How seriously do you take football?

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Watch almost every game. As I stated in the initial post, I don't get as upset if Geelong lose like I used to. But with each passing year, I get more and more into the game of Australian Rules Football. I love the game itself. That doesn't mean the state of it is always great or hasn't diminished. But for the sport itself, I ******* love it.

james Dean

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2006
Otherside of the Tracks
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
PHX, NUFC, Pats
From about 4-21 I was obsessed. I would watch any and every game, every weekly show read all the news and be emotionally invested.

22-26 I was still a passionate Carlton supporter. Traveling to Melbourne every year to see a game or two and would never miss their games on TV. I would watch all the big games and finals on TV but not be as immersed as before.

27-29 - I have really lost all passion for it. I can watch a game at the pub with a few mates but won't sit down at home and watch any games. I will still check the scores and follow the headline news but don't really give a s**t either way. I've probably only watched 3-4 Carlton games this season from siren to siren and just have no emotional involvement at all.

TRP1996

Premiership Player
Apr 20, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
It is my life. My love. My creed.

In all seriousness I was pretty serious about it as a kid and devotedly watched every game I could. Now, I watch the Crows' games and 10/15 minute snippets of other games if they seem interesting (+last quarters, if it's close).

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
demondavey^^^^

now that's a man who loves football! Welcome back son.

Too seriously

Sometimes I can’t really enjoy it,

But yeah once I had kids I tend to move on quicker from losing

But depends who you play and who your mates support, losing to say GWS doesn’t bother me as much because I don’t know any fans where I am, hawthorn well surrounded by them

Jun 20, 2011
Brisbane, QLD
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool F.C., LAL
I love it as much as I ever have. Growing up in Central Vic, from the ages of 14-17 I caught the train down to Melbourne every weekend and saw at least one, if not two games a weekend, plus watching as many others as I could on TV around my own football games. Living in Brissy these days for work I have a Brisbane membership to go along with my North one, just so I can attend Gabba matches. However I still get to Melbourne for a couple of rounds a year. Still watch as many games as I can each weekend on phone, TV, macbook.

I follow just about every sport under the sun, but nothing grabs me quite like our game.

I don't pay attention to anything except my team. I only pay attention to the games we play. No radio shows, no television variety show wannabes, no analysis shows. Siren to siren 4 quarter games and that's it. Then I get salty when we lose. That's all.
Pretty much this.

I watched three and a half games this weekend.

Go back a couple of years and that would have been a pretty standard weekend. This year however it’s been the most I’ve watched and by a fair margin. Most weeks it’s just Collingwood.

Last edited:

Swoop

Debutant
Apr 2, 2006
Corner Hotel
AFL Club
Richmond
I get to all home games and most away games in Melbourne. I usually get to one interstate game a year. I was probably most passionate between 1976 and 2017 but the weight of expectation has taken away some of the joy. Not used to a successful team. Although I still can’t read a paper for a week if we lose. I do enjoy the footy and I’ll enjoy the Tigers success while it lasts coz it was a very long 37 years.

From about 4-21 I was obsessed. I would watch any and every game, every weekly show read all the news and be emotionally invested.

22-26 I was still a passionate Carlton supporter. Traveling to Melbourne every year to see a game or two and would never miss their games on TV. I would watch all the big games and finals on TV but not be as immersed as before.

27-29 - I have really lost all passion for it. I can watch a game at the pub with a few mates but won't sit down at home and watch any games. I will still check the scores and follow the headline news but don't really give a s**t either way. I've probably only watched 3-4 Carlton games this season from siren to siren and just have no emotional involvement at all.
Your team sucking may play a part in your lack of emotional involvement.

What is annoying is the fan who doesn’t care giving it to you when they win

But they probably didn’t watch and when your side beats them they don’t give a s**t, but if they win they don’t shut up

Annoying that it means more to you

BIRDBRAIN

Premiership Player
Aug 12, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
AFL has definitely lost it's tribal aspect with expansion. There is more games per week but so many of them are almost meaningless or involve one or more teams that have very few supporters. The addition of Gold Coast has ruined the Lions and now the two Queensland teams get less average crowd than what Brisbane did alone before they were brought in. The GWS, I have never met a supporter of that fake AFL-funded team, they must be as rare as rocking-horse s**t. Other games are moved to tassie where North or Hawthorn play the interstate sides and noone there cares, or games get moved to the middle of nowhere outback and get 5k in attendance.

The Melbourne etihad tennants, the 2nd class citizens of the AFL have lost their home ground advantages and their identities and play in a soulless stadium which keeps them poor and irrelevant, this has further eroded the old tribalism and rivalries which used to exist amongst the Victorian clubs. It's a sad state of affairs all around really.

Paganism mark II

Etihad Stadium, Locker room end
May 15, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I was ridiculously passionate and caught up.
Saw our 2 flags in the 90’s, had kids and still loved North but priorities change.
Now my son goes every week and keeps complaining he’ll never see a flag in his adult life (born in 95 so he was too young for our 96,99 ones) so now I desperately want them to succeed for him

Apr 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
What is annoying is the fan who doesn’t care giving it to you when they win

But they probably didn’t watch and when your side beats them they don’t give a s**t, but if they win they don’t shut up

Annoying that it means more to you
haha, this pretty much sums up how I follow the game. Enjoy the wins, but don't get down about the losses. There's more to life!

shaqsuns

Club Legend
Jun 13, 2011
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Cleveland Cavaliers
Once upon a Time I took the whole week off work so I could live and breath grand final week and sit on big footy. Now I watch about 3 games a year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bjwilliams

All Australian
Apr 6, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Depends on what happens. But being bad for the past 12 years has made it easy not to get emotionally invested in losses.

A win will make me happy for a few days.
A close loss or losing to a terrible team might bother me for a few hours after the game.
A regular loss against someone around us on the ladder doesnt bother me by the time I leave the G.
Losing when we should lose (against Richmond for example) doesn't bother me at all and I expect it going in.

haha, this pretty much sums up how I follow the game. Enjoy the wins, but don't get down about the losses. There's more to life!

Yeah but you watch it I presume?

I mean those fans who don’t even know half their players

If I find the time I will sit and watch. Sunday's game was delayed though, so I followed scores online, then didn't bother watching once I knew the result.

That’s still actively involved

I’m talking say the equivalent of an eagles fan who thinks Judd and Cousins are still playing

I’ll be 45 soon. I reckon if the tigers salute with a back to back, that will just about do it for me. Footy will just be something i take the kids to.
Footy used to be awesome because it was that release you could have after a long week at work. The beauty of it was it was the peoples game. It wasn’t about politics, messages, anything, it was just footy.
Now, every round has a theme, they keep tinkering with the game, it’s big business, it’s about branding, gambling ads, s**t so loud blaring at every break at the venues you can’t even talk to the person next to you ect etc.
I don’t go to the footy to have pc messages rammed down my throat, I don’t really care for any of the themed rounds except for womens round, anzac day and the dreamtime game. It doesn’t resemble a thing i grew up with which was just footy. We didn’t have *******s like Razor Ray prancing about. In fact the umps used to give the players a spray back. It was a mans game. Now we have Brooooooce and co telling us what to think at the AFL’s behest. Womens footy, isn’t it great. Actually no, it’s ******* terrible. Womens cricket is a far superior game skill wise.
So, in short, I don’t really take it seriously at all because it’s so unrecognisable from what i used to see years ago. Truth be told, i enjoy local football possibly more than the AFL now (except for my beloved tigers).
#endoldmanoldendaysrant

Sent from my iPad using righteous Bhodi manpower

Back