Analysis How Our Draftees Have Performed in SOS's Era

Remove this Banner Ad

Great topic. Really gets you thinking re expectations and current output.

1. Weitering..................Not the gun I thought he would be but still in his 3rd year. 6/10
10. McKay....................Love his athleticisim. Small sample size but looks good. Not many games in his 3rd year hurts. 7/10
12. Curnow..................10/10
23. Cuningham.............Injury/low in confidence. 4/10
53. Silvagni..................Doing everything you would hope from a pick 53(ie. has deficiencies but tries his guts out). Was never going to be a star. 5/10
R1. Glass-McCasker.......Hasn't fired a shot. 1/10

6. Petrevski-Seton.........Has all the ability to be elite. Two best on grounds in 40 games. Needs to be more brilliant more often. 5/10
27. Fisher.....................9/10
47. Macreadie...............Haven't seen enough of him. Promising. 5/10
59. Polson....................Doing everything you would expect from a pick 59 (ie. has deficiencies but tries his guts out). 5/10
61. Williamson..............Very good first year. Not playing a game through injury hurts. 6/10
65. Kerr.......................5/10
R.5 Le Bois...................Was built up to be the best player not to be drafted. Hasn't fired a shot. 1/10

3. Dow........................Strong, explosive, gaining confidence. Disposal will get better with experience. 8/10
10. O'Brien..................Has worked his way in to the season nicely. 7/10
30. De Koning..............Developing nicely in the VFL. Nice debut. 7/10
70. Schumacher...........Developing nicely in the VFL. 5/10

So of the 17 players listed I only see Cuningham (who has all the attributes), JGM and Le Bois not performing to at least the level you would expect when drafted. Cuningham has had injuries this year, but needs to show something. The other two are rookie selections.

Of the five I have rated as 'at level' all are pick 47 or below..

Wanted to visit how draftees in SOS's era have performed to date.

Not going to include over-agers here and just going to rate them purely on my own expectations against what I see to be the current reality.

1. Weitering..................Still hasn't put it together in his third year. Looked a gun from day 1, but has not sustained that level. 5/10
I would have to agree with these thoughts. Still like others have said, talls can take a long time to develop and getting games into this kid will be worth it long term. Being a tall young defender playing for the Blues would be hard work as well, judge this kid in a few more years.
(Who I wanted Schache)

10. McKay....................Opportunity has shown up just what we may have on ur hands here. Has the tools to become a player. 8/10
Shown enough for me, his goal scoring was my main concern and he has shown an ability to kick goals so that is a massive tick.
(Milera/Curnow)

12. Curnow..................Already being double and triple-teamed. Didn't expect this so early. 9.5/10
Could not want for more, this kid is a gun. Cripps and Curnow are players you build teams around.
(Curnow)

23. Cuningham.............Injury and form have got in the way of his best traits, but somewhat disappointed to date. 4/10
I agree with your thoughts.
(Collins or Tucker)

53. Silvagni..................Pretty much what should have been expected. 5/10
I think inside midfielder is his long term role about what I expected from this selection.
(Silvagni)

R1. Glass-McCasker.......Just starting to get his hands on the ball but may be a little too late. 4/10
Very new to the AFL system and had plenty to offer, may just never reach the mark and was certainly worth the risk
(Kade Stewart)

6. Petrevski-Seton.........No pre-season I know, but generally speaking a major disappointment to date, as he's so much better. 3/10
I just wish he was a little more attacking with his kicking, a little annoyed with his 20m kicks. Worried that he does not offer a heap forward or back.
(SPS)

27. Fisher.....................Expected plenty and have got plenty and then some. 8/10
His under 18's game did transition to AFL level, I thought it would not. Way better than I expected.
(Shai Bolton)

47. Macreadie...............Only have projections to work with but haven't been disappointed at all. 7/10
Shown enough for me long term, worth sticking with
(Macreadie, was shocked he drifted to us)

59. Polson....................Didn't know what to expect, even after his first pre-season. 5/10
Sorry Soapy, still not sure he is AFL standard.
(Zurhaar)

61. Williamson..............Missed the year but was the surprise packet of 2017 8/10
Cracking pick from the Blues, excited to see him long term and certainly was not on my radar
(Kerr)

65. Kerr.......................Pretty much what I expected. 5/10
Doing what I was worried he may look like at AFL level. The modern game may just not suit his style of play.
(Duman)

R.5 Le Bois...................Had higher hopes, even after injuries he's had. 3/10
I liked him as a junior have not seen him since.

3. Dow........................Expected plenty and have received plenty. Vigour of a very high standard for an 18yo. 8/10
Kid has shown plenty and using his speed which is good to see.
(Cerra, in saying that selecting Dow and his speed was also a very good call)

10. O'Brien..................Has shown a lot more than I expected. Already fits as a first 22 player. 7.5/10
He is growing on me a little, still I think his kicking is not nearly as good as people talk about.
(Bonar)

30. De Koning..............Didn't expect much at all in his first year, but even in the VFL, he's shown himself to be an exceptional competitor 8/10
Hard to know just yet, but look okay at AFL level. Was certainly not on my radar come draft day and I hope I am wrong.
(Ballard)

70. Schumacher...........No senior exposure but I've been very impressed given where he was picked up. Does many things very well. 7.5/10
No real comment at the moment
(Giro)

No real comment at the moment
(Giro)
I do prefer Bonar to LOB and think LOB will still be a good long term player for us.

People saying his kicking isn't as beautiful as promised - that is correct.

But on the flip side he is a lot more gritty, hard at the contest and able to win 1-on-1's...this was the main concern with him coming in and there's been nothing to suggest that he would take a backward step in this regard.

Happy with LOB, onwards and upwards young fella.

Was a bit worried about Dow earlier in the season, but am very impressed now, will be an absolute gun. Impressed with how LOB is building. Charlie :) , Harry looks to be building a very solid benchmark. TDK will be something. Love the Fish (not biased at all) More than happy with our young backline. Slightly concerned with Sammo, but will pass judgement after a full preseason. Overall from 2015-2017 drafts about 7.5/10, pretty happy. Bring on the next batch!

Not going to include over-agers here and just going to rate them purely on my own expectations against what I see to be the current reality.

1. Weitering..................Still hasn't put it together in his third year. Looked a gun from day 1, but has not sustained that level. 5/10
10. McKay....................Opportunity has shown up just what we may have on ur hands here. Has the tools to become a player. 8/10
12. Curnow..................Already being double and triple-teamed. Didn't expect this so early. 9.5/10
23. Cuningham.............Injury and form have got in the way of his best traits, but somewhat disappointed to date. 4/10
R1. Glass-McCasker.......Just starting to get his hands on the ball but may be a little too late. 4/10

6. Petrevski-Seton.........No pre-season I know, but generally speaking a major disappointment to date, as he's so much better. 3/10
27. Fisher.....................Expected plenty and have got plenty and then some. 8/10
47. Macreadie...............Only have projections to work with but haven't been disappointed at all. 7/10
59. Polson....................Didn't know what to expect, even after his first pre-season. 5/10
61. Williamson..............Missed the year but was the surprise packet of 2017 8/10
R.5 Le Bois...................Had higher hopes, even after injuries he's had. 3/10

3. Dow........................Expected plenty and have received plenty. Vigour of a very high standard for an 18yo. 8/10
10. O'Brien..................Has shown a lot more than I expected. Already fits as a first 22 player. 7.5/10
30. De Koning..............Didn't expect much at all in his first year, but even in the VFL, he's shown himself to be an exceptional competitor 8/10
70. Schumacher...........No senior exposure but I've been very impressed given where he was picked up. Does many things very well. 7.5/10
HARKER great thread.

I suggest one cannot rate McKay and Schumacher higher than Weitering and SPS, nor can one rate Polson higher than SPS or Cuningham. That suggests the ratings are forward looking, perhaps bias on where they were picked, however the comments suggest the rating is based on output.

My thoughts:

Best 22 in 2020:

2015 - Weitering, McKay, Charlie Curnow.
2016 - SPS, Fisher, Williamson, Macreadie.
2017 - Dow, O’Brien, TDK.

Of the trades in this time, add in Marchbank, Pickett, Kennedy.

Depth / fringe 22
2015 - Cuningham, Jack SOS
2016 - Polson, Kerr
2017 - Schumacher, Garlett.

Of the trades in this time, add in Plowman, Phillips, Lang, Lamb.

Best late pick - Williamson.
TDK stands out as a SOS pick where others did not rate him.

Stars at 24+ - several - Weitering, McKay, Charlie Curnow, SPS, Fisher, Williamson, Dow, O’Brien, TDK, Marchbank, Pickett.

Rest will be solid B-graders. Not sure on Polson. Think we will delist Lebois and JGM.

10. O'Brien 7.5

I just think O’Brien has been excellent. Has vision and ability to transition play 50 metres on a 45 metre trajectory, can find the ball and has a good defence to attack knowledge.

Absolutely damaging for us in the future

With Docherty back next year it’s going to be even better for LOB.

Good stuff an annual review on our draftees will be interesting based on fans views

1. Weitering.................. Taking his time but no doubting his class, reading of play, positioning and disposal. Big guy playing on seasoned bodies has done well and has huge upside with more belief still 20 years old. 7/10
10. McKay................... Like Weitering, has class in abundance needs time still 20 years old - you can see how he is going to develop he is going to be huge for us 7/10
12. Curnow.................. Already an A grader can not expect much more has put his game together quickly good stuff Charlie 10/10
23. Cuningham............. Not sure very injury prone but not a youngster I would want off the list so early as has explosive speed and upside 4/10
53. Silvagni..................I have an alternative view to most - I think he has been exceptional that can play in a variety of roles. The pinnacle definition of team player. One thing I like the most is his tenacity and hard work 6.5/10
R1. Glass-McCasker.......Too little too late 2/10

6. Petrevski-Seton.........Exceptional talent and showed all his skills in his first year when he has Gibbs, Cripps, Murphy and Curnow around him...too young to hold up the midfield on his own. He is a playmaker in the Gibbs mould and will develop like Lachie Hunter who is turning 24 in December. Needs support around him so he can flourish 7/10
27. Fisher................... Superstar in the making right here 9/10
47. Macreadie..............Has all the tools to be an A grade defender but just needs to take that next step which I am finding he is struggling to do 5/10
59. Polson................... Good pressure player but has a long way to go as looks uncomposed and messy. Skills are good but decision making is average 4/10
61. Williamson..............Loved what I saw of him last year, skills, aggression, tackling as an 18 year batting above his weight 8.5/10
65. Kerr.......................Good back up young tall - he is the type of player that will come in play a role when he is asked 5/10
R.5 Le Bois...................Good junior ruined by injuries 2/10

3. Dow........................Exceptional young talent needs to clean up his disposal a little bit but everything else screams A grade player 8/10
10. O'Brien..................Improving every week which is all you want to see - he has a big role to play for the club moving forward 7.5/10
30. De Koning..............Saw some of his junior highlight reels exceptional talent is the type of player that always has confidence and belief... his actions on the field makes him leadership material by default 7/10
70. Schumacher...........Not seen much of Shooy but what I have seen, runs hard, good skills, good decision making for a kid. Is another one of those players like Kerr that will do a role when asked. Developing exceptionally well from all reports. 6.5/10

To manage around the 40 game mark in two years with bit pre seasons being hampered by injury is actually a tick for Sammo. Has shown more as the year has gone on and I think will be fine.

EDIT: Fair few people are omitting Garlett as a draft pick last year. Hampered by a shoulder injury all year and came to the club with around 10 games or less to his name. Had moments and flashes here and there and hopefully will be better with a full preseason this year.

1. Weitering - In his 3rd season, I'd say 4-5 seasons for key position players to come on. Playing ok, some injuries, learning to defend, putting on some much needed weight. Going ok and playing enough good footy to suggest he's quality. Things to work on would be ground balls and kicking under pressure and strength but overall development is above normal for a tall.
10. McKay - 3rd season, talls taking 4-5 to be useful, only coming on now but is really coming on. Needs to build his tank, add size and keep working on how he flies for the ball in contests. Looking like a very good pick.
12. Curnow - One of those freaks who comes on really early, potentially a one in 10 years player like Franklin. Best is ahead of him, consistency is his developing key.
23. Cuningham - Bit disappointing. Doesn't seem to have a footy brain and isn't hard enough at the contest. Struggles to find the footy. Great build, athlete and a good kick but raw football talent is lacking. Need to see a bit more how he develops. Injuries been a problem. Has some talent but not top end.
53. Silvagni - Lacking body strength is a massive way and needs to build size and strength is a big way. Nothing wrong with his skills nor his height, problem is his lack of size and strength. Needs time to develop his body.
R1. Glass-McCasker - OK VFL player, hasn't got the talent.

6. Petrevski-Seton - Very talented but needs to develop some size and fitness. At this stage consistency is what he lacks and that will come from maturity.
27. Fisher - I would put him in that freak category, guy is seriously good and rounded. Speed, intent to chast, good tackler, great skills, footy brain and hard at it.
47. Macreadie - Needs to develop his body and become a genuine key defender. Injuries holding him back, looks to have the skills and athleticism, just needs to develop physically into that key defender position.
59. Polson - Good athlete and good build with intent to chase but unlike Fisher he lacks a footy brain and that extreme hardness at the contest. Some improvement but more needed. Like Cuningham struggles to find the ball.
61. Williamson - Looks an out and out gun with his pace, build and footy smarts, unfortunately injured all year. Outstanding kick.
65. Kerr - Reminds me of Whitnall a little. Smart player, good mark, not overly quick. Probably remain as good backup for some time to come.
R.5 Le Bois - Injuries have been a problem but he's another who struggles to put the numbers on the board.

3. Dow - Looks a good player, needs to develop physically, add pressure to his game and lots of fitness. Kicking is a big problem. Has good hands and is a good runner. Needs plenty of developing.
10. O'Brien - Can really find the footy, especially on the wing but lacks consistency. Build the body and fitness and he'll be very good. Hard at it, good skills, really good kick and good tackler.
30. De Koning - Exceeding expectations and looks like a skilful, athletic modern day ruckman. Plenty of developing to go but that's fine.
70. Schumacher - Very good performances in the VFL I think have warranted a senior game.

Our young guys don't have the luxury a lot do by playing in a decent team with a lot of good senior players around them so they have to battle a bit more but they are mostly tracking at a normal rate more or less considering it is about 4-5 years for talls and inside mids and 3 years for the rest before they are useful AFL players. Most of these guys won't hit their prime until around 2020-2022.

How would you rate him? Expectation vs Delivery.
I had very high expectations of Petrevski-Seton, but that's my problem.

I'm not forecasting where he may end up as he's a terrific talent, but in the most he's been quite underwhelming.
The #27 Fisher has shown a lot more to me than the #6 SPS......so far.

It will change and it is subjective.
If for instance you didn't have high hopes for SPS, you may give him a 7.
I just saw him as an out and out gun and someone I expected to impose themselves on the comp very early on.
Agreed, particularly given the lack of penetration in his possessions. He doesn't get it enough and doesn't do enough with it when he gets it. Hayward, SPP and Florent doing more at later picks.

No Rating Just comments

1. Weitering.................Started well, had a confidence issue, still developing but he is still the future of our backline
10. McKay....................Good Mark, good Speed for a big man, and one of the best set shots has a lot of talent, reminds me of Jack Reiwaldt
12. Curnow..................Pure Athletic Beast, reminds me a lot of Kouta, wouldn't mind seeing if he could play CHB, his disposal and set shot kicking is below par
23. Cuningham.............Not sure he is up to it, Injury a concern, 1 more season
53. Silvagni.................. Yet to find a niche, Overhead marking is a problem (big one last night) Speed an issue, but has a good footy head, defensive forward maybe but with no injuries he struggles to get a spot
R1. Glass-McCasker.......Might see the door on Monday

6. Petrevski-Seton.........Lacks strength, disposal not always great, needs to get in the gym, Im not convinced
27. FisherLenko.............Gun, On Par with the best Value Pick SOS has made (Curnow) given time will be considered elite
47. Macreadie...............Injury is a killer, Jury Out
59. Polson....................Started slow, but will get there, while not elite, may well be a 200 gamer
61. Williamson..............Jury out, needs to get over the injuries
65. Kerr.......................Project player, not sure he makes it long term, he needs to become a beast
R.5 Le Bois...................Might see the door

3. Dow........................Smart gutsy and exceptional talent, Future B&F 200 gamer minimum
10. O'Brien..................Has had issues but is developing into a very nice player, I hope he revels Dow one day.
30. De Koning..............Not sure yet, he has potential but still needs to develop, take the slow approach like Harry.
70. Schumacher...........No Idea

No Rating Just comments

1. Weitering.................Started well, had a confidence issue, still developing but he is still the future of our backline
10. McKay....................Good Mark, good Speed for a big man, and one of the best set shots has a lot of talent, reminds me of Jack Reiwaldt
12. Curnow..................Pure Athletic Beast, reminds me a lot of Kouta, wouldn't mind seeing if he could play CHB, his disposal and set shot kicking is below par
23. Cuningham.............Not sure he is up to it, Injury a concern, 1 more season
53. Silvagni.................. Yet to find a niche, Overhead marking is a problem (big one last night) Speed an issue, but has a good footy head, defensive forward maybe but with no injuries he struggles to get a spot
R1. Glass-McCasker.......Might see the door on Monday

6. Petrevski-Seton.........Lacks strength, disposal not always great, needs to get in the gym, Im not convinced
27. FisherLenko.............Gun, On Par with the best Value Pick SOS has made (Curnow) given time will be considered elite
47. Macreadie...............Injury is a killer, Jury Out
59. Polson....................Started slow, but will get there, while not elite, may well be a 200 gamer
61. Williamson..............Jury out, needs to get over the injuries
65. Kerr.......................Project player, not sure he makes it long term, he needs to become a beast
R.5 Le Bois...................Might see the door

3. Dow........................Smart gutsy and exceptional talent, Future B&F 200 gamer minimum
10. O'Brien..................Has had issues but is developing into a very nice player, I hope he revels Dow one day.
30. De Koning..............Not sure yet, he has potential but still needs to develop, take the slow approach like Harry.
70. Schumacher...........No Idea

Everybody , ignore this post - listen to the media , our drafting is a disaster - we have no good young players and need the brain surgeons at the AFL to intervene - we can draw on Gil's extensive coaching and list management experience

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everybody , ignore this post - listen to the media , our drafting is a disaster - we have no good young players and need the brain surgeons at the AFL to intervene - we can draw on Gil's extensive coaching and list management experience
Good plan.

He is always the smartest person in the room.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back