How seriously do you take football?

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFL numbers are nonsense. Clubs in WA are struggling to field under 17's sides now. Many clubs can't at all. There has always been a drop off but it is much more substantial now as these idiots at AFL house are telling young boys at an early age whether or not they could be on a possible draft radar. the ones that are not told just walk away.

Tassie is rooted. Country vic is in massive trouble as well as clubs fold and leagues merge. But hey, we got a second team in QLD, womens footy is just ace and chicks with dicks are a serious issue......* me drunk.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Playing seriously, watching not so seriously. Except for bombers games against rivals. Think football games are great, the sideshow gets annoying (trade talk all year, MRP, politics etc). Finals round the corner and the focus is changing the game, Tom lynch and priority picks. Talk about this year firstly.

The ******* Tom Lynch saga, i am sick of it. The Lynch thread on our board got closed down because even to us it became a piss take. Tom Browne and his “big news” on a Saturday night. All he’s doing is scouring BF for rumours.
Don’t even get me started on commentary teams and the media and how bias and bloated that is. What a great old boys network that is....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the games are exciting I'll try to watch as many as possible. Probably correlates with how much I have on that weekend. If they're not my interest wanes. Like I may watch Port vs Bombers, but there are no real stakes. Port are for all intents out. Pumped for Hawks Swans though.

Not so seriously any more. Used to yell and scream my lungs out during games but just dont care so much. Nothing to do with the state of the game or any bs like that. More to do with feeling like ive seen the best Eagles teams ever during the 90's and 00's. Similar to cricket. After experiencing a golden era of Warne, Gilchrist, McGrath, Ponting, Waugh, Clarke, Hayden, Langer, Lee, etc its hard to get excited about the next batch coming through when you know you've probably seen the best Australian cricket team in your lifetime retire.

Im not sure if the Eagles will ever be able to beat the 90's of Matera, Kemp, Sumich, Heady, Worsfold, Jackovich or the 00's of Cousins, Judd, Kerr, Cox, Glass, Waters, Embley, Wirrpanda, Chick. I miss the old days :(

Wowy... that's a serious time commitment. Do you do nothing else on the weekends but watch afl?

Some games I tape on Foxtel and watch later because I am a shift worker so I work a lot of weekends. Having a social life went out the window a long time ago haha.

My Facebook memories from 7-10 years ago is embarrassing. The emotional roller coaster Collingwood used to put me through.

I’ve got family friend that is a diehard Richmond supporter. The way he carries on now has made me more concious about how I go about it next time Collingwood are premiers.

I watch lots of footy every weekend , I have had it in my life since I was a child and a small child , I don't remember not barracking for Hawthorn

My entire family are brainwashed and insane Hawthorn people, my adult children are fanatics one goes insane watching and sometimes I think he goes too far with anger, then I have to think of myself , because the last few years with the way the game has changed and the messing of rules and congestion frustrating every one, I wonder how I haven't had a nervous break down.

Australian Rules, I played at school and I played amateur footy as an adult, for a few years , but definitely an amateur.

I was brought up and lived my life until I was 40 yo, in Victoria, and am totally versed in all the culture of our game.

In Victoria the first question you ever got asked when you moved to a new school was "who do ya barrack for???"

I still go back, its home, but it also is a fanatical massive culture that goes way beyond the game itself, Aussie football is a way of life.

I found in my home state, that you can sit down with a stranger and wind up talking in detail about footy , and I mean down to the tin tacks
in depth , conversation about every team, people just live it. I see it to a degree in some other states , but nothing like Melbourne.

Every bastards an expert, ha ha ha !

So I consider it part of what I am. I guess that's reasonably serious.

I was born into a football family, Dad, Siblings, Uncles, Aunts, Cousins and friends we are all members, Our reserved seats are in the same section we have 50 year members right through to 1 year members. (I'm 27 years I think, Turn 30 next week yay). It's awesome being part of it all it's a great way to keep in touch with family and friends, Wouldn't change a thing.
That's fantastic.

All the best for your 30th too, good going mate:thumbsu:

I watch lots of footy every weekend , I have had it in my life since I was a child and a small child , I don't remember not barracking for Hawthorn

My entire family are brainwashed and insane Hawthorn people, my adult children are fanatics one goes insane watching and sometimes I think he goes too far with anger, then I have to think of myself , because the last few years with the way the game has changed and the messing of rules and congestion frustrating every one, I wonder how I haven't had a nervous break down.

Australian Rules, I played at school and I played amateur footy as an adult, for a few years , but definitely an amateur.

I was brought up and lived my life until I was 40 yo, in Victoria, and am totally versed in all the culture of our game.

In Victoria the first question you ever got asked when you moved to a new school was "who do ya barrack for???"

I still go back, its home, but it also is a fanatical massive culture that goes way beyond the game itself, Aussie football is a way of life.

I found in my home state, that you can sit down with a stranger and wind up talking in detail about footy , and I mean down to the tin tacks
in depth , conversation about every team, people just live it. I see it to a degree in some other states , but nothing like Melbourne.

Every bastards an expert, ha ha ha !

So I consider it part of what I am. I guess that's reasonably serious.
That's a *en awesome post. I love it, and I understand it. All of it.

Good stuff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Too seriously.

Footy is everything to me. I've been told I get way to invested and emotional when I'm watching the Cats (and especially the day Gazza came back). I was born into footy really, I can't understand what life would be like if I wasn't watching the Cats play week in week out. It's all worth it though, the amazing thrills and the great mood I carry through the week when we have a great win (Zach Tuohy?) is incredible. I wouldn't have it any other way

I look forward to the games and i'm Very serious during the game, but pretty much as soon as the match ends I don't care about the result. Anyone else the same?

Winning and losing certainly has an impact on the my mood for the following week, i don't tend to see much of our dog when we lose.

Housemate a few years back cared nothing about the game, but made sure she knew how Richmond went so she'd know if I'd be in a pissy mood.

But as times gone on, my interest has been declining. As things stand, my team is reigning premiers, top of the ladder and favorites to win this year, so I should be right into it, but really I can barely be bothered any more. I'm seriously thinking this might be my last season when I watch/follow (almost) every game (that I do so now more out of habit than anything).

I had a realisation the other day that I think goes to the core of the problem. Years back, the game was all about the clubs, and you'd only hear about the league when something unusual happened...You knew they were important, but it was all in the background...You never actually heard about them. These days the league gets far more press than any club and are constantly putting themselves forward for more.

It's a joke lol. Or more specifically a business not a real sporting competition.

Housemate a few years back cared nothing about the game, but made sure she knew how Richmond went so she'd know if I'd be in a pissy mood.

But as times gone on, my interest has been declining. As things stand, my team is reigning premiers, top of the ladder and favorites to win this year, so I should be right into it, but really I can barely be bothered any more. I'm seriously thinking this might be my last season when I watch/follow (almost) every game (that I do so now more out of habit than anything).

I had a realisation the other day that I think goes to the core of the problem. Years back, the game was all about the clubs, and you'd only hear about the league when something unusual happened...You knew they were important, but it was all in the background...You never actually heard about them. These days the league gets far more press than any club and are constantly putting themselves forward for more.

I can SO relate to this bro.

I name my dog Milne and I refuse to wash him.

That way when we lose I didn't feel bad about kicking the s**t out of Milne the dirty dog

That's how serious I take football

Not so seriously any more. Used to yell and scream my lungs out during games but just dont care so much. Nothing to do with the state of the game or any bs like that. More to do with feeling like ive seen the best Eagles teams ever during the 90's and 00's. Similar to cricket. After experiencing a golden era of Warne, Gilchrist, McGrath, Ponting, Waugh, Clarke, Hayden, Langer, Lee, etc its hard to get excited about the next batch coming through when you know you've probably seen the best Australian cricket team in your lifetime retire.

Im not sure if the Eagles will ever be able to beat the 90's of Matera, Kemp, Sumich, Heady, Worsfold, Jackovich or the 00's of Cousins, Judd, Kerr, Cox, Glass, Waters, Embley, Wirrpanda, Chick. I miss the old days :(

cricket... used to love it in 80's and 90's...didn't miss a ball...

now i cant *ing stand it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back