How seriously do you take football?

Remove this Banner Ad

Until it is a fair competition, not to serious.
It is turning into WWE where the story matters more than the game.
The commentary box market themselves more than the game half the time. The flood of coach interviews has reached unbearable levels. There's only so much bullshit one can take.

Even the bloody umpiring has become a means to entertain.

Apart from live games, the general footballing experience at the moment is probably better when in some backwater without bullshit like sen/Eddie etc in your ear.

I was surprised at how unemotional I was after we lost the GF last year, which wouldn’t have been the case 5+ years ago.
Most crows supporters I have spoken to had an adrenaline dump after the power stance, and were drained for the remainder of the game.

The commentary box market themselves more than the game half the time. The flood of coach interviews has reached unbearable levels. There's only so much bullshit one can take.

Apart from live games, the general footballing experience at the moment is probably better when in some backwater without bullshit like sen/Eddie etc in your ear.
Yep, stopped listening to the AFL media who are inept and unwilling to criticise the AFL for risk of harm to there organisation.

Commentary Box = Cashed up bogans

Interest: High
Passion: Medium
Fanaticism: Extra low

I love footy. Could happily chat about it at a BBQ, at work, etc. for hours on end, and watch 6+ games a weekend
I generally go to at least 1 and up to 3 game a weekend depending on logistics/other plans etc.
I like supercoach and ultimate footy.
Will watch 360 most nights just for news, updates, etc.
Game could have nothing to do with Essendon and ill still take interest in it.

But at the end of the day, its just a game.

Honestly probably one of the most important parts of my life. Watch 7-8 games a week, watch my mates playing in my local team, supercoach, go to at least one neutral game at the G because I like to make use of my MCC membership.

I have never been happier (and more stressed) than I was in September of last year.

It also builds off the relationship between my father and I (and to a slightly lesser extent my brother), I'm 20 and have been going 5-10 tiges games a year for at least 12 of those years.

It has all been worth it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How seriously do I take Football?

Serious enough that I'm wrapt with a good win.
Also serious enough that a loss feels deflating.
Not serious enough to let a win or loss define my mood on the weekend though.

At the end of the day, what I enjoy most about the footy is watching a good game, having a drink with some mates and enjoying my weekend after another tough week of work.

Until it is a fair competition, not to serious.
It is turning into WWE where the story matters more than the game.

Ah, yes, if your team is doing poorly and a team you dislike is winning it’s all a big conspiracy. The modern football fan culture of sooking and making excuses instead of riding the bumps of rebuilding and contending, losing and winning finals sours the game for me quite a bit. Some people need to just have a beer or two and enjoy the game for the ups, downs and the storylines that it provides us with.

Ah, yes, if your team is doing poorly and a team you dislike is winning it’s all a big conspiracy. The modern football fan culture of sooking and making excuses instead of riding the bumps of rebuilding and contending, losing and winning finals sours the game for me quite a bit. Some people need to just have a beer or two and enjoy the game for the ups, downs and the storylines that it provides us with.

is that you in my mind, and where have i mentioned a big conspiracy?
The AFL, media and a alot of its supporters are complacent of the pitfalls of the AFL competition, if you think all is fine in the way the competition is run then lol to you.
The AFL are trying to patch up its downfalls but it doesnt want to bite the bullet and make tough decisions, it seems like it panders to its media partners more than the supporter, yes yes $$$$ talks, BS walks.

Anyway have a few of these ****

I wish it didn't effect my weekends as much as it does. Crows lose and I'm grumpy for the next 24 hours - win and I'm all smiles

The Grand Final was fking terrible living in Melbourne - Sat through the Geelong prelim the week before at a funeral procession as 'neutral fans' just wanted to see a close contest. The next weekend those same 'neutrals' are cockahoot all day over a game just as one sided -

Plus Richmond supporters now piss me off more than Swampies....

But it's totally irrational - even writing this is getting my.frustration levels rising but why? There is literally nothing i can do about it

I wish it didn't effect my weekends as much as it does. Crows lose and I'm grumpy for the next 24 hours - win and I'm all smiles

The Grand Final was fking terrible living in Melbourne - Sat through the Geelong prelim the week before at a funeral procession as 'neutral fans' just wanted to see a close contest. The next weekend those same 'neutrals' are cockahoot all day over a game just as one sided -

Plus Richmond supporters now piss me off more than Swampies....

But it's totally irrational - even writing this is getting my.frustration levels rising but why? There is literally nothing i can do about it
Passion. And football is in your DNA. You're a fanatic.

The below quotes define the purpose of this thread, perfectly:
Some people need to just have a beer or two and enjoy the game for the ups, downs and the storylines that it provides us with.
The AFL, media and a alot of its supporters are complacent of the pitfalls of the AFL competition, if you think all is fine in the way the competition is run then lol to you.

I didn't think I took it that seriously until i noticed my tears of joy with 10 to go in the GF.

The overbloated AFL boys club, AFL media whores(99%) who so blatantly tow the company line, the obsession with 'defensive pressure' by coaches, on field congestion, greedy clubs pretending to care about its fans whilst ripping them off from all angles, clubs/AFL promoting social causes whilst spreading their legs to betting agencies, 'theme rounds', manufactured outcomes to scandals...... have kind of killed off my passion for the game over the past decade. The whole AFL 'industry' sickens me actually. Far too obsessed with $$$$, self interest, self promotion and self preservation.
Still go to every North game in Vic though. It's a good day out with the kids and catching up with mates. However the emotional impact of winning or losing has diminished quite a bit the past decade as the game has turned more and more into 'business'. Also don't spend too much time on other footy related stuff(tv, radio, SuperCoach, tipping, general banter) as much as I used to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back