Travel How old is 'too old' to stay in a backpacker hostel?

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you think it was because you were self conscious about it, or did you actually pick up a vibe and receive "looks" telling you that you didn't belong?

Both (although it's hard to tell).

I found high levels of antipathy (and even occasional hostility) from fellow Aussies and a few Kiwis. The Europeans, Canadians and Americans were much more open and friendly. Even then you'd often bounce from invisible to a social leper until you found your groove.

I do recall when I was younger and in the scene properly, there would always be that lone creepy older dude at the Hostel (its a stereotype). To the point you would wind up wary of any older dude, because there was a good chance he was a creep (not all were, but a sizeable number certainly were). The stigma kind of carries over to pretty much every middle aged dude in hostels.

Travelers as a whole are a pretty open bunch though.

I didnt have much of a problem meeting friends, and hooking up etc and all the usual social stuff. Your personality always shines though to most people; if you're a dick it doesnt matter how old you are really, and if youre an awesome dude, few people are going to write you off simply because you're older as well.

I guess I overcompensated and was super mindful at times not to come off wrong, rather than (when I was a younger bloke) I could just be myself and not worry as much. That was the main difference.

Im totally going to do it again when borders open.

In 2008 I went on a merry little tour of Scandanavia and Eastern Europe at the ripe old age of 32.
The price of even budget hotels in Sweden was ridiculous so I booked into a backpackers in a few towns.
In Gothenberg, I was in a four bed male dorm. Nice place, quiet, tidy.
I'd been out sightseeing all day and returned to this older gent (early 60's) sitting on the edge of his bed in his underwear, rubbing oil all over his body.
Was quite a sight.
Another older gent was there and we introduced ourselves.
We got talking and the oiler joined in the conversation.
Turns out he was a medical doctor from Iran on a conference. His wife was in the female dorms.
We all started complaining about the cost of accommodation in Sweden.
That vision has never left me and I have never been in a backpacker hostel since.
32 years. That's what I reckon is too old.

If my mum and dad are driving me mental later this week (am at their holiday house for the next 2 weeks) I may have to even book a night or two somewhere.

There's no way I'm coughing up the crazy prices they charge for a basic hotel room in this area, at this time.

I prefer hostels with private rooms and I really don't think that's going to change anytime soon? Even if I get a partner (I'm 30).

Most decent hostels have a bar and a pool these days anyway, that's all you really 'need' for downtime, and your own space.

Will hopefully do 6 weeks or so in Central America later this year. Can't *ing wait.

I prefer hostels with private rooms and I really don't think that's going to change anytime soon? Even if I get a partner (I'm 30).

Most decent hostels have a bar and a pool these days anyway, that's all you really 'need' for downtime, and your own space.

Will hopefully do 6 weeks or so in Central America later this year. Can't f*n wait.

Did 3 months in Central America when Rona hit.

Was sick.

PM me if you want any tips :)

If you're looking to save huge $$$$ and don't mind sharing good luck to you

For me it depends where I'm staying... if it's just a rest stop a cheap motel is ok with me.

If i'm going to be somewhere for a few days maybe something better and more central (especially if you're walking everywhere)

I think a lot of you are out staying in party hostels (or at least have a reputation for it) where a majority of stayers are going to be young and out looking to get pissed up. I'm certain there are plenty of quieter ones out there if that's what you are looking for.

I've just hit my 40's and this thread has made me question whether or not I should be staying in them. I avoid the party ones and I'm away from them during the day/night and only return there to sleep so that contact with others is minimal since I'm anti-social for the most part. So it shouldn't be a problem. I'd definitely be paranoid now if I was mixing with people half my age at these things beyond a "Hello, where you from?" type thing.

I do remember once about 12 years ago when I was doing the whole backpacker thing just before I hit 30 and thinking it was weird the odd time I saw someone in their 40's travelling solo using them. Now I'm at that point, so...

I think a lot of you are out staying in party hostels (or at least have a reputation for it) where a majority of stayers are going to be young and out looking to get pissed up. I'm certain there are plenty of quieter ones out there if that's what you are looking for.

I've just hit my 40's and this thread has made me question whether or not I should be staying in them. I avoid the party ones and I'm away from them during the day/night and only return there to sleep so that contact with others is minimal since I'm anti-social for the most part. So it shouldn't be a problem. I'd definitely be paranoid now if I was mixing with people half my age at these things beyond a "Hello, where you from?" type thing.

I do remember once about 12 years ago when I was doing the whole backpacker thing just before I hit 30 and thinking it was weird the odd time I saw someone in their 40's travelling solo using them. Now I'm at that point, so...
I think the quiet/homely type hostels are fine for anyone of any age.

I think the quiet/homely type hostels are fine for anyone of any age.

That's what I'm aiming for next time. Social hostels, that are not party hostels.

My problem in Europe (where I'm headed to next) is the damn age limit at all the good hostels.

Designed to keep the Karens and Creepy single middle aged men like me away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's what I'm aiming for next time. Social hostels, that are not party hostels.

My problem in Europe (where I'm headed to next) is the damn age limit at all the good hostels.

Depends on country and hostel. I have stayed in hostels with 70 yo couples mixing with 18 yos (obviously in separate rooms) but shared spaces.
Where if you go other countries hostels are basically drug dens.
If nothing good in Europe try air bnb.
Depends on place as well.

Haha age limit? Can't believe that's a thing.

That's life I guess, probably people in their early 20's saw a 30 year old and thought that was weird and that will never be them.

I'm close-ish to 40 and very recently stayed in 2 hostels in Los Angeles.

Both great locations, private rooms and saved about $600-800.

Minded my own business, said hello to people I passed as I was entering and leaving.

That's life I guess, probably people in their early 20's saw a 30 year old and thought that was weird and that will never be them.

I'm close-ish to 40 and very recently stayed in 2 hostels in Los Angeles.

Both great locations, private rooms and saved about $600-800.

Minded my own business, said hello to people I passed as I was entering and leaving.

Im off to Europe in 2 weeks for a 2 month holiday, and will be staying in hostels the whole time (age: 47).

Many in Europe have a stupid age restriction of 35 or under at them which sucks hard.

Hate landing on a dope Hostel on Hostelworld, only to check the fine print where it says 'no Creepy old dudes allowed'.

Are these age restriction for men only?

I sucks but there must have been some sort group of minority creepy guys ruining it for everyone else.

All genders.

There is a not insignificant amount of 'creepy old single dudes' at hostels, getting around making younger chicks feel uncomfortable. It's not all of us, but they're out there. I probably hate them more now I'm in their age bracket myself, than I did back when I was in my 20's.

On the flip side of the coin, a significant number of middle aged female backpackers are full blown Karens. The sort to check into a Party Hostel and then go apeshit and carry on about the noise, lights, people banging and all the usual crap that goes on in party hostels. Even at non party hostels, these ladies want to mother hen the other younger girls, and just generally be ******* annoying.

If you're in that age bracket, you get thrust into that stereotype until you kind of prove yourself. It's not insurmountable, but it's a thing.

Are these age restriction for men only?

I sucks but there must have been some sort group of minority creepy guys ruining it for everyone else.
I felt like one of those creepy men recently. Booked a cheap hostel near a concert location in Berlin recently. Was really drunk afterwards when I got back to the hotel. Decided to have a last beer there before going to my room. And I really felt out of place. Was nearly too drunk to sit and all other customers were somehow girls 20+ year younger then me...

Im off to Europe in 2 weeks for a 2 month holiday, and will be staying in hostels the whole time (age: 47).

Many in Europe have a stupid age restriction of 35 or under at them which sucks hard.

Hate landing on a dope Hostel on Hostelworld, only to check the fine print where it says 'no Creepy old dudes allowed'.
Where in Europe are you going?

Will hopefully do 6 weeks or so in Central America later this year. Can't *ing wait.

I have been doing that since I could afford it. Pick your hostels wisely (my mate got a private room but it was a contiki hostel so it was a bit hard to meet people) but I was in private hostel rooms from 28 until 34.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back