How Often Do you Reminisce?

Remove this Banner Ad

As I get older I feel like I take in smells a lot more.

Obvious ones always reminded me of things, but recently I’ve had a whiff and remembered something minutely specific that I haven’t thought of for years. And it can be completely insignificant things. Unreal.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

When i was a teenager, there was no youtube or forums (that i knew of)

Dialling into the modem after school to download a song at 3.5kb/s...waiting an hour. Ahhh those were the days
LimeWire and WinMX (?) music were my go-to download tools. Also converting a YouTube video to an audio file if there was a particularly hard to find song

I too reminisce when there are triggers.

Like old mate's footy example above I relate footy to other aspects of life.

Someone mentioned to me this morning that WC have a game coming up at Kardinia Park and that they were going to go but can't. I went there once, in 2014. Happened to be in Melbourne so made the trek down. Don't know why people hate on it, seemed a nice enough ground. We kicked 4.1 in the first quarter to their 4.3. Great, I thought. The one time I find myself in Geelong we're actually going to put in a decent effort. Wrong, we kicked 0.7 for the rest of the game and lost by 12 goals. NicNat went off injured. Don't really remember much about the game other than losing comfortably. Ah well, at least I got a home made ANZAC biscuit from Will Schofield's family sitting near us. That was 5 years ago.

Got me thinking about WC playing there. Last win was the famous comeback in 2006. Haven't got within 6 goals since. I remember that day, I was still at uni and working at a supermarket and popped home for lunch and saw the second half. That was 13 years ago. I probably worked 40 or 50 Saturdays that year, I don't particularly remember any of the others.

WC played at KP in 2007, 2008, 2010, 2014 and 2016. Other than the game I went to I couldn't tell you anything about the others other than we lost. But I vividly remember the 135 point loss at Subiaco in 2008 and Will Schofield (second mention, good work Schoey) diving to smother a certain goal when we were already down by 100 and it meant nothing. Vibe in the crowd was like nothing I had experienced at Subi before. People were kind of in awe of the gulf between the two teams at that point. 38,000 people there which is pretty full for Subi and by the time the game finished I doubt there were 20,000 left. So empty, so calm. No 'bloody Fletcher' or 'why didn't they man up Ablett??' from disgruntled punters, just a sense of 'well, that happened' from everyone. That was 11 years ago. I think at that time I'd been overseas only once or twice as an adult. Have been 9 or 10 times since.
Mustn’t have attended too many Freo games at Subi then. The are 100 points worse than their opponents on the regular.

I use to do it a lot but once you stop talking or hanging out with certain people i have found your memories slowly disappear if you are not reminded of those memories.

I'm glad I don't do it as much anymore, I probably wasted too much time reminiscing and I purposely don't catch up with certain people anymore because all they do is talk about the past.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LimeWire and WinMX (?) music were my go-to download tools. Also converting a YouTube video to an audio file if there was a particularly hard to find song

Didn't use WinMX but did use FrostWire and Ares Galaxy.

Fun times.

Incredibly, that was 10 years ago.

If you're not looking forward, you're looking back. Without searching I assume that's an Instagram models favourite post.

Reminiscing is cool. trying to re-create those memories is not. If every time you meat up with people is talk about the time you won the under 16's best and fairest or were part of the AIS then it gets a bit sad.

At my age I have a lot more life behind me than in front so yes I do a bit of reminiscing or certain things bring back memories.

1) Smells- Whenever I smell that mix of diesel/rubber/oil it always reminds me of my father (RIP) and my childhood, he was a B Double long haul driver.
2) Pretty young women- Ah what was and could have been.
3) I pick my grandchildren up from school a few days a week, sitting on the oval watching them play after school makes me reminisce about my days at school- I only went to play and eat my lunch, was never an academic.

Kazaa
KazaaLite

Smells - fresh mown grass especially on sports fields take me back to hot days of cricket watching the tractor roll off after we batted the week before in the haystacks

Fuel - Sundays filling up at the only place open

Rain on hot bitumen - big summer storms

Remove this Banner Ad

Back