How seriously do you take football?

Remove this Banner Ad

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Growing up as a kid, I was as passionate as they come. I still am, although that same level of intensity isn't there like it was for most of my life. I remember when Geelong lost, it was if someone had died at my household. It literally felt like do or die, man my dad was a basket case looking back at it. I still am fanatical, love the game, get pissed off if there are dubious calls or the umps influence the outcome. But now I'm far more philosophical and mature about losses. After all, it is just a game. Probably comes with growing up too, you don't give a s**t. You put things into perspective. The Last 10-15 years I changed my attitude, and certainly the last 2-3 I just enjoy it more and more for the spectacle and enjoyment aspect. I still watch a lot of games and in many respects am more patriotic, I'm not going to act like I'm at a ******* funeral should Geelong lose though. Which as a kid, sure as hell felt like I was at one.

Around 2014-2016, when we were actually decent, it would kill me when we lost. I'd think about it all week, until the next game.

It's actually a relief now that we're rebuilding, because there's no expectations and a win is a nice surprise.

Growing up as a kid, I was as passionate as they come. I still am, although that same level of intensity isn't there like it was for most of my life. I remember when Geelong lost, it was if someone had died at my household. It literally felt like do or die, man my dad was a basket case looking back at it. I still am fanatical, love the game, get pissed off if there are dubious calls or the umps influence the outcome. But now I'm far more philosophical and mature about losses. After all, it is just a game. Probably comes with growing up too, you don't give a s**t. You put things into perspective. The Last 10-15 years I changed my attitude, and certainly the last 2-3 I just enjoy it more and more for the spectacle and enjoyment aspect. I still watch a lot of games and in many respects am more patriotic, I'm not going to act like I'm at a ******* funeral should Geelong lose though. Which as a kid, sure as hell felt like I was at one.

Change Geelong to Hawthorn and I could have written that post. Excellent outlook!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Footy is very different now for me than it was growing up. West Perth footy club was football to me and they were the club I grew up with and are in my heart.
The Eagles are my AFL club but I really just barrack for them, they are not in my heart and are just a business to follow for me.
More importantly the game itself has had way to many unnecessary rule changes and is completely different sport to what I grew up playing and watching.
Still have interest in the game but no where near what I once did.

A big passion of mine. Started following it between 2005-06 when I was in the middle of primary school. Back then, I was a pretty biased fan who had a tendency to blame the umps or say the other team got lucky when we lost. Have really fond memories of my early years following footy around that same period. I was pretty lucky that I followed the Dees at a time when we could actually make the finals :D

Since the middle of the 2015 season, I've gained an appreciation watching footy as a neutral and love not just watching games but also I've become more interested in other clubs besides my own particularly in the list management side of things. Basically I've become a footy nerd the past few years and I love it. Going into the 2018 season, this is the most passionate I've ever been about footy and I'm really looking forward to this season as well as the coming years.

Have basically gone to all our Melbourne games in a given season for a long while now and have had reserved seats since late high school.

2016 I started to care more than ever because I could see the side was good enough. Was flat when injuries hit and we slumped to 7th. That finals series was an insane month and I made it to all but the WA final.

I oddly cared more than ever early last year but I’m kind of glad the air got let out of the tyres. I still care but don’t have to worry about dying without seeing a flag and it’s a relief the expectations were corrected. If I found out the players felt that way I’d lose it though.

Pretty seriously.

I love the game and absolutely adore Port Adelaide. I got given a lot of s**t in real life during our Primus era so I do rely on the team doing well to make me happy and keep the flogs at bay, but I have matured a lot in the sense that I can tolerate losing games, unless of course it's a very, very big game.

A Port Adelaide AFL premiership would mean the world to me and nothing could make me happier than that!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back