Analysis How Our Draftees Have Performed in SOS's Era

Remove this Banner Ad

Wanted to visit how draftees in SOS's era have performed to date.

Not going to include over-agers here and just going to rate them purely on my own expectations against what I see to be the current reality.

1. Weitering..................Still hasn't put it together in his third year. Looked a gun from day 1, but has not sustained that level. 5/10
10. McKay....................Opportunity has shown up just what we may have on ur hands here. Has the tools to become a player. 8/10
12. Curnow..................Already being double and triple-teamed. Didn't expect this so early. 9.5/10
23. Cuningham.............Injury and form have got in the way of his best traits, but somewhat disappointed to date. 4/10
53. Silvagni..................Pretty much what should have been expected. 5/10
R1. Glass-McCasker.......Just starting to get his hands on the ball but may be a little too late. 4/10

6. Petrevski-Seton.........No pre-season I know, but generally speaking a major disappointment to date, as he's so much better. 3/10
27. Fisher.....................Expected plenty and have got plenty and then some. 8/10
47. Macreadie...............Only have projections to work with but haven't been disappointed at all. 7/10
59. Polson....................Didn't know what to expect, even after his first pre-season. 5/10
61. Williamson..............Missed the year but was the surprise packet of 2017 8/10
65. Kerr.......................Pretty much what I expected. 5/10
R.5 Le Bois...................Had higher hopes, even after injuries he's had. 3/10

3. Dow........................Expected plenty and have received plenty. Vigour of a very high standard for an 18yo. 8/10
10. O'Brien..................Has shown a lot more than I expected. Already fits as a first 22 player. 7.5/10
30. De Koning..............Didn't expect much at all in his first year, but even in the VFL, he's shown himself to be an exceptional competitor 8/10
70. Schumacher...........No senior exposure but I've been very impressed given where he was picked up. Does many things very well. 7.5/10

6. Petrevski-Seton.........No pre-season I know, but generally speaking a major disappointment to date, as he's so much better. 3/10

There's no doubt he could do much better (as can most others), but you're being incredibly harsh on SPS. His numbers were up in the second-half of the year and was doing more damage around the field. He was just down in yesterday's match.

Not quite List Management and can't find a dedicated thread for it, but just wanted to visit how draftees in SOS's era have performed to date.
Not going to include over-agers here and just going to rate them purely on my own expectations against what I see to be the current reality.

1. Weitering..................Still hasn't put it together in his third year. Looked a gun from day 1, but has not sustained that level. 5/10
10. McKay....................Opportunity has shown up just what we may have on ur hands here. Has the tools to become a player. 8/10
12. Curnow..................Already being double and triple-teamed. Didn't expect this so early. 9.5/10
23. Cuningham.............Injury and form have got in the way of his best traits, but somewhat disappointed to date. 4/10
R1. Glass-McCasker.......Just starting to get his hands on the ball but may be a little too late. 4/10

27. Fisher.....................Expected plenty and have got plenty and then some. 8/10
47. Macreadie...............Only have projections to work with but haven't been disappointed at all. 7/10
59. Polson....................Didn't know what to expect, even after his first pre-season. 5/10
61. Williamson..............Missed the year but was the surprise packet of 2017 8/10
R.5 Le Bois...................Had higher hopes, even after injuries he's had. 3/10

3. Dow........................Expected plenty and have received plenty. Vigour of a very high standard for an 18yo. 8/10
10. O'Brien..................Has shown a lot more than I expected. Already fits as a first 22 player. 7.5/10
30. De Koning..............Didn't expect much at all in his first year, but even in the VFL, he's shown himself to be an exceptional competitor 8/10
70. Schumacher...........No senior exposure but I've been very impressed given where he was picked up. Does many things very well. 7.5/10
I like it. Maybe we can revisit this post in 12 months and even give it its own thread.

Hard to argue with any ratings or your reasoning either.

I’ve actually been so impressed with Fish I might give him a 9 but that’s me very much being a fan boy.

* ^^^
As above: I’d have SPS at around a 5, I’ve seen it in patches but nowhere near enough. Victim of how I think he should be performing though possibly.

There's no doubt he could do much better (as can most others), but you're being incredibly harsh on SPS. His numbers were up in the second-half of the year and was doing more damage around the field. He was just down in yesterday's match.

How would you rate him? Expectation vs Delivery.
I had very high expectations of Petrevski-Seton, but that's my problem.

I'm not forecasting where he may end up as he's a terrific talent, but in the most he's been quite underwhelming.
The #27 Fisher has shown a lot more to me than the #6 SPS......so far.

I like it. Maybe we can revisit this post in 12 months and even give it its own thread.

Hard to argue with any ratings or your reasoning either.

I’ve actually been so impressed with Fish I might give him a 9 but that’s me very much being a fan boy.

* ^^^
As above: I’d have SPS at around a 5, I’ve seen it in patches but nowhere near enough. Victim of how I think he should be performing though possibly.

It will change and it is subjective.
If for instance you didn't have high hopes for SPS, you may give him a 7.
I just saw him as an out and out gun and someone I expected to impose themselves on the comp very early on.

I'm not forecasting where he may end up as he's a terrific talent, but in the most he's been quite underwhelming.

That's the problem, we overrate numbers too much. Does SPS really have to perform better than Fisher because of being picked at 6, or does he need to just perform well? No matter how much the coach may want it, development isn't linear. Some players will get the hang of it before others.

My expectations for nearly everybody are high, and most of them haven't been reached them this year given the team's performances as a whole. As I already stated, SPS has been super inconsistent and yet to have a proper pre-season, but I wouldn't have him anywhere near a 3. More of a 5 or 6.

There are others that do need to add more strings to their bow at the moment (Weitering, Polson, Kerr, O'Brien, etc.)

Interesting that we are getting better at drafting in 2017, per your rankings despite having less currency than 2015. 2 hits in 2015, 3 in 2016 and 4 in 2017. Can we keep it going....

I think Weiters will come good and was not unhappy with him yesterday. He has played through injury and based on his complete output since drafting he has been better than 5/10 (almost won the rising star). Kids improve in waves it is not linear.

SPS is a tricky one. Is far better than 3/10 but only in patches and I understand your rating. If he can lift intensity/endurance he offers a lot, but may become a logical swap for Cerra next year if both want to go home.

It will change and it is subjective.
If for instance you didn't have high hopes for SPS, you may give him a 7.
I just saw him as an out and out gun and someone I expected to impose themselves on the comp very early on.
I had and still have very high hopes mate. I think he’s been average, hence I have him a 5. I would’ve expected to be giving him a 9 or 10.

Can certainly see merit in why you’ve got him a touch lower, perhaps I’m being too kind.

I had and still have very high hopes mate. I think he’s been average, hence I have him a 5. I would’ve expected to be giving him a 9 or 10.
Can certainly see merit in why you’ve got him a touch lower, perhaps I’m being too kind.

I'm just looking at it from a subjective expectation point of view.
I understand that players taken higher in the draft bring about more expectation, but that's largely the nature of things.

Having said that though Dow, Curnow, Mckay, Fisher & LOB have exceeded expectations. Good thing if they all do. We'd be flying :)

I think we've all expected more from SPS but he has shown some real class in patches so far in his first 2 seasons. Let's see how he goes with a proper pre-season under his belt next year. I reckon you've gotta give them about three seasons before you start getting an idea of how they'll cut it at AFL level.

Pretty much on the money except SPS unders & Williamson overs albeit hard to judge with injuries !!

I’d rate C.Curnow , Fisher & Dow as wins

McKay , SPS , O’Brien like what I see but still developing

Thought Cuningham & Williamson were going ok last year , injured this year

Going to call Weitering a bust , JSOS would not be on the list if not for his surname , not sure how Polson was drafted

PS liked TDKs debut

Pretty much on the money except SPS unders & Williamson overs albeit hard to judge with injuries !!

I’d rate C.Curnow , Fisher & Dow as wins

McKay , SPS , O’Brien like what I see but still developing

Thought Cuningham & Williamson were going ok last year , injured this year

Going to call Weitering a bust , JSOS would not be on the list if not for his surname , not sure how Polson was drafted

PS liked TDKs debut

ffs, you blokes are harsh.
Weitering was a revelation in his first year and a bit, held up a shitty backline and was a great player. His development has been stunted by the garbage support systems in place and he's an example of a young bloke given too much responsibility for a key position too early, whilst absolute guys like Rowe fumble their way through every game.
I'd be very happy if you traded him to Collingwood

Last edited by a moderator:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weitering was a revelation in his first year and a bit, held up a shitty backline and was a great player. His development has been stunted by the garbage support systems in place and he's an example of a young bloke given too much responsibility for a key position too early, whilst absolute spuds like Rowe fumble their way through every game.

Thankyou.

Pretty much agree with all those ratings. I would probably have Weitering at a 3-4 because I expected so much especially after his first season.
I think getting Marchbank has actually hurt him because he has taken the interception role forcing Weitering to become more accountable and that's something I don't think he has ever had to do. I remember reading people questioning his one on one ability in his draft year because Collins always took the best forward no one really knew if he could stop a gun forward.

Good summary.
I have to say though that the body of work by Weitering has been superior to Kerr and Polson (scoring 5/10).
Charlie and Dow are probably the only two potential "A graders" at this early stage.

Harks, if this is based on output, you have some players severely undervalued, while others overvalued. Even against their peers in the same draft they are skewed. If it is your expectations alone, then no one could really debate the values

Weitering 7/10
JGM 1/10
SPS 7/10
Macreadie 5.5/10
Polson 4/10
Le Bois 1/10
TDK 5/10
Schumacher 5/10

The others are thereabouts

My view

1. Weitering..................He’ll be fine and a star for a long time. Starting to get back into it. Understand he went through a rough patch 6/10

10. McKay..................... must keep and starting to see what hard work and belief can do - 7/10

12. Curnow..................Genuine a grader 10/10

23. Cuningham.............hasn’t made it in my view 2/10

53. Silvagni................... nearing 50 games and not sure what he offers as has so many weaknesses in his game. Can’t see it happening sadly. 3/10

R1. Glass-McCasker.......who? Delist 0/10

6. Petrevski-Seton......... needs to improve but the quality is there. Persist. 5/10

27. Fisher.....................quality recruit. 8/10

47. Macreadie...............jury is out as hasn’t been able to get more than 8 games? 3/10

59. Polson....................seems quite limited as a player, but I hope he can continue improving 5/10

61. Williamson..............really rate him 7/10

65. Kerr.......................role player without being spectacular 5/10

R.5 Le Bois...................nowhere 0/10

3. Dow........................going to be a star 8/10

10. O'Brien..................under rated big time, very impressive. 8/10

30. De Koning..............one game and looked like he belongs. Let’s see what’s next 5/10

70. Schumacher...........hasn’t played 0/10

Weitering was a revelation in his first year and a bit, held up a shitty backline and was a great player. His development has been stunted by the garbage support systems in place and he's an example of a young bloke given too much responsibility for a key position too early, whilst absolute guys like Rowe fumble their way through every game.

Classy post. Come back any time!

Hoping like all * we haven’t Sporn-ed another Livingston...

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone starts off at a 5 after being drafted, judgments are based on my ability to project these guys as successful 200-game players and components of a premiership team.

1. Weitering..................7/10 - still our best young defender in terms of being able to do it all, was close to our best player against GCS, gets injured then returns a bit rusty and people are onto him again...

10. McKay.....................7/10 - really starting to show his ability now

12. Curnow..................10/10 - not much needs to be said here...

23. Cuningham.............4/10 - drops from baseline, just hasn't done enough yet, injuries ruined his 2018...

53. Silvagni...................5/10 - no real movement, has plenty to work on...

R1. Glass-McCasker.......1/10 - gets a point for kicking a couple of goals in the 2s...

6. Petrevski-Seton.........6/10 - only slightly moves up on the back of consistent performances in the last half dozen weeks, we need much more next year though...

27. Fisher.....................9/10 - outstanding year, 2nd only to Charlie...

47. Macreadie...............5/10 - too oft-injured to really judge, this should have been a development year with available spots in defence but what a waste...

59. Polson....................5/10 - tries hard, nothing significant yet...

61. Williamson..............7/10 - injured this year but gains ground on the back of a solid debut season...

65. Kerr.......................5/10 - wasn't embarrassed when given games in the AFL, is quite good in the VFL...

R.5 Le Bois...................2/10 - not as bad as JGM but not far away either...

3. Dow........................9/10 - massive future

10. O'Brien..................8/10 - massive future

30. De Koning..............6/10 - like him a lot

70. Schumacher...........5/10 - developing appropriately

Haven’t given up on any of them yet, all still have some work to do.

Plenty of excitement about the list, reckon they would all look better in a better side. Let’s hope this comes to pass over the next two seasons.

A little perspective on Weitering wouldn't hurt.

The guy is 20 years old. Playing on opponents generally in their prime ~4-8 years older.

The fact he's already racked up 55 games by now is a testament to his at worst on average output. He's had underwhelming games yes... but I wonder how many KPD at 20 years old have had 20+ disposal games like he has. Ceebs looking up the stats for Rance, Taylor, etc.

Hypothetically, five years from now when he's in his 'prime' he'll be amidst a stable defence and in a team that doesn't concede the third highest inside 50s total.

FB: Plowman - Marchbank - Byrne
HB: Docherty - Weitering - Williamson

I just don't think it's realistic to forecast him a bust given what we've seen to date.

SPS! what's most disappointing is SPS has not replicated his 3 Brownlow point domination of Collingwood last year... second year blues... lack of a preseason... playing in the worst midfield in the comp... we might just be sitting on a 3rd year breakout sleeper here!

needs to work on his running, hopefully thats a representation of a miss spent summer in the rehab group...

what for sure is carlton and SOS can't afford any busts at pick 6

my biggest draft concern currently is round 2 pick on Cuningham, is yet role yet.

Williamson looked great in his year 1 but this guy has made more bigfooty warriors go early than when anna kournakova slipped a nipple at india wells.

SPS! what's most disappointing is SPS has not replicated his 3 Brownlow point domination of Collingwood last year... second year blues... lack of a preseason... playing in the worst midfield in the comp... we might just be sitting on a 3rd year breakout sleeper here!

needs to work on his running, hopefully thats a representation of a miss spent summer in the rehab group...

what for sure is carlton and SOS can't afford any busts at pick 6

my biggest draft concern currently is round 2 pick on Cuningham, is yet role yet.

Williamson looked great in his year 1 but this guy has made more bigfooty warriors go early than when anna kournakova slipped a nipple at india wells.
I would argue that SPS' 26 disposal game in our win over the Suns a few weeks ago was his best outing so far & he has had a handful of other games this season in which he has shown plenty.

I think he has been more consistent this season, except for his performance yesterday, which was way off what he has been doing this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back