Society/Culture How quickly it changed...

Remove this Banner Ad

The quality of content is inversely proportional to the number of people creating it.

That's probably true for all mass communication inventions over the past century including radio & TV. Even CB radios back in the day suffered the same.

Futurist - No one uses curse words and, although anonymous, are nice to each other

This fooking dickwad makes some interesting points...

But seriously, perhaps back in the old days of 1993, the Internet may have attracted a subset of people, who perhaps had a less curse-word and a more nice-to-other-people disposition.

It wasn’t the case when I got on there though... and this is no joke... I remember this guy saying RupieDupie, check out this, it’s called a ChatRoom, so I get on there, and pretend I’m an old married man, and the person I’m having a discussion with cannot believe I’m having a discussion on the Internet rather than banging my missus. So I try and move the conversation on, “how about cloud formations? You got a favourite?”, and this other guy is all like, “Cumulus... nah seriously, you should be banging your wife”, and I’m all like trying to change the discussion again, so I’m all like, “I like cricket... how about you?”, and he’s all like, “Yeah I’ve seen some games... but seriously man, go and bang your missus”.

He was so hard up.

But seriously, perhaps back in the old days of 1993, the Internet may have attracted a subset of people, who perhaps had a less curse-word and a more nice-to-other-people disposition.
In the early days most people using the internet were IT professionals & hobbyists. Those that weren't were mainly academics. Both those groups are overwhelmingly egalitarian.

Once netscape came along people from outside of these groups started filtering in. Connecting online was still expensive and a pain in the arse so it took a while for the demographics to radically change. Easy access hasn't been kind.

In the early days most people using the internet were IT professionals & hobbyists. Those that weren't were mainly academics. Both those groups are overwhelmingly egalitarian.

Once netscape came along people from outside of these groups started filtering in. Connecting online was still expensive and a pain in the arse so it took a while for the demographics to radically change. Easy access hasn't been kind.

In some ways...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The day the lycra cyclist clones formed online hate groups was the day the internet died. Society in Australia has never recovered from the forming of the lycra army. It infests its way right through society. Combined with the marketing of salmon shirts as evening wear, the modern adult is trapped in a cycle of victimization and stupidity. Rip

Remove this Banner Ad

Back