How seriously do you take football?

Remove this Banner Ad

when things aren't going that well... I look to the footy.

when things aren't going all that well... I look to the footy.

when I just want a happy thought.. I look to the grand finals...

when I want to have a fight about things I look to the footy and who I can argue with...

when I need to chat about stupid stuff and not quite be dumbed down... BF... ;)

when I just want to have a chat about crap... well who knows?

Footy has already lost that something for me. The game is so sanitized now and all 18 clubs have a sameness about them that every time you watch a game now it feels like the same 36 blokes just changing jumpers. The tactics have ment that individual flair is at an all time low and eccentric players are almost all fazed out of the game. The AFL has banned almost all physical contact which means the players just cuddle each other on the field now and you hardly feel like they care either. To top that off the media is so geared towards running negative stories about the game and the players that everyone is scared to sneeze for fear of being judged. I do honestly wonder if after a Melbourne premiership I'll check out for good.

Still watch every game despite living overseas for 5+ years. So I'm equally passionate in that sense. However, I don't get upset by losses as much as I used to when I was a kid.

Although to be fair, when I was a kid we weren't amazing but were at least consistently making finals between 98 and 06.

In the past, insanely serious. Even within the last decade.

Now, not seriously at all. Doesn’t mean remotely as much.
I was insane in the early 2000's, now I couldnt give rats arse to be honest, can barely summon the want to attend these days. I used to hang on every injury,piece of news etc...now...total meh. I still enjoy flicking on the TV to watch games, but I just dont give a s**t anymore.
I even find a bit funny or quaint looking/listening to these other people that hang so much importance on it. Might be a getting older thing I dont know.

I care during the game, but the rest of the time its more a casual interest. I wouldn't know half the players on our list any more, much less other teams; its just not that important.
This lol, could name five or six saints players I think. I give as much of a shite as I feel is reflected back by the club and players and the AFL itself these days. That is, precious little.

when things aren't going that well... I look to the footy.

when things aren't going all that well... I look to the footy.

when I just want a happy thought.. I look to the grand finals...

when I want to have a fight about things I look to the footy and who I can argue with...

when I need to chat about stupid stuff and not quite be dumbed down... BF... ;)

when I just want to have a chat about crap... well who knows?
So you're saying you like football?

I enjoy going more when the team is struggling or not expected to win. That's when you're surrounded by true supporters and see people digging really deep and see what players are made of.

It was a bit different during the years when you're playing really well and expected to win, hardly worth going along except when the atmosphere gets really big.

I've enjoyed going to neutral games a lot more lately, the GWS v Richmond Prelim was a great spectacle. Neutral games used to account for about 10% of my attendances, now it's probably 30-40% over the last 5 years.

I went to my first game when I was 3 years old in 1996. My male cousin is one year older than me and my uncle was so happy to have a boy to take. I tagged along as you do and my cousin hated it and I loved it! I was obsessed. I wouldn’t miss a game and my mum and nan changed from their respected teams and followed Melbourne because of me. I took it seriously and I also played. When a child came into my life I realised there was more to life than football but now he is just as obsessed with it which I love! He gets really upset and mad after we lose so I’ve learnt to teach him that it’s just a game and it doesn’t matter but I think I’ve taught myself that haha

Couldn't give a frack. The game has been bastardised to the point where it's nowhere near the spectacle it once was. Mostly due to so many rule changes that even the players and umpires don't know what's going on half the time. Honestly, what kind of sport has a 'rules comittee' who's only function is to change the rules every year? I only watch my teams games now and it's mostly just to see the result. I'm sure there'll be some good games and great moments I'll see this season, but I will never live and breathe the sport like I did as a kid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Couldn't give a frack. The game has been bastardised to the point where it's nowhere near the spectacle it once was. Mostly due to so many rule changes that even the players and umpires don't know what's going on half the time. Honestly, what kind of sport has a 'rules comittee' who's only function is to change the rules every year? I only watch my teams games now and it's mostly just to see the result. I'm sure there'll be some good games and great moments I'll see this season, but I will never live and breathe the sport like I did as a kid.

Yep, the only thing important to me is that Hawthorn Football Club remains solvent. All the rest is chicken s**t.

Have been pretty committed to the game for the majority of my life as a relatively outspoken tigers supporter, if more jovial than anything else. Everything really ramped up last season when I found this forum in the off season and pretty much checked it regularly whilst attending and watching almost every match. Hard to predict whether i'll have the same tenacity this season, but I suppose time will tell.

I used to be nuts about footy from young until I was in my early 20's. First Eagles, the Dockers when they came in. Nuts about them which obviously was hard and players like Winston Abraham and then Pavlich the bright spark of enjoyment. Then I cooled off for at least 5 years. Only really paying attention to the odd, finals, and GF. But it was just "fun". Then I got super interested in footy again starting in about 2010 Grand finals started to feel cutthroat again. I looked forward to the 7/fox broadcast deal and was fully invested in footy again in 2012. And my team looking good.

Rode that tense high of finals "success" for years, and now that Pavlich is gone, and the whole team is gutted (for the good, ultimately) like Barlow and co etc. And all that's left is a handful from the 2013 campaign... This lineup doesn't feel like "my team" yet. And without success in a couple years it's a kind of ghostly getting into footy. I'm finding myself invested in each game when it comes along, who I want to win etc, and letting passion for my own team languish until we are more in the hunt. So my investment is managed.

That's just all the RAM I got for footy and for freo these days.

I used to be nuts about footy from young until I was in my early 20's. First Eagles, the Dockers when they came in. Nuts about them which obviously was hard and players like Winston Abraham and then Pavlich the bright spark of enjoyment. Then I cooled off for at least 5 years. Only really paying attention to the odd, finals, and GF. But it was just "fun". Then I got super interested in footy again starting in about 2010 Grand finals started to feel cutthroat again. I looked forward to the 7/fox broadcast deal and was fully invested in footy again in 2012. And my team looking good.

Rode that tense high of finals "success" for years, and now that Pavlich is gone, and the whole team is gutted (for the good, ultimately) like Barlow and co etc. And all that's left is a handful from the 2013 campaign... This lineup doesn't feel like "my team" yet. And without success in a couple years it's a kind of ghostly getting into footy. I'm finding myself invested in each game when it comes along, who I want to win etc, and letting passion for my own team languish until we are more in the hunt. So my investment is managed.

That's just all the RAM I got for footy and for freo these days.
Norte Fyfe/// no just accurate... and spelling is optional.

Pretty seriously.

I love the game and absolutely adore Port Adelaide. I got given a lot of s**t in real life during our Primus era so I do rely on the team doing well to make me happy and keep the flogs at bay, but I have matured a lot in the sense that I can tolerate losing games, unless of course it's a very, very big game.

A Port Adelaide AFL premiership would mean the world to me and nothing could make me happier than that!

To add to this, I'm a pretty dedicated supporter.

I go to all our games in Victoria, travel interstate occasionally for other games and even went to the game in Shanghai last year. When I go to games I arrive early and leave late to attend the functions put on by the club, and as for every other Port game on TV, it's hard to see myself missing it or doing something else while the game is on. I've only missed two games this decade and they were both due to being at concerts.

I watch and pay close attention to all the other games on each weekend and am always up to watch the footy no matter who's playing.

So it's pretty safe to say that I like Port Adelaide, and footy in general, a lot.

To add to this, I'm a pretty dedicated supporter.

I go to all our games in Victoria, travel interstate occasionally for other games and even went to the game in Shanghai last year. When I go to games I arrive early and leave late to attend the functions put on by the club, and as for every other Port game on TV, it's hard to see myself missing it or doing something else while the game is on. I've only missed two games this decade and they were both due to being at concerts.

I watch and pay close attention to all the other games on each weekend and am always up to watch the footy no matter who's playing.

So it's pretty safe to say that I like Port Adelaide, and footy in general, a lot.
That's awesome. To travel to China for a game, I'd say you're pretty *en nuts. In a good way.

Collingwood used to dictate how my week went.

If we won, I would watch the replay at every chance and if we lost, I'd be pretty glum about it.

Now I'm over the results in 5 minutes. I've found other sporting interests and other teams I like so it no longer really bothers me.

Still love it but the Swans’ season last year really knocked it out of me.

After the 2016 GF, where there was still only a kick in it with 7 mins to go, to then lose THE FIRST SIX GAMES of 2017. WTF?

And then to go on the most awesome winning streak imaginable. WTF?

And then that stupid, stupid finals series, where we smashed Essendon, only to be smashed by Geelong the following week and make me go f*** you Swans, for making me think you were serious.

(But then, just to rub salt in a very raw wound, for Geelong to be smashed by Adelaide the following week. And then for Adelaide to be smashed by Richmond. FMD. I throw my hands in the air. Gonna take a long time to win back my trust.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back