How Often Do you Reminisce?

Remove this Banner Ad

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Reminisce (verb) indulge in enjoyable recollection of past events.

I can't believe 2012 was seven years ago.

Earlier tonight I posted on the North board with regards to our win over Geelong that year.

I remember where I was, what I was doing, how I celebrated that win, what happened next (quite a story).

nek minnit YouTube is recommending all of these songs from 2012. They take me back to another time...

tl;dr How often do you get drunk and reminisce about the good ol' days?

P.S. Those days weren't even that good. I was a mess back then. Things are much better now (except for being older and uglier, which is inesacapable). But it is nice to imagine that those were good days.

Over to you, bigfooty :thumbsu:

Last edited:

Tho, to be fair, or, exact....I'm constantly reminiscing about the millions of women I've had :moustache:

Let's not get confused between reminiscing and fantasising.

I used to be obsessed with nostalgia, to the point where I'd do it about the present – go out, do this – all as a way to make sure I'd look back on it.

I go through phases now but I'm far less introspective than I used to be. In a weird way, you get older and just want to make the days count, not count the old ones.

I've been reading the old AFS lately and I find it pretty crazy that 2011, 2012 was that long ago and it's only the years that have massively changed. I too remember games from back then and can remember them more vividly than ones last week, which may come down to Freo and Ross Lyon but... I remember how people dressed, where people went out, the songs that played, all that s**t.

Last edited:
Reminisce (verb) indulge in enjoyable recollection of past events.

I can't believe 2012 was seven years ago.

Earlier tonight I posted on the North board with regards to our win over Geelong that year.

I remember where I was, what I was doing, how I celebrated that win, what happened next (quite a story).

Then nek minnint YouTube is recommending all of these songs from 2012. They take me back to another time...

tl;dr How often do you get drunk and reminisce about the good ol' days?

P.S. Those days weren't even that good. I was a mess back then. Things are much better now (except for being older and uglier, which is inesacapable). But it is nice to imagine that those were good days.

Over to you, bigfooty :thumbsu:
Tell the story.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I too reminisce when there are triggers.

Like old mate's footy example above I relate footy to other aspects of life.

Someone mentioned to me this morning that WC have a game coming up at Kardinia Park and that they were going to go but can't. I went there once, in 2014. Happened to be in Melbourne so made the trek down. Don't know why people hate on it, seemed a nice enough ground. We kicked 4.1 in the first quarter to their 4.3. Great, I thought. The one time I find myself in Geelong we're actually going to put in a decent effort. Wrong, we kicked 0.7 for the rest of the game and lost by 12 goals. NicNat went off injured. Don't really remember much about the game other than losing comfortably. Ah well, at least I got a home made ANZAC biscuit from Will Schofield's family sitting near us. That was 5 years ago.

Got me thinking about WC playing there. Last win was the famous comeback in 2006. Haven't got within 6 goals since. I remember that day, I was still at uni and working at a supermarket and popped home for lunch and saw the second half. That was 13 years ago. I probably worked 40 or 50 Saturdays that year, I don't particularly remember any of the others.

WC played at KP in 2007, 2008, 2010, 2014 and 2016. Other than the game I went to I couldn't tell you anything about the others other than we lost. But I vividly remember the 135 point loss at Subiaco in 2008 and Will Schofield (second mention, good work Schoey) diving to smother a certain goal when we were already down by 100 and it meant nothing. Vibe in the crowd was like nothing I had experienced at Subi before. People were kind of in awe of the gulf between the two teams at that point. 38,000 people there which is pretty full for Subi and by the time the game finished I doubt there were 20,000 left. So empty, so calm. No 'bloody Fletcher' or 'why didn't they man up Ablett??' from disgruntled punters, just a sense of 'well, that happened' from everyone. That was 11 years ago. I think at that time I'd been overseas only once or twice as an adult. Have been 9 or 10 times since.

Not actively. I seldom have time to sit around and specifically reminisce, always occupied in some way. Memories bombard me randomly like gatecrashers, I'll be having a nice pleasant party with the present and then all these old yahoos start rocking up. I think one's relation to all this does change through the years (I'm in my early 30s now).

It has its purpose in relaying memories, keeping them flickering. Seldom I remember something decades ago from childhood nowadays that I haven't previously reminisced at some point. There comes a point where you need to refuel them and give them a spin otherwise they slip away. But my memory is fairly rigorous, so I don't feel as if I'm in need of reminiscing as much as a lot of other people I know. I'm more of a mediator for people who are clumsily reminiscing about something, helping situate some random memory they've had.

In my mid 20s I could probably still put a name and face to most people I had ever met a couple of times, and recall a vast amount of the conversations I'd had. But a couple years later you start to feel the weight of time on memory, scores of people you might have been acquainted with 20 years ago start to grey a little, get abducted when you're not looking. Moments of guilt or embarrassment are as memorable as anything for me. A few times a week I'll have one of those "ugh" shudders at something I said or did at some point in time.

My favourite memories are the spatial ones. Being able to walk around every house, school, workplace, etc. that you've ever frequented, having memories for different rooms, maybe points on a jogging route, places on highways, etc. I like to feel like I am correctly roaming about my memories, still have my bearings. A former residence collapsing and fragmenting would be a massive loss in that regard, you'd feel a desire to physically visit and reconstruct it.

There might be something else to the "don't trust anyone over 30" phrase. By that point your childhood is almost a different person whose memories you've largely inherited second-hand. The cells that were present then might be generations ago.

Last edited:
smells are killers.

I smell a smell and back in time i go
Music for me. Listening to a song or album takes me back to the points in time when I regularly listened to it. For some music, this includes multiple phases of your life, like investing memories into the music. I guess music is a way of reminiscing for me, and partly explains the craving to seek out music you haven't heard previously so as to preserve something.

Music for me. Listening to a song or album takes me back to the points in time when I regularly listened to it. For some music, this includes multiple phases of your life, like investing memories into the music. I guess music is a way of reminiscing for me, and partly explains the craving to seek out music you haven't heard previously so as to preserve something.
Yeah, both are like that.

Smell gets a bigger reminisce from me, but Music is nearly as strong.

Like a cold Friday night in Melbourne and me listening to Avalanches - Since I left you...that combination man brings me back to good times

I reminisce fairly regularly about my teenage years - how easy they were. During school holidays when mum was at work, I'd have the whole house to myself for 8 hours a day, five days a week. I used to be a slovenly couch potato if cricket was on, or I'd be on the computer watching YouTube, playing those sim cricket games, or posting on forums. I used to just walk around the neighbourhood and go to shops occasionally. I had one mate from school who lived close so I'd catch up with him maybe once a week or fortnight. I miss those simpler times when I had no responsibility.

I reminisce fairly regularly about my teenage years - how easy they were. During school holidays when mum was at work, I'd have the whole house to myself for 8 hours a day, five days a week. I used to be a slovenly couch potato if cricket was on, or I'd be on the computer watching YouTube, playing those sim cricket games, or posting on forums. I used to just walk around the neighbourhood and go to shops occasionally. I had one mate from school who lived close so I'd catch up with him maybe once a week or fortnight. I miss those simpler times when I had no responsibility.
When i was a teenager, there was no youtube or forums (that i knew of)

Dialling into the modem after school to download a song at 3.5kb/s...waiting an hour. Ahhh those were the days

I find music can be a trigger, but often has no effect at all. I can listen to songs from my childhood or teenage years etc. and have very different responses.

Year 11/12 for me was 2000 & 2001. I've listened to the Hottest 100 countdowns on Apple Music from 1993 all the way through. If I hear Californication it doesn't automatically take me back to 2000 and buying that CD, listening to it on my Discman on the bus etc. because I've heard it on the radio every year since. But if I hear Rip it Up by 28 Days or Not the Same by Bodyjar I immediately think of small stages at the Big Day Out around that time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back