Moved Thread How secret Bombers deal came unstuck

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 21, 2002
Hawaii
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
How did the Bombers get this one up? Or did the AFL propose this?

A proposed deal between ASADA and Essendon whereby Bombers players would escape doping sanctions with zero penalty, while Cronulla players would be given a minimum six-month ban, was aborted following protests from lawyers acting for ASADA and Cronulla.

The very same day that ARLC chief executive, Dave Smith, learnt of a proposed preferential deal to his main competitor, he raised it with Prime Minister Julia Gillard at a pre-arranged meeting in Sydney. While Smith is now confident any discriminatory deals are off the table, the AFL can be expected to be frustrated that 45 players from one of its most prominent clubs may be suspended for the season.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/sport/how-...ame-unstuck-20130327-2guor.html#ixzz2OkZz8N4m

OK, but if the deal had got up, it wouldn't have looked real flash, would it?

I don't think anyone can truly say.

For instance, Essendon certainly hasn't been found guilty of anything, neither has Cronulla as I understand it. This article also ignores any differing circumstances in each case.

I also think we would need to see what these alleged conditions are that Essendon would've been required to meet.

Essendon were always going to attempt to work out a deal with ASADA.

Watson and Heppell have spoken far too confidently to the media the last few weeks. They were obviously assured a deal was going to be worked out.

Essendon should not be allowed to cheat and get away with it. But they still might. I definitely don't trust ASADA or the AFL to reach the right outcome.

Essendon were always going to attempt to work out a deal with ASADA.

Watson and Heppell have spoken far too confidently to the media the last few weeks. They were obviously assured a deal was going to be worked out.

Essendon should not be allowed to cheat and get away with it. But they still might. I definitely don't trust ASADA or the AFL to reach the right outcome.

And what if we actually haven't cheated? :rolleyes:

And what if we actually haven't cheated? :rolleyes:

Then why did you try manufacture a deal with ASADA?

If you didn't cheat, wouldn't EFC just stand by and allow the investigation to take place with no interference?

Essendon are now at the point where they're trying to soften the blow that's coming.

Conveniently, this is the last line of the article...

That line sounds like it was put in there at the last moment by nervous fairfax lawyers, it's completely incongruous with the rest of the article which, if factual, is the most damning thing I have read on the whole sorry tale. This could completely blow up in the AFL's face.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am not saying it didn't happen but you have to consider the source here. The journalist is hardly a model of accuracy when it comes to reporting on AFL issues.

Then why did you try manufacture a deal with ASADA?

If you didn't cheat, wouldn't EFC just stand by and allow the investigation to take place with no interference?

Essendon are now at the point where they're trying to soften the blow that's coming.
They were at that point the moment they've called for that presser, only some Eseendon fans are failing to grasp this fact.
I am not saying it didn't happen but you have to consider the source here. The journalist is hardly a model of accuracy when it comes to reporting on AFL issues.
At this rate you blokes are going to run out of media people to discredit in a day or two.

You don't accuse the AFL of stuff like that unless you're very very certain of it.

There is no doubt that Masters hates the AFL as a code, but also acknowledges how much better run it and the clubs are compared to RL.

At this rate you blokes are going to run out of media people to discredit in a day or two.

You don't accuse the AFL of stuff like that unless you're very very certain of it.

I suspect that Masters has very good sources in RL and this is where the information is coming from.

Bombers will not be suspended. AFL is a multi million dollar well oiled machine that is massive in terms of economy in this country. RL is a shambolic wanna be little brother that are run like a carnival at Rosebud in late January. I will laugh my ass off when the RL flogs around AUs cry, bitch and moan when they watch their mob get rubbed out, but then get to see the Bombers smash GWS the week later. Love it.

Bombers will not be suspended. AFL is a multi million dollar well oiled machine that is massive in terms of economy in this country. RL is a shambolic wanna be little brother that are run like a carnival at Rosebud in late January. I will laugh my arse off when the RL flogs around AUs cry, bitch and moan when they watch their mob get rubbed out, but then get to see the Bombers smash GWS the week later. Love it.

You'd love to see Essendon get away with cheating just to score some cheap points over rugby league? Your priorities are all wrong.

If Essendon were found guilty of something and managed to broker a deal to get off the hook it would be a disgraceful outcome for all involved.

If Essendon were found guilty of something and managed to broker a deal to get off the hook it would be a disgraceful outcome for all involved.

What, like Melbourne/Adelaide ???

What, like Melbourne/Adelaide ???

Yes the Melbourne debacle was disgraceful.

The Adelaide stuff isn't even close to the same league as this (neither is Melbourne really) and at least they were punished with the loss of draft picks.

What's your point exactly? How does any of that relate to Essendon theoretically doing a deal with an anti-doping authority to escape penalty for systematically doping? It would be disgraceful for the AFL, ASADA and sport in general if such a thing were to occur.

Yes the Melbourne debacle was disgraceful.

The Adelaide stuff isn't even close to the same league as this (neither is Melbourne really) and at least they were punished with the loss of draft picks.

What's your point exactly? How does any of that relate to Essendon theoretically doing a deal with an anti-doping authority to escape penalty for systematically doping? It would be disgraceful for the AFL, ASADA and sport in general if such a thing were to occur.

Agree, but what I'm trying to highlight is that the AFL will be moving heaven and earth to ensure that Essendon aren't punished for this. The last thing they will want is to have one of their clubs having to forfeit games or having to draft in another 20 players temporarily just to play out the season.

I don't think that the AFL give two hoots about the potential implications to sport in general. Highlighted by the previous examples...

FWIW, I actually agree with you, don't get me wrong. I've got family working at Essendon in the fitness department, so I know people who may get impacted severely by this - but if there is evidence of wrongdoing, then people need to be punished according to the laws... I just don't think the AFL are all that into the concept myself...

Agree, but what I'm trying to highlight is that the AFL will be moving heaven and earth to ensure that Essendon aren't punished for this. The last thing they will want is to have one of their clubs having to forfeit games or having to draft in another 20 players temporarily just to play out the season.

I'll lose what little respect I have left for the current AFL administration if they did.

They made an example of Carlton for salary cap breaches and this is far more serious than that.

If Essendon are found guilty and the AFL try get them off - thereby practically condoning the use of PED's in this league - well, we might as well all give up and go watch the WWE.

I'll lose what little respect I have left for the current AFL administration if they did.

They made an example of Carlton for salary cap breaches and this is far more serious than that.

If Essendon are found guilty and the AFL try get them off - thereby practically condoning the use of PED's in this league - well, we might as well all give up and go watch the WWE.

I have no doubt the AFL are working behind the scenes to minimise the pain to Essendon, for the sole purpose of minimising the pain to the AFL. I don't believe that the organisation has any credibility left, but that's just my 2c...

Bombers will not be suspended. AFL is a multi million dollar well oiled machine that is massive in terms of economy in this country. RL is a shambolic wanna be little brother that are run like a carnival at Rosebud in late January. I will laugh my arse off when the RL flogs around AUs cry, bitch and moan when they watch their mob get rubbed out, but then get to see the Bombers smash GWS the week later. Love it.
How is fantasy land at the moment? If you really believe that you have no idea of how sport is really run in this country.

The AFL did an underhand deal which was not offered to the NRL the repercussion for ASADA as their lawyers would've pointed out would've been massive. Firstly the law suits for the NRL players, which would've blown the ASADA budget out of the water, secondly the WADA would've blown a gasket and demanded that those invovled be sacked immediately for bring them into disrepute for such a deal, this would also of made the Australian government look like idiots.

The deal is definitely no longer on the table, it is doubtful if it ever would've got signed off properly anyway by the lawyers from what I've heard as any appeal to Court of Arbitration for Sport by the NRL of preference deals for the same offence would've won.

The AFL is now back in the same boat as the NRL, the only problem is they have far more to lose financially from 45 players at Essendon being suspended that the NRL does for 14 Cronulla players suffering the same fate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back