Travel How old is 'too old' to stay in a backpacker hostel?

Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Thou funny thing about the party scene. Had a night out at the pub last time and the joint was locked. Someone was still in the kitchen (was near the front door) and let me back in. I out partied them.

I hit up most of the bigger party hostels in Central America recently. Never solo (I'd always have a few younger friends to help me blend in). Out partied those younger friends consistently.

Which of course probably made me stand out as 'the creepy old guy in the hostel' more.

revo333

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Europeans and Canadians tended not to give a sh*t. Travelled with Dutchies, Brits, Germans, Swiss, Danes etc and they were fine.

Aussies and Kiwis were the harshest.

Canadians are more laid back then Australians imo, except for the French Canadians who come across as arrogant as anyone.

When I was 30 I stayed in a hostel in Austin Texas, everyone I was hanging out with was 21-25 years old and the only person that gave me an attitude was the only other Aussie male in the group.

Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Canadians are more laid back then Australians imo, except for the French Canadians who come across as arrogant as anyone.

When I was 30 I stayed in a hostel in Austin Texas, everyone I was hanging out with was 21-25 years old and the only person that gave me an attitude was the only other Aussie male in the group.

Mate yes to everything here.

I was 45 and not 30 so amplify your uncomfortableness by a billion. Europeans and Canadians were mostly accepting. Kiwis less so, and Australians (to a person nearly) were utterly hostile.

Made tons of friends from all over the world (Scotts, Swiss, Germans, Dutch, Poms etc) many of whom I traveled with, have met up with since and am still really close to, but the fellow Aussies just treated me like a pariah.

The instant I met my new GF, and we started travelling together, the hostility ended and I could just be a normal person, and not automatically some creepy Toolie.

Thats probably the key. Once you take 'I'm not here to bang younger girls' off the table and turn it into 'I'm really just here for cheap accommodation and a few beers and some card games', you can go back to being treated like an actual person instead of defaulting to some kind of weirdo.

Also ditto on the French Canadians. Have chips on their shoulders like something I have never seen.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Early to mid 30s I reckon.

Stayed in a backpacker-ish place recently (budget lodge or some kind of name like that) because I just wanted a room for 2 nights and it was school holidays and everything was either booked out or a shitload a night for something bigger than I needed. Had a very basic private room with a shower and toilet but the place was mostly dorm style rooms and shared bathrooms with a common kitchen, games room etc. 25 year old me backpacking around Europe for months on end was always keen to find a cheap bed and kitchen/laundry facilities. 35 year old me away for a weekend would rather just go and get a pub feed and have my own space.

Did a week long tour when I was 31 with a bunch of people from 21-31 (mostly at the younger end of that scale) and the tour 'old guy' was 30. I was younger looking and more keen to party than him but didn't advertise that I was actually the oldest person there. Some of the people were cool, some I found myself talking to as though there was a generation gap between us. A lot of this sort of stuff depends on group dynamics. If you are the one 30 or 40 year old among 20 year olds it's more awkward than if there's a mix of different ages. I've travelled with a couple of mates in our 30s and we make our own fun wherever we go whether there are younger, older or no others there to mix with. But I shudder at the prospect of walking into a 12 bed dorm room full of 19 and 20 year olds listening to Ariana Grande.

Schauermann

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 27, 2011
Hamburg
AFL Club
Fremantle
I only stay at a hotel/hostel only for a night of sleep. Don't need luxury at all when travelling. Only no go for me sharing a room with strangers. Like a decent breakfast, but I can go to some other place for that when needed. So I mostly go for the cheapest place in reasonable distance to where I want to go...

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester United, Juventus,
I’m the odd one out by the sounds of it but I’m mid 40’s and have never stayed in a hostel and that despite spending a hell of a lot of time abroad. I don’t know whether that is a good thing or bad thing

Sep 28, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Reading FC
I felt old being in a hostel in my late 20s. Cant imagine what it would be like in your 40s. Personality does play a big part though.

I think attitude would have a lot to do with it. I'm early 30s now but have a long term partner. I'd have no issue staying in a hostel if it were cheap and in a good location and I know I wouldn't be there to bang teenagers...

I must admit I did enjoy being at hostels whilst travelling as an 18 year old, but you do often end up missing out on actually seeing the cities because you are too busy getting drunk and hooking up (still fun though...)

Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Again I tend to agree.

I've been going on long term backpacking trips every 5 or so years, and past 30, you really feel like the invisible man.

Girlfriends help so much though. You can sidestep the perception of 'creepy old single guy' immediately and people are infinitely more accepting.

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
Out partied those younger friends consistently.
On a one off night I could definitely out-party my 18/19/20-year old self now. In fact, I don't even think it would be a contest. I'd just need three days recovery whereas the 20 year old version of me could go for days on end... Now I'd be no match for my 25 to 30 year old self in either the partying (small loss) or the recovery stakes (again, a big loss).

Drinking stamina and tolerance increases greatly through your late teens to the mid 20's (at least that's what I found with myself and everyone I hung out with) which in turn makes for a better night because you don't have to deal with guys completely off their face by 9pm, stupid arguments that * up a night, less problems getting into places etc.

One of the reasons I didn't really rate schoolies, in comparison to say Uni games or backpacking - I found schoolies for the most part was a bunch of teenagers talking about how pissed they were after thirding a case and doing two shots of vodka, or some shite like that.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
On a one off night I could definitely out-party my 18/19/20-year old self now. In fact, I don't even think it would be a contest. I'd just need three days recovery whereas the 20 year old version of me could go for days on end... Now I'd be no match for my 25 to 30 year old self in either the partying (small loss) or the recovery stakes (again, a big loss).

Drinking stamina and tolerance increases greatly through your late teens to the mid 20's (at least that's what I found with myself and everyone I hung out with) which in turn makes for a better night because you don't have to deal with guys completely off their face by 9pm, stupid arguments that fu** up a night, less problems getting into places etc.

One of the reasons I didn't really rate schoolies, in comparison to say Uni games or backpacking - I found schoolies for the most part was a bunch of teenagers talking about how pissed they were after thirding a case and doing two shots of vodka, or some sh*te like that.
It's the one thing I loved about our group, we never got into any arguments or fights - either amongst ourselves or with others. And we're a pretty obnoxious but fun group.

A couple of our group would always get in fights when not with us and with other groups of mates so I guess it was just our vibe and the way we went about it. Loose as * but still respectable and not obtuse dickheads.

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

2006_Eagles

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Spooderman Meme Medal
Sep 6, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Pelicans, Perf Wildcats
I remember when I was 29 I felt pretty old staying at one in Melbz

10 years older now, it would feel pretty terrifying

Actually, I did stay in 'packers for the Granny when I was 36 in 2018 and I felt pretty ok

If you look young you can sort of get away with it

Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
I remember when I was 29 I felt pretty old staying at one in Melbz

10 years older now, it would feel pretty terrifying

Actually, I did stay in 'packers for the Granny when I was 36 in 2018 and I felt pretty ok

If you look young you can sort of get away with it

Yeah - It's deffo not the same in your 30's or 40's as it was in your 20's.

Jul 11, 2005
On the Road to A.G
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
I did a short top deck tour because it was on a massive discount and made it cheaper to get around/accommodation when I was 32.

Everyone in the group was friendly bar 2 Aussies who worked in massively narcissistic industries.

Kiwis were bros, Canadians and South Koreans were darlings, and of the 10 Aussies on this tour 8 were ace.

Its literally the males who, for some reason, were threatened by my fat ass. No surprise they were the ones trying to sleep their way through the bus and maybe worried I would take some girls away from them, despite me being on that tour with my partner.

But then I think having a partner on that tour makes you 98% more approachable.

If I was single and on the trip alone I would expect it to be worse.

Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
I did a short top deck tour because it was on a massive discount and made it cheaper to get around/accommodation when I was 32.

Everyone in the group was friendly bar 2 Aussies who worked in massively narcissistic industries.

Kiwis were bros, Canadians and South Koreans were darlings, and of the 10 Aussies on this tour 8 were ace.

Its literally the males who, for some reason, were threatened by my fat ass. No surprise they were the ones trying to sleep their way through the bus and maybe worried I would take some girls away from them, despite me being on that tour with my partner.

But then I think having a partner on that tour makes you 98% more approachable.

If I was single and on the trip alone I would expect it to be worse.

Try doing it at 45.

But yeah, mirrors my experience. Hostility mainly from fellow Aussies (and to a lesser extent Kiwis and some Brits) which largely goes away as soon as you're there with a partner.

Jul 11, 2005
On the Road to A.G
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
Try doing it at 45.

But yeah, mirrors my experience. Hostility mainly from fellow Aussies (and to a lesser extent Kiwis and some Brits) which largely goes away as soon as you're there with a partner.
Im 35 at the moment and considered a tour of South America pre-covid because I am not familiar with the region and wanted to meet new people. By the time travel returns to normality I think I will be about 40 so I wonder if I would do it.

I used Busabout in EU in 2012 and we had a few 40yr olds on there just using it as a means to get around and chat on the bus, and they stayed at the hostels with us. I think you have to pick your hostels wisely though.

I became friends with a 39 year old and we stayed at a St Christophers in Amsterdam and no one gave a *. Chatted with everyone and her age was never an issue.

But when I was 26 and my brother was 29 we stayed at Clink78 in London and we were treated as if we were in our 50s haha.

Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Im 35 at the moment and considered a tour of South America pre-covid because I am not familiar with the region and wanted to meet new people. By the time travel returns to normality I think I will be about 40 so I wonder if I would do it.

I used Busabout in EU in 2012 and we had a few 40yr olds on there just using it as a means to get around and chat on the bus, and they stayed at the hostels with us. I think you have to pick your hostels wisely though.

Considering doing the same in Europe, but I'll be nearly 50 by the time I get over there (47 later this year).

As long as you avoid the full blown party hostels, it's not too bad.

chunkylover53

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2008
From Where You'd Rather Be
AFL Club
Carlton
I've stayed in nothing but hostels throughout my 20's. My experience with older travellers is that they're fine as long as they're not w***ers. I've had blokes in their 40s be absolute rippers and take the piss out of themselves for being old, just generally aware and of course not creepy.

I've had know-it-alls telling everyone to say "Budapestht" instead of "Budapest" as the locals prefer it that way, as he'd been to Budapest lots of times now (to impress the chiiiicks).

I'm 30 next year and will do a bit of travel. I remember when I was 21 and travelling Europe I'd initially raise my eyebrows at anyone 30+. Karma prob coming my way.

Back