also have problem after problem).

Wouldn't go near a Cruze no matter how great value they seem.

What are peoples thoughts on smaller 4WD type SUVs? Sort of RAV4 size?

Getting older and wouldn't mind being above everyone in traffic and may be easier to get in/out of than a low sedan.

Not for offroad at all. And not a huge 4wd either.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

They can be a little boring. They're not bad in terms that they have space and are economical. I have a Jeep Patriot that has been serving me well. Rav4's and Subarus are good options.

My missus has a '16 Mazda 3 hatch. It's pretty big for a 'small' car and great to drive. I think you can get 3-4 year old ones for around 15k, I'd look there. I have an Audi A4 4 cyl and it's also really good but you're looking at something 7-8 years old for 15k

My missus has a '16 Mazda 3 hatch. It's pretty big for a 'small' car and great to drive. I think you can get 3-4 year old ones for around 15k, I'd look there. I have an Audi A4 4 cyl and it's also really good but you're looking at something 7-8 years old for 15k
Dimensions on your modern small car aren't far off an old commodore these days

We find our lancer big enough for trips, but we only have one kid, if we were wanting to tow a van or have a second kid we might need an upgrade but there is a reason cars like the Mazda 2 came out to give people a smaller option

Been driving 5 years this year.. started with a Telstar that had a blown head gasket, ended up bush bashing that until it stopped, then got a 07 Lancer, sold that and got a Subaru, sold that and got an R33 Skyline, sold that and got an R32 Skyline, decided to invest thousands into that and do an engine swap, bought a new daily that was a Mazda 323 for $300 with 6 months rego - best car ever, just couldn’t kill it and I sold that to a mate, and now I’ve got a Skyline with an engine swap that owes me plenty and a 2012 Navara. So I’ve had 7 cars in 5 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back